Getting texts with spam :(

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Getting texts with spam :(

I have some very good news! A while ago I made a big fuss about these SPAM text messages I received on my prepaid Rogers cell phone. I wanted to cancel TextMessages completely, but I was told that was not possible.

Rogers refunded me 30cents per received spam-text and I was happy again. Then, 1 or 2 spam-texts kept coming in again. And.... several days ago... one text message after the other (from Rogers!) popped up: Your top-up was successful.. and so on. All together 9 within a few days. I checked my balance and they really credited me. 

What a nice surprise! Apparently they did something regarding the spammers, or monitored my account... boy, I was VERY upset when I called the first time.

This particular CSR seemed to be one of the rare ones who takes their jobs in Customer Service serious.

THANK YOU, Rogers! I did revise my opinion about you.

I've Been Here Awhile

The only problem is the spam text still come.I recently asked rogers to cut the text messages emails from coming to my iphone,they couldnt,huh?I recently asked rogers to stop the unknown name and numbers to my home phone,guess what nothing,they still come.Its ridiculous with the technology they have and to me almost criminal.I think its time to shop around for a new carrier.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am getting a lot of spam text messages recently. And I have not published my cell number at all so these spam bots must have found my number by guessing and sending randomly.

I am wondering if Rogers is doing anything to handle filtering out spam messages? They all seem to be advertising lame work from home works or make X amount of money at home. It is getting rather annoying that we live in a technological century without having the ability to define our own spam filtering for SMS.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It runs into a big issue of HOW.

For spam filtering, etc on the email.. that means that there is a program on the back end which 'reads' the emails, looking for specific things, that then blocks the spam.

For the same thing to happen with texts.. that would mean that the content of each text would have to be read/scanned in the same sort of way.

Beyond that.. you then get into a 'block list' type of setup... really the only other way.
That you could block the number after you get a bad one from it.
Problem then is, that these spam things usually never use the same nubmers twice, etc..

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been receiving a lot of SMS spam lately... I have never seen this many in such a short time frame... Is there anything that Rogers is doing about this to block these at the network level?

sms_spam.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Obviously some spam company has got a hold of your number Smiley Sad

(why i dont provide it anywhere unless absoblutely necessary)

Really from the network end, no there is not a huge amound that can be done.
Could they potentially BLOCK it from the back end?
Yes.
BUT.. is that their actuall number?  Not likely.
Most of these spamers, are able to use things that SPOOF the callerID, etc.. that the outbound nubmer is different than where actually calling from.
So blocking that number, could be blocking some other local number, etc.. that hasnt done anything.  Now that person could not text anyone?

Not sure if Android has it.. but with the iphone (which it appears you have) you can block those numbers on your phone i beleive.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been getting a bunch of spam texts for at least a month about jobs and mystery shopers/gifts. I blocked all these numbers but new numbers keep on coming. I have my phone number for at least 6 years and i have never seen anything like this.

What can I or Rogers do about this? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you're not on Pay As You Go, like I am, count yourself lucky because you don't have to pay for them, but they are a nuisance, for sure.  Rogers will block what they know about, but spammers do keep spoofing new originating numbers. Forward all spam to 7726 so Rogers is aware. It doesn't cost anything, even with PayGo.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks. Yea i've been trying to take matters into my own hand by sending an insulting reply back to these people using a virtual number given to me by textPlus lol. I hope 7726 works.

1 particular spam number was weird: it had a name to it "Mark" instead of an actual number. i don't have anyone in my contact list name mark.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am receiving a lot of SMS spam, ranging from "making $400/500 dollars" to other annoying texts. I also know others on Rogers receiving the same SMS spam. I don't understand why a same text message sent to multiple people on Rogers network isn't blocked or isolated by the SMS spam filter on the infrastructure side. When is this going to get looked at? I already reported this to customer service and they also claim it is a well known issue.

Anyone else on this forum receiving SMS spam as well?