cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interac e-Transfer scam

bogdanlazar
I plan to stick around

I received this message (from 100001 at 12:20 PM, EST; July 08, 2020):

Virement INTERAC : EDITH LEBRASSEUR vous a envoyé des fonds. Voir (Potential malicious link removed - RogersMoin) Des frais peuvent s'appliquer

I reported the SMS to 7726.

This appears to be a really dangerous fake notification.

Interac e-Transfer scamInterac e-Transfer scam

After clicking the link above, I was redirected to the address,

(Potential malicious link removed - RogersMoin)

which showed this information:

Déposer vos fonds
168,00 $ CAD
De : EDITH LEBRASSEUR

Expire le: 6 août 2020
No de référence: CAS6yC7M

Choisir votre institution financière
ATB Financial
BMO Banque de Montreal
CIBC
Desjardins
Banque HSBC Canada
Banque Laurentienne du Canada
Banque Manuvie de Canada
Meridian
motusbank
Banque Nationale du Canada
PC Finance
RBC Banque Royale
Banque Scotia
Simplii Financial
Tangerine Bank
TD Canada Trust

OU

Choisir votre institution financière
Choisir la province ou le territoire
Choisissez une caisse populaire dans la liste ci-dessus.

Virement Interac Politique de confidentialité Sécurité
Cette transaction est sécuritaire.
Virement Interac
© 2000 — 2020 Interac Corp. Tous droits réservés. Modalités d'utilisation
MD, Marque d'Interac Corp.

***Editd Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Interac e-Transfer scam

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hello,

Thank you for being overcautious. Its always good to double check these things, After looking at it, its likely NOT a scam, but it could have been a e-transfer confirmation to someone via a text message and by accident it went to your phone number, possibly due to a typo.

Usually the fraudulent ones involve coming from a spoofed 10 digit telephone number, this one actually comes from a short code. i remember doing interact e-transfers in the past and remember getting a similar text. but good on you for being cautious

Interac.ca is a legit web site. but since you were not expecting any funds from anyone feel free to report this error to:
https://www.interac.ca/en/contact-us/

bogdanlazar
I plan to stick around

If this is not a scam but a simple mistake made by someone, then the topic should be deleted because it is misleading.

bogdanlazar
I plan to stick around
I contacted Interac (see my email and their answer) but it appears that they can not help me at all and I will continue to receive notifications till the e-Transfer expires in about one month. Interac did not even confirm 100% that the notification is not a scam also I sent them the full link to the e-Transfer page.

My email to Interac
Date: 07/08/2020
To: etransfer_support@interac.ca
Subject: I received, likely by mistake, an 168 $CAD notification from a person named EDITH LEBRASSEUR whom I do not know

Hello,
I received this message (from 100001 at 12:20 PM, EST; July 08, 2020):
"Virement INTERAC : EDITH LEBRASSEUR vous a envoyé des fonds. Voir (Removed Potentially Malicious Link - RogersTony)[the full address edited]. Des frais peuvent s'appliquer"
After clicking the link, I entered a page with this content:
"Déposer vos fonds
168,00 $ CAD
De : EDITH LEBRASSEUR
Expire le: 6 août 2020
No de référence: CAS6*****"

I do not know this person, EDITH LEBRASSEUR. Initially, I believed the SMS was a scam and I reported it here (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Interac-e-Transfer-scam/m-p/46...) but I was told that it was, likely, not and was redirected to you.
Please announce EDITH LEBRASSEUR that she made a mistake or at least tell me what I have to do to inform her about this error.

My Name 
Phone: My phone number

-------------------------------------- 
The answer from Interac:
Re: I received, likely by mistake, an 168 $CAD notification from a person named EDITH LEBRASSEUR whom I do not know
etransfer_support@interac.ca
To: My email address
Wed., Jul. 8 at 9:23 p.m.

Hello,
Thank you for contacting the Interac Support Centre. Please reference REQ02***** in any correspondence with our Support team.
If you received an email or text notification for an Interac e-Transfer you were not expecting and if you are also not acquainted with the sender, you should delete the notification. It is possible the sender has sent this to you in error. Unfortunately, you will continue to receive reminder emails to take action until the Interac e-Transfer is deposited, cancelled or expired. You should also delete these notifications. An Interac e-Transfer expires in approximately 30 days.
Only the sender of a transfer can confirm if a transfer is legitimate. We are unable to contact the sender.
Sincerely,

Beatrice
Interac Support Team
Toll free: 1 888-238-6433 for calls originating in Canada
Daily support hours: 7 am – 12 midnight ET.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Today I received a suspicious INTERAC e-Transfer text claiming I have a refund. I didn't click the link because I don't do data on my cellphone, but the apparent URL came up invalid on my computer, so probably goes somewhere else. Beware.

spam.jpg

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

I got one just like this,  the only difference was the phone number.   

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation