Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

yes, I have been getting this on 2 different devices for the last 2 days

Highlighted

Hello, @Kunderhill77 & @kjkjhkj.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for being vigilant and posting it here in this thread. It helps in raising awareness of such scams. 

We appreciate your contribution!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How do we stop this page from appearing?

Highlighted

Hello @dad2u22! Welcome to our Community!

I know these kinds of phishing scams can be distressing and annoying. Stopping them from appearing as a user may or may not be possible depending upon where you're seeing the page pop up. 

Where exactly are you seeing it? Email? Text? Both? Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Here is what I discovered.

Behavior: Using Microsoft Edge browser, when viewing Kijiji pages, it frequently redirects to a "onclickbright.com" site, and then immediately redirects to a scam site (many different ones).  

Diagnosis: did not occur with Firefox or IE.  Did not occur when I selected "in private window".

Solution (so far): I entered MS Edge/settings/Privacy and Service: I changed tracking protection from Balanced, to Strict.  This appears to have stopped the behaviour, and so far I have not noticed issues when visiting other sites.

Conclusion some aspect of MS Edge, when tracking protection was set to Medium, allowed an add(vertizement) at the Kijiji pages to initiate a browser redirect to the onclickbright.com page.  Somehow going to Strict stopped this.

It would be great if MS would figure this out for us Edge users.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Further, note that one of the undesired pages that I was directed to was a very believably crafted site that purports to be from Rogers, and indicates that I have been selected for a survey, and have a great chance to win a free phone...yup, clearly a scam, although superbly crafted....most believable.  I am sure that those whose desire for a free phone overwhelms their caution should mostly figure it out before too much personal info is provided.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thank you -- I was about to report this convincing new trap!
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I as well got sucked into this scam.  I stopped before providing credit card info as it did not seem credible at that point.  However, I did provide my name, address, email address and phone number before being redirected to the credit card page.  I called Customer Service but they did not have much information other than recommending I change my email password.  I did manage to change my IP address.  Do you have any other recommendations and should I 

Highlighted

Hi @DE1! Welcome to our Community.

While it is regrettable that you provided some information, you did the right thing by hesitating and aborting when you were prompted for a credit card.

The good news is that you didn't provide enough information for identity theft to occur.

Changing your email password and updating it with a far stronger password would be prudent. 

You may want to monitor your phone for an increase in spam calls after this looking to phish for more information. Be wary of calls from unknown numbers. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is happening again! Would be helpful if Rogers sent a memo out to customers via email warning of this convincing scam. In the mean time I will warn my mother.