Just got a text message from 7000

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Just got a text message from 7000

Hey All,

I just received a text message from 7000 with the following text:

From: ROGERS - During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information please sign in and update your information. http://rogers-clients.com/login/

When I clicked, there's a full authentication process that spooked me so I stopped. Is this for real or a scam?

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Just got a text message from 7000

Good evening @LuckySabiti,

Welcome to the Forums & Thank you for your post! 

I am glad you verified with us before filling the information requested.

The message you received is indeed fraudulent and has not been sent by Rogers.

Do NOT respond to the text message, provide personal information to the sender, or click on any links or attachments included in the message. Instead, make sure you collect the following information:

• The number that sent the text message
    • The contents of the text message

Once you have this information, report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

For more info, please take a look at @RogersRoland 's Blog article on How to Protect Yourself From Phishing

RogersMaude

I've Been Around

I just got one as well from the same number but mine says "For all users Rogers mobile. "Critîcal Android? Security Update" Follow the link https://www.androîdfirmware.com/?user=update Install thispatch to correct problems vulnerability in your smartphone."........I am assuming from the lack of proper english that this is a scam as well????

I've Been Here Awhile

I just got the Critical Android? Security Update text message from number 7000. But the link was to Androidfrimware. com "f r i m ware". Who knows where the link will lead you when a word is spelled wrong.

I've Been Here Awhile

I got one today and i talked to a rogers agent and this is fake

Any phone updates or anything are done through the phone itself not by a text

I've Been Around

I also received this SMS recently.

We can hardly report this to antifraudcenter since the phone number displayed is 7000.

But there are many things Rogers could do such as : 

- block this kind of SMS coming from "fake phone numbers"

- block phone numbers sending tons of SMS

- warn users regarding SMS containing URLs

I've Been Around

I received a text message from the number 7000 stating, ‘‘FROM: CIBC ONLINE BANKING SECURITY - As part of our commitment to help keep your account, we have added some extra security features. Please sign in to register http://login-cibc.com/” The message was sent to my mobile phone on the 4th of April 2016 at 10:50pm. I’m positive that I’m not the only one who received the text message and that it's mass text messaging Just to let you know that I've had a similar experience. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

I wanted to chime in as well. Everyday or so i get text messages like that as well but I just delete them and don't even bother reading or opening in links. It's scam and a spam. Nothing Rogers can do as remember they could block this number but they will get other numbers.
I have received over 9 text messages between the 7000 number and other spam numbers.
. Hopefully the CRTC and them can figure this out.

Everyone. Do not open the texts and if u decide to do, please do not open the links and do not give out your information.. Just delete the text messages. I know its annoying but it's the easiest thing u can do.