cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identification of SPAM

pollioni
I plan to stick around

Why are there so many emails that end up in my Inbox vs going to the SPAM folder when they are very obviously SPAM?

As an example out of 4 SPAM messages, I identified 4 from the subject line alone and Rogers/Yahoo identified zero. There are very clear patterns in these messages. Ye,s I do mark each and everyone as SPAM. 

On my Gmail address, they catch almost every SPAM message. 

How are they going to address this. 

*** Edited Labels ***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Identification of SPAM

RogersTony

Hello, @pollioni

Thank you for posting your concern to the community. 

I know how annoying it can be to get a lot of spam emails. Please continue to mark these emails as spam and the spam filter should improve over time as more examples are provided.

RogersTony

pollioni
I plan to stick around

It does not appear that whatever methods your system uses after a message is marked as spam is working efficiently as intended. I have for months (possibly over a year) been marking messages from "Shoppers" or the multiple variations used (eg *SHOppER from yesterday).

I would like to hear a commitment from Rogers/Yahoo on a concerted effort and publicly inform clients on what the plan is and timelines around this as this is a very serious issue.  

pollioni
I plan to stick around

Just came in.... Druuugmaaart Announcement - how can this not be caught as spam. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not sure why some people seem to have more of an issue with spam. I get a few spam messages per month that are caught by Rogers/Yahoo's filters and sent to the spam folder and none make it through to my Outlook client on my computer.  I'm sure that many don't eve make it to Webmail and are rejected before then.

Years ago when filters were not so good, I had set up several filters in Webmail to catch repeat offenders - for example anything from Shoppers would be sent to the spam folder.  I also set up a filter for one of my contacts which kept getting flagged as spam so that his e-mails automatically went to my inbox.

The other thing I do is have a specific e-mail address that I use for surfing/shopping and another e-mail address for all my contacts and serious correspondence.

PS. I do agree that Gmail's filters are better because I never get any spam there.  Perhaps people need to switch to Gmail when an opportunity comes up.

Greetings @pollioni!

When you say that you're marking it as spam, how is it that you're doing this? To report spam to us, you must forward it to us via the proper channels.

For suspicious emails that appear to be sent from Rogers, report them by forwarding to abuse@rogers.com.

For suspicious text (SMS) messages, forward them to: 7726 (SPAM).

You can find our cyber security resources here: Cyber Security - About Rogers

Regards,

RogersCorey

pollioni
I plan to stick around

I am marking them as spam in 2 methods

• Via Yahoo Mail app - selecting the message and clicking the more button and Mark as Spam
  • On Rogers/Yahoo webmail - right-click on the message and select SPAM

Looking at the message headers the majority (if not all) of these do not originate at Rogers/Yahoo but from other domains. Thus I would not forward these to abuse@rogers.com

As I understand that Rogers is contracting the services of Yahoo, Rogers should demand from them a higher standard that would equal or rival services like G-mail or MS Outlook. 

Thank you for clarifying @pollioni!

Those reporting methods would send spam reports to Yahoo directly. If you wish to report it to us, you must do so by forwarding the suspicious email to abuse@rogers.com. 

We want all reports of abuse on our network, not just reports of abuse of our domain. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

pollioni
I plan to stick around

Thanks for letting me know to report all "Spam" to the above email address. 

The only thing missing is Rogers/Yahoo's commitment to reducing these with a goal in mind. This should be one of the top priorities. 

As a reminder a goal is endpoint, accomplishment or target an organization wants to achieve in the short term or long term. It should be stated and marked with milestones. 

pollioni
I plan to stick around

@RogersCorey 

Just an FYI, I have forwarded multiple email to abuse@rogers.com and was just sent the following email which contradicts what you said "we want all reports of abuse on our network, not just reports of abuse of our domain."

Here are the contents of the email.
==============================

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION**

Thank you for your concern. At this time we are unable to take action against Spam originating from outside our network. We suggest e-mailing a complaint to the ISP from which the spam originated.  Even though the "reply-to" address may be @rogers.com, this does not mean the email originated from Rogers. Often the originating IP address is outside the Rogers network. Anyone can setup an account to "reply-to" any email address in existence, even addresses that do not exist.

In an attempt to stop or reduce the amount of spam received, you may wish to configure your e-mail software to automatically delete or move spam messages. Many spammers use Blind carbon copy or use mailing lists to send their messages. This can be done by creating a rule that deletes or moves messages that do not contain your specific email address, in the "To:" or "CC:" field. While this may not stop all the spam you see, it should reduce some of it.

Some e-mail programs allow you to block spam based on what e-mail address is in the "From:" field. While this may work for some spam, we have found many spammers fake the "From:" e-mail address and change it every time they send their spam messages. For this reason we feel this method does not work as well as others.

Replying to spam:

We suggest never replying to a spam message or following instructions to be removed from a mailing list. Many spammers will keep track of people who e-mail them. When you e-mail a spammer to be removed from a list, you are telling the spammer you read their e-mail, and are willing to follow instructions. Some spammers will put e-mail addresses requested to be removed from their list, on other spam lists. This is to indicate they now know you are reading their messages and therefore feel you are more likely to read future ones.

Spam to an unused e-mail address:

Many spammers will use a phonebook to develop e-mail lists. As most people use a combination of their first and last names as their e-mail address, many spammers can use a phone book to create spamming lists. The odds are that "asmith, johnt, or jtaylor@rogers.com" exists. This is why you may receive e-mail spam to an account you have never told anyone about. To reduce this possibility, you may wish to create an e-mail address that is a combination of letters and numbers. As most e-mail programs also display an area for your name, an obscure e-mail address should not reduce your friends ability to identify e-mails coming from you. This will usually reduce the amount of spam you receive.

For assistance with setting up your e-mail's filters/rules or with changing or adding an e-mail address, please contact our technical support department for assistance at 1-888-288-4663 and follow the prompts for technical support.

Please do not reply to this email, as this email inbox is not monitored.

Please Be Advised: Rogers will never ask you for your password or other confidential personal information via email or phone.

If you would like to verify that this email is from Rogers you can contact us at the information listed on your monthly bill.

Any emails/phone calls you receive purporting to be from Rogers that you believe to be fake, can be reported to abuse@rogers.com

aelaan
I plan to stick around

In the past two months I must have send over 200 messages to 7726 (SMS) I have flagged phone numbers to be blocked, it just does not work as the 437-256-xxxx phone numbers just keep spamming up to the next xxxx number.  I am very surprised that I am getting so many spam messages as this is a phone number on a work phone, a number that I am not giving out to anyone.  I know these "services" use some method which seems smarter than what I am using.  My block list is pages in length and still nothing seems to work.

With regards to email it is a complete joke, sorry to say.  My personal email on @rogers.com is not being used to register as I use a seperate email account that basically goes to junk, no matter what is being send there.   Over the years there have been numerous breaches leaking email information which is easily obtained and you do not even have to pay for it on the "dark web".  All these emails come from a certain domain that makes the network think they come from a valid email account.  It is called spoofing and is very simple to do.  It seems that Google has a better AI and Machine Learning algorithm that can indeed catch these earlier.  Yahoo does not give one hoot about this, it is traffic and so it is profit.  In the meantime "services" are consistently overloaded and it seems my spam filters on my web account do get reset on a monthly bases.  So how can we, as consumers, turn off these spam and phishing methods?  Do not reply or report them, it seems when you report them somehow a traceback is send to the originator resulting in a new message within 10 minutes.  A few ways to setup your system is to only allow email from known email addresses in your address book.  The rest can go to spam or deleted mail and it is easier to check that folder once a day.  Some good clients to help you with this are Thunderbird and your webmail client and also Gmail can be useful.  It will take effort to make it more slip streamed from the customer side, but it is either that or just ignore email and who can do that.... right?  But whatever way you go there will always be spam and there is no way anyone can claim any other way.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation