cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from 1-587-404-0034

idaven
I've been here awhile

A phone call came through from 1-587-404-0034 at 7:44 pm on Friday, June 2, 2023.  Caller claimed that he was calling on behalf of Rogers Promotions Department to offer me a special Seniors Discount. (By the way, I live in Ontario, and the call came from Alberta).

Since the call display did not show "Rogers/Shaw Communications", I didn't trust him, so I said, "Give me your phone number, and I will call you back".  I called back at the number he gave me: 587-404-0034 but it didn't go through because it was a long distance call.  I dialed 1 and it went through.  A different man who spoke fluent English answered the phone.  I was surprised that John Mark did not answer my call.  This new guy said: "I'll transfer your call to Rogers Promotions Department now to speak to Mr. Mark." That gave me confirmation that it was really Rogers Communications that's calling me. (I did not suspect that it could be a setup).

Current promotion: Rogers could give me $40 discount per month off from $125.00.  For only $85 a month, the new promotion would include the same Internet speed, the same TV channels, and the same Home Phone. But it would be on a 3-year Contract.

He said his name was John Mark, but he had a very heavy East Indian accent which I had difficulty understanding. He had to repeat himself many times so I could understand what he was trying to sell me. He was very patient and waited on hold for almost 5 minutes for me to go downstairs to find my credit card so I could provide him with my credit card number, expiry date and CVC pin number.

He asked me for my DOB, but because the real Rogers Communications Associate always asked for my DOB when I call them, I gave John Mark my DOB assuming he was a real Rogers employee.

He asked me for my email address, and I said "You have that on your system, so you don't need to ask me".  He said yes, he did have my email address on his system, but would like me to give it to him to verify that it is correct. Stupid me, I gave him my email address, but he got it wrong when he repeated it.  I had to correct him to make sure that he got my email address correctly.  He agreed to send me an email to confirm the new Rogers bundle with the $40 discount per month for 3 years.

He knew my name and my physical address, so I sort of trusted him.  But I forgot that the printed Phone Book as well as Canada 411 have my last name, address, and phone number listed for the world to see.  That's probably how he got my name, address and phone number in the first place.

He asked me for photo ID to verify my identity. So I gave him my driver's license number as I knew it by heart. He also wanted to know the expiry date of my driver's license which I didn't know.  I had to find the actual Driver's License to get the correct expiry date for him.

After I gave John Mark my credit card info complete with expiry date and CVC pin number, suddenly I became panicky and suspicious.  It seemed very unlikely that Rogers Communications would provide all the Internet, TV and Phone Services for $85 a month for 3 years.  What do you think?  Do you think I gave away enough info for easy identity theft?  What should I do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Call from 1-587-404-0034

RogersTony

Hello, @idaven 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the community. Regrettably, from the information that you've provided it seems like this may not be a legitimate offer. The phone number appears to be a US phone number. I would recommend putting a lock or a hold on your credit card that you provided until we can get to the bottom of this.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps where we can gather your information and take a look at this for you. Alternatively you can contact us via any of the options listed here: Rogers.com/contact. We can validate that you are interacting with an authorized Rogers representative and ensure the offer is valid before you provide any information. 

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

Regards,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RogersTony

Hello, @idaven 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the community. Regrettably, from the information that you've provided it seems like this may not be a legitimate offer. The phone number appears to be a US phone number. I would recommend putting a lock or a hold on your credit card that you provided until we can get to the bottom of this.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps where we can gather your information and take a look at this for you. Alternatively you can contact us via any of the options listed here: Rogers.com/contact. We can validate that you are interacting with an authorized Rogers representative and ensure the offer is valid before you provide any information. 

Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

Regards,

CommunityHelps

RogersTony

idaven
I've been here awhile

Hi RogersTony:

Thank you for your response and advice.  I have since cancelled the credit card which number, expiry date and CVC I gave away. 

On June 3, 2023, John Mark called three times and left 3 phone messages on my answering machine.  This time, his phone number was changed to 1-705-999-8403 which originates from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  His last number 1-587-404-0034 was from Alberta, possibly Calgary - not the United States. 

In his phone messages, he said he was calling from Rogers Communications and asked me to call him back at 587-404-0034 even though the call display showed that he was calling from 705-999-8403.  His 3 messages were recorded between 11:03 am and 2:17 pm on Saturday, June 3, 2023. (Before deleting his messages, I made a copy of his phone messages which I can send to you if you like). 

On his 4th call on June 3 from 1-705-999-8403 at 3:11 pm, I answered the call.  John Mark asked more questions: What's my middle name?  What's my favorite color? What's my Social Insurance Number?  How long have I lived at this address?  What was my last address before I moved here?  He also gave me a Confirmation Number for the Rogers Promotion Discount, this time it's $45 off from $129, i.e. $84 per month for Internet, TV and Home Phone.  I think he must have listened again more carefully to our previous conversation in which I said I was paying Rogers $129 per month.  Previously, he had assumed it was $125 a month.  Obviously, everything I said to him over the phone was recorded.

Thank you for your concern.  I still feel very unsafe because John Mark knows my first and last name, my DOB, my home phone number, my residential address, my email address, as well as my driver's license number and its expiry date. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some suggestions on how I can prevent my ID from being used illegally for any purpose.

Very worried still,
idaven

kkasmi
I've been around

My wife just got the very similar call from a guy who said he is from Rogers in the beginning. He had my wife's first and last name, Phone number, home address, and the very last month billing amount, etc. As she felt weird or suspicious, she asked something to me and we discussed. As we asked why he provides 40% discount, he said because Rogers' is losing a lot of customers in these days. We felt a bit weird as he kept asking the account number and we refused. At the end, he was kind of upset and very aggressive saying he already spent 15 min with my wife and another 15 min with me to explain the promotion. I told him we don't need a promotion as we are already paying very good rate but he got more aggressive. I told him it seems like a scam and turned off. I assume Rogers failed to protect the customer information as my wife got a phone call from this scam. I am certainly sure it is Rogers who leaked the customer information. People should be cautious when they get a phone call from Rogers' or on behalf of Roger's or 3rd party promotion company who works for Rogers. 

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation