Chinese (mandarin) scam calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Chinese (mandarin) scam calls

In the US, I understand that carriers such as Verizon, T-mobile, etc... have technology to block scam calls and/or identify scam calls with "likely scam" id.  Does Rogers have such technology or plan on implementing it soon?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The technology to identify scam calls with "likely scam" is not just on T-Mobile in the US, its here in Canada too,  its not a feature of an actual carrier, its more of a feature of Android.  My Android A8 has this feature built in but its available as a add-on from the google play store for other compatible models too.

But just a FYI, please please please be aware, the technology only works GREAT when the number is a known number of a scammer,, which means if scammers constantly change numbers and use numbers of unsuspecting victims which they have been doing as of lately, the technology cant work too well.   but it does detect legit telemarketers such as collection agencies, charities, outbound sales, etc.  from legit companies whos number is fixed.  but for scammers who constantly spoof their number with recycled numbers every other minute this technology wont be able to stop that.  but your not alone, Rogers has a new technology coming out next month which should reduce some of those scam calls

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks Corey, but telling us your tale of woe and saying your solution was to give up isn't a great answer.

We've heard many times that Rogers "is working on it" and that you "take these things seriously".

Let me make you an offer: I'm a software developer. I'll give Rogers as much of my time as is needed to help implement a fix. I'll start with a simple algorithm your guys can play around with.

Assumption: Rogers has 10.8M Canadian customers. I'm guessing over 20% (easy) get a call a day. Assume the spammers are using a pool of 1000 numbers. That's over 2MM calls over 1000 numbers = 2,000 calls from each number. 

Create a lookup map/dictionary, keyed by caller ID, that stores { DateFirstSeen [datetime), Occurences (number) }

For each phone call that lasts less than 5 seconds:
     If we have an entry for that caller ID
         if DateFirstSeen > 1 day ago

set DateFirstSeen = Now, Occurences  = 1  // reset the counter for this caller ID
         else
             set Occurences = Occurences + 1
             if Occurences > 1000

SendCallerToTheDepthsOfHades(callerID)
     else
          create a new entry, setting DateFirstSeen = Now, Occurences  = 1
   End For

Basically: count the number of times each caller ID is hung up after 5 seconds. Any number that's been hung up 1000 times is probably a scammer. Given each number probably hits 2000 people a day it means that this will solve the problem for half the Rogers customer base. Toggle it down to 500 hangups from a single number and it solves the issue for 75% of Rogers customers.

Next time one of the tech guys says "it's too hard" send them this.

Next time a corporate type says "it's too expensive" then I'd argue that if every Rogers subscriber makes 3 calls a day that's 33M records to store, or 381/s.  A cellphone has enough power and storage to handle this load, and something like Redis, which is free, can store this info at this speed without even getting out of bed in the morning.

Don't complain to us, Corey. Be an advocate for us and push the message higher up the chain that more needs to be done. The first company that gets this done gets the bragging rights, the media coverage AND the mass defections from other carriers for which this is just too hard.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@blah2016 you're forgetting the fact that every carrier in the chain gets paid, one way or the other.  So, is it in their economic interests to block spam calls?  I doubt it, hence the slow to non-existent progress on blocking spam calls. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Possibly, but with my marketing hat on it's a precarious position to rely on. As soon as one carrier implements even *something* it'll be media grabbing and that's what will then be expected of the rest. I honestly don't think the economics of robocall revenue is long term viable
Highlighted
I've Been Around

It is my understanding that the CRTC has mandated that the telcos put in place technology to block calls where the originating number is clearly different than the caller ID provided. 

I would call your telco and ask why you are getting these calls and what they have done to comply with "Compliance and Enforcement and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2018-484" (https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

2018-484 is actually pretty weak.  The latest is discussed in the following thread and should be active by the end of this year, if not earlier:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

484 was discussed in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-calls-for-universal-netwo...

What 484 does:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/universal-call-blocking

Universal Call Blocking is a CRTC mandate (CRTC decision 2018-484) to block all incoming voice calls that have malformed calling line ID information. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been getting a lot of unsolicited calls recently... the caller says in English that they are calling from Rogers with a message for their Chinese subscribers, then the message changes to Chinese.   No idea what the message is since I do not speak the language.   Contacted Rogers and they said it is not from them.

anyone else getting such calls, and any idea what they are about?  Would like to report this.

Paul
Highlighted

Hello @Pilaar39,

Thank you for your post.  

I know how annoying receiving fraudulent calls can be. We appreciate you taking the time to bring this up to our attention. As you were told, Rogers is not responsible for the call you have been receiving.
We recommend blocking the number when you receive the call, alternatively, you can change your telephone number if you receive too many of them.  

You can also report all incidents to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre so that they can be investigated. 
For more information, you can check out https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/phishing 

Hope this helps!
RogersRob

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

>As you were told, Rogers is not responsible for the call you have been receiving.

Wow.

We get that you didn't actually initiate the calls. Not "being responsible" is not the same as "not taking responsibility".

You have the means to make your paying clients lives significantly better.

You choose not to.