Getting texts with spam :(

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Getting texts with spam :(

From 17079321125 saying "You've been Selected to Win a $1,000 Best-Buy Gift Card! But only the 1st 1,000 users that enter code 7777 at http://bestbuyprize.com will actually Receive it!"

I don't know why this is happening because I've only given my number to Microsoft Hotmail and Google (Gmail) for password recovery. Other than that I'm a new Rogers customer and only been with them since January Smiley Sad

I've been with Virgin and had to cancel my contract with them due to their constant use of slang and being totally unprofessional but have never received spam while with Virgin on my iPhone...

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Getting texts with spam :(

I got those texts as well. I have contacted the CRTC & saved the text messages as well. They are scam messages that if you do reply to them then you will be charged for each text messages & such. I suggest you contact Rogers & speak to them.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have 4 phones in my house.  3 on individual plans and the 4th on a business plan.  2 days ago I moved all my phones over to a family plan and "BANG"  all 4 phones started to receive winner notifications !! ?? !!.  "Your number has made you our daily iPad winner!  Go to http://apple.ca.hstlmn.biz and enter code 6417, then "Register Now" to claim your iPad".

Now I am a very logical person but what is the chance that a single person with 4 phones on his account would receive the exact same txt messages within 24 hours on all 4 phones after making a plan change with Rogers???  Prior to the plan change I NEVER received such txt messages!!!

If I had to draw a conclusion from this I can come up with 2 possibilities....................

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I get them mostly every week. I got sick and tired of getting them so i contacted Apple as well. They know about this as well.

All this started happening while i upgraded my account as well. Mostly everyone is getting this after updating something on their accounts
I Plan to Stick Around

On my Razr  i downloaded a free "Blocker" app   .... paste the phone number in and it blocks them.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes but even if you block that number, the spammers have other numbers they are able to use. I got the same exact message from 7 different numbers on both my lines. So blocking the number will only block from receiving a text from that number. The scammers will continue sending those scam texts threw other numbers.

Rogers / Apple knows about this issue as well. Apple can only do so much but Rogers can track down & get the police in this & trace where the texts are coming from & which location & track them down. I know it takes time & money but it is worth it.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

The numbers that appear on your phone are useless. That can be spoofed incredibly easliy. Contacting Rogers is the only way to get this taken care of because they can trace the originating IP address for the text message on their network, assuming that hasn't been spoofed either. There's also the context of the message that plays a role. For example the URL that is included has to be hosted somewhere so that can all get traced back.

Until somebody gets completely screwed by one of these, Rogers wont do anything though. I mean, why would they? They charge you for every incomming, unblockable, text message. If you call and ask them to block specific numbers they will tell you they can't. You either block all incomming texts or none. Yet it's legal that they charge you for something that is clearly wrong with their network security. Ahh capitalism at its best.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers is most likely selling their numbers to the spammers. I have a prepaid phone and hardly use it, don't display my number at all when calling someone.
Called Rogers already about the spams, but they keep coming in and I have to pay 0.30/each. Sometimes there are 4 texts per day. They want to force customers into monthly plans.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It doesnt take rogers (or any other carrier) to sell anything for these things to happen.

For generally PHONE spam.. its called an auto dialer.. and just dials 555-0001, 555-0002, etc 
Doesnt need to have any form of list.

As for text spam, etc. 
Really would use much the same thing.  Certain blocks of number are usually blocked out specifically for cellular (and cant be used for landlines)
Knowing what those block ranges are.. set it in an auto messenger.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@PayGoUser there is an obvious solution to this abuse of the system and that would be to charge only for outgoing calls and texts, just like landline long distance. Of course, that will never happen because it would cut the carriers' revenue in half.  We PayGo users are caught in the middle with these nuisance calls possibly eating up half our airtime, while the high end cellphone subscribers just shrug them off as an annoyance and have the ability to block numbers if they wish.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 in conversation