cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

RogersMoin

Hello, Community!

Beware of the new scam floating about a customer reward program. You may see this as a popup or in an email or a link in the text message.

Smishing.jpg

Smishing2.jpg

Please check our blog to learn more on how to keep safe from such fraud. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

baynewen
I plan to stick around

I have had this pop up three times in the last sixty days the only thing that changes are the dates. Since I can't paste a screen cap here it says the following,

Dear Rogers User, We are celebrating our anniversary, you've been selected as a winner for today's free Prize!
You need to simply answer our anonymous survey to claim it! 

Rogers is holding an anniversary celebration for next 7 days (January.11 -> January.18) to thank your loyalty for using us as Internet Provider.

We will select 10 lucky users everyday to win an exclusive gift from us, including free Apple iPhone Xs, Samsung Galaxy S10, Apple Watch for choosing us. And Your IP address has been selected.

You have to simply answer our anonymous survey below to win your prize. Hurry up! 8 users have received this invitation and there are only 2 prizes to win.

Are you satisfied with Rogers?

Hello, @baynewen.

Thank you for typing in the pop-up message; it undoubtedly helps other Community members. I appreciate your participation in this thread.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

PS: BTW, you can save the screen capture as an image and upload it to your post. 

LilyS
I've been around

Hi there, 

I got this pop-up today. I saw all these questions. they didn't ask me about my credit card or address.  after choosing a reward, then the message is disappeared. what should I do now?  Please reply to me ASAP. I am waiting online now. 

Hello, @LilyS.

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and this thread. I appreciate your private message to us.  As discussed, if you have not entered any personal info, then you should be fine. Please make sure to scan your laptop with security and malware/spyware removal software.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I started getting this on my phone today and I can’t get rid of it. I have pop ups blocked but they still come up!

Good evening @Hazelruth,

Welcome to the Community!

I realize how annoying these pop ups can be. Have you noticed if the pop ups come up on specific site? Please remember to never enter any personal or financial information on unknown pop ups. 

RogersZia

Yarvin
I've been around
New scam saying overcharged for Jan 2020. Click link to get refund. Be on the lookout

Hello, @Yarvin.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums and thank you for joining this thread to raise awareness of such scam. 

Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

This pop up is back. It’s threaded into search for covid 19 updates. Specially when I click on CTV news. Thought you might want to m is

yes, I have been getting this on 2 different devices for the last 2 days

Hello, @Kunderhill77 & @kjkjhkj.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😀

Thank you for being vigilant and posting it here in this thread. It helps in raising awareness of such scams. 

We appreciate your contribution!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

dad2u22
I've been here awhile

How do we stop this page from appearing?

Hello @dad2u22! Welcome to our Community!

I know these kinds of phishing scams can be distressing and annoying. Stopping them from appearing as a user may or may not be possible depending upon where you're seeing the page pop up. 

Where exactly are you seeing it? Email? Text? Both? Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey

dad2u22
I've been here awhile

Here is what I discovered.

Behavior: Using Microsoft Edge browser, when viewing Kijiji pages, it frequently redirects to a "onclickbright.com" site, and then immediately redirects to a scam site (many different ones).  

Diagnosis: did not occur with Firefox or IE.  Did not occur when I selected "in private window".

Solution (so far): I entered MS Edge/settings/Privacy and Service: I changed tracking protection from Balanced, to Strict.  This appears to have stopped the behaviour, and so far I have not noticed issues when visiting other sites.

Conclusion some aspect of MS Edge, when tracking protection was set to Medium, allowed an add(vertizement) at the Kijiji pages to initiate a browser redirect to the onclickbright.com page.  Somehow going to Strict stopped this.

It would be great if MS would figure this out for us Edge users.

dad2u22
I've been here awhile

Further, note that one of the undesired pages that I was directed to was a very believably crafted site that purports to be from Rogers, and indicates that I have been selected for a survey, and have a great chance to win a free phone...yup, clearly a scam, although superbly crafted....most believable.  I am sure that those whose desire for a free phone overwhelms their caution should mostly figure it out before too much personal info is provided.

pyoung1003
I've been around
Thank you -- I was about to report this convincing new trap!

DE1
I've been around

I as well got sucked into this scam.  I stopped before providing credit card info as it did not seem credible at that point.  However, I did provide my name, address, email address and phone number before being redirected to the credit card page.  I called Customer Service but they did not have much information other than recommending I change my email password.  I did manage to change my IP address.  Do you have any other recommendations and should I 

Hi @DE1! Welcome to our Community.

While it is regrettable that you provided some information, you did the right thing by hesitating and aborting when you were prompted for a credit card.

The good news is that you didn't provide enough information for identity theft to occur.

Changing your email password and updating it with a far stronger password would be prudent. 

You may want to monitor your phone for an increase in spam calls after this looking to phish for more information. Be wary of calls from unknown numbers. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

This is happening again! Would be helpful if Rogers sent a memo out to customers via email warning of this convincing scam. In the mean time I will warn my mother.

These pop ups have been relentless over the last four hours. To the point where I can’t use my browsers - safari, google or google chrome. My ad pop ups have been enabled. And, it’s happening on both iphones. I made the mistake of filling out the survey but got suspicious at the end and went no further. I have reported the pop up to 7726. I’m worried that I won’t be able to use the internet on my phones! Any advice?? What would a reset do?

Hi @Bunnydunc2019,

Welcome to the Community!

I know how annoying these pop ups can be! I'm glad you stopped filling out the information on the survey, please always be mindful of sharing personal or financial information with unknown links. 

For Safari, can you please go into Settings >> Safari and make sure both Block Pop-ups and Fraudulent Website Warning are enabled?

Additionally, please go to Settings >> Safari >> Clear History and Website Data to delete browsing history, websites data, and cookies. You can also choose to delete individual website data by going into Settings >> Safari >> Advanced >> Website Data. 

For Google Chrome, you can delete the browsing history and block pop-ups within the browser's Settings >> Content Settings.

You can also follow these steps to try and stop the pop-ups: Settings >> Privacy >> Advertising >> Reset Advertising Identifier.

Please remember to reboot your device if you try any of the steps mentioned above. It may also be ideal to stop visiting the website that may have started the pop-ups in the first place.

Please let us know if you have any follow up questions.

RogersZia

Topic Stats