People are getting calls from my number and I am not making them!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

People are getting calls from my number and I am not making them!!

I am repeatedly getting calls from unknown people saying that they are calling me back as they just call from my number a while ago. Strange thing is, I haven't made any calls today at all.

Their call display is showing my name and number calling. My phone shows no records of outgoing calls to anyone today. I'm not pocket dialing. I don't know them. No one is borrowing my phone.

Anyone have any idea what is happening here?

Thanks
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: People are getting calls from my number and I am not making them!!

What you are probably encountering is called "spoofing". A telemarketer or scammer can make his phone calls look like they're coming from any name/number they want.  You've been unlucky that they've chosen your phone number.

For example, I might have the phone number 514-123-1234.  I often receive phone calls from the same exchange that are telemarketers to make me think that someone "nearby" is trying to get a hold of me.  The number may be something like 514-123-XXXX.  I never answer calls from anyone that isn't in my phone's directory...

Let's hope that the following legislation will soon bring an end to spoofing:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

Note that most telemarketers/scammers use auto-dialers to make calls to "everyone", so even an unlisted number can receive telemarketing/scam calls.   They may also have sophisticated spoofing technology so that when they dial numbers in a certain exchange, they can make it look like they're calling from the same exchange.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: People are getting calls from my number and I am not making them!!

Their call display is showing my name and number calling. My phone shows no records of outgoing calls to anyone today. I'm not pocket dialing. I don't know them. No one is borrowing my phone.

Are you absolutely sure your NAME as well as Number is being shown on their display? a lot of times its your number being spoofed, and just the number only, NOT the name.  Some people will tell you your number AND NAME are being shown to you but you should not take their word for it.  Its likely a Scammer

Scammers are using Autodialer technology to call every number possible to try to sell them something or commit fraud.  When a scammer picks an outbound number to use for his call display, its most of the time picked at Random, and he or she has NO idea who you are nor your name, so when they call people,, people with call display will see just your number only, in the name field it will usually be blank or say unknown name.

This is not new, this actually happened to me a few times, once on a "personal" cell phone of mine, and another on a "work" phone of mine which was brand new, the number had never been given out before.

All you can do is pray the scammers stop calling people from your number, there is nothing you can do to stop this, they eventually stop and change their number to another unsuspecting victim and continue the same scam over and over.  nothing you can do, but good on you for bringing attention to this matter.