Chinese (mandarin) scam calls

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Chinese (mandarin) scam calls

Hey blah2016, guess what? even mobile customers from other mobile carriers like telus, bell, etc, get those fake rogers Chinese calls.

Does Rogers have the means to make their NON Clients lives significantly better too?

How in the world can they stop me from getting those calls when i'm not even a customer of their mobile cellular service?

I am a customer of another one of their service so that is why i'm on here but still, you get my point?

Everyone gets those calls. they originate from out side of Canada, Contrary to what you may believe or think, they're very tricky to block and stop these people.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hey Pauly.

My apologies for not realising that a resident expert on this forum wasn't a Rogers mobile customer. And yes, all carriers have the issue. 

Neither of these points, however, change the fact that the technology to block the spam calls is available. It's already in use in the US. I provided a pretty naive algorithm (https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Chinese-mandarin-scam-calls/m-...) that would probably capture the lion's share of spam (I run a popular website and we deal with spammers ourselves so I'm speaking for at least a position of experience in what we've done successfully)

I cannot abide the attitude of "sorry this upsets you but it's not our fault". And my comment isn't only about Rogers, it's about all carriers.

It's not an unsolvable problem. Not even close.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree that its upsetting too, I am annoyed by these calls just as much as you.

Its great that you created an algorithm to reduce the calls. You seem very knowledgeable in this field, perhaps you should work for Rogers Wireless, you could easily make change happen in the company.

These decisions usually come from higher up in the company, so if you really have the knowledge to stop spoofing and annoying spam calls, you should do some networking and make friends and contacts with some people in the company who have some pull. maybe they will like your idea?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, as discussed in post 17 of this thread, Stir/Shaken will become active by the end of this year, if not earlier. This should reduce the number of spam/scam calls significantly. Link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN#:~:text=From%20Wikipedia%2C%20the%20free%20encyclopedia.%2...

The reason I'm not sure of the date this will be implemented by Rogers is because I'm not sure if they'll meet the September 30th 2020 date "expected" in the implementation recommendations of the link above.