New Rogers Scam call or not?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers Scam call or not?

@cshell23 wrote:

I receive a call from this number every single day but when I pick up, no one answers and then the call ends.

call Rogers and ask them to block the number

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @cshell23

My sister kept getting those calls from that number. On her Android device she was able to block the number and it stopped.

If you have a Android device or IPhone you can have the number blocked from calling you.

The other step is calling Rogers and giving then the number. Ask them to block it from ur account.
I've Been Here Awhile

Daily calls with home phone/internet/cable offers for new customers

I have been a rogers customer for almost 30 years. I really hate getting 2-3 calls a day offering me $99 cable/internet/home phone for new customers. If you are Rogers phoning me, then you know I am already a customer. You should give me this deal just to stop pissing me off EVERY DAY.
And if not Rogers then I would Think that Rogers would want to take proactive action since someone is out there claiming to be you!

Hello, @Shrekshoney

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I can certainly comprehend your position, I appreciate your 30 years loyalty. It's not ideal to receive promotion calls meant for new customers.

I suggest updating your marketing permissions by following the instructions listed on this blog

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

Roger's 3rd Party Offer Valid or Not?

I have been getting phone calls from a 3rd party telemarketing firm representing Rogers. The first time they called, their system crashed and they couldn't pull up my information.

They called again today, offering a discount of 3 months free, plus 9 months of 60U internet for $22/month ($20/month? not quite sure). I decided to move forward with everything, but asked them to call back later after two incidents, that I would like cleared up by a Rogers rep on here:

1. They weren't able to email me anything to confirm what we were talking about.

2. They wanted 2 forms of ID, like Drivers License, Passport, SIN over the phone.

The rep said they were calling from S&P Data in Trenton, but I was hesitant about giving out my info, as it didn't seem very normal for Rogers to need to a do a credit check on me for a ~$198 cost for 1 year.

Hello there @lukeclimen!

Welcome to the Community and a huge congratulations on your first post!! 😀

I am also weary when it comes to calls from outside sources due to all of the vishing and phishing scams that seem to run so rampant these days!! I don't blame you for being extra cautious!

I can confirm that S&P Data is a third party company that we sometimes work with to reach out to customers with special offers & promotions if they have been a customer of ours in the past. Typically, we do not ask for account related information on an outbound call as we should already have your account information ready if you are/were a customer of ours. The only time we might do so is if you've moved addresses and/or if a brand new account activation is required. We understand that this is not always comfortable for all customers, so our outbound teams should also provide you an option to speak to management or to an offline verification team to get this step done. I would advise you to never give away any personal details to any unknown sources (whether by phone, email, or text message) for your own safety and security.

Can you please verify if you are or were a customer of ours? If so, we can review your account to see if any notes have been left regarding the offer presented which will help confirm if the call was legitimate. We can also get in touch with the S&P Data team asking them to reach back out to you if you are still interested. If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on our Private Messaging system, please CLICK HERE.

Kind regards!
RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I got a call from S&P Data (1-855-207-8315) on behalf of Rogers offering a great internet deal. To sign-up they are only asking for the 3 digits CVV code from the back of my credit card. I just want to make sure this is not a scam?

Hi @Nick77,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and a huge congrats on your first post!! 

It's definitely a great idea to double check if you are uncertain as to whether a call was legitimate or not. Your safety and security is our main concern, and you can never be too careful!!

As per my post above, feel free to send us a PM so we can review your account details to confirm if the recent call was indeed from Rogers.

We look forward to hearing back from you! 😊

RogersLaura

I've Been Around

Rogers Comm asking for SIN #, Bank Account # AND Driver's License #

So I received a call from Rogers communications which is outsourced to a 3rd party company.  They were offering me a new deal because my current one was expiring.  Everything was fine with the Ignite TV and Internet offering. They even threw in free Rogers home security for 2 years which I was of course going to say yes to.  However, later in the conversation, the man said in order to get the home security, I would need to provide my SIN #, my bank account # with transit AND my driver's license #.  REALLY????

Are these companies allowed to even ask for this or are they doing this on the side to commit fraud?  He said it was because Rogers was offering $250 worth of free equipment so they needed this information.  You have enough of my information and I have been using your internet and tv equipment for a long time and never needed to provide any of this information so why now?  Anyways, I said to remove the security part because I wasn't comfortable giving that information.

Why is Rogers asking for this?

Hello @nbafan!

Welcome to our Community!

You were right to be cautious in this case. This does sound like it could have been a scam because it does go against our outbound calling policy to verify or request personal information on an outbound call.

Since you are already an existing customer, we should already have all of your information if we call you directly.

It's possible this was not a call from us at all but rather from someone pretending to be us in order to phish for personal information. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can check your account and verify if this was a legitimate call or not.

Regards,

RogersCorey