cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC steps up efforts to combat spoofed calls

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

December 9, 2019 – The CRTC today took further steps to combat caller ID spoofing and determine the origins of nuisance calls. The CRTC expects telecommunications service providers will implement a new framework called STIR/SHAKEN* by September 30, 2020.

STIR/SHAKEN will enable service providers to certify whether a caller’s identity can be trusted by authenticating and verifying the caller ID information for Internet Protocol-based voice calls. This new framework will empower Canadians to determine which calls are authenticated, reducing the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing.

This is the latest step in the CRTC’s broader efforts to combat nuisance and unsolicited calls. In the past year, the CRTC has encouraged service providers to offer their customers call-filtering services that provide advanced call-management features. Providers that do not offer these services must implement a system to block certain types of calls within their networks before the end of the year. The CRTC is also working with the industry to develop a process to trace nuisance calls back to their points of origin.

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2019/12/crtc-steps-up-efforts-to-c...

This is good news and  goes beyond the steps outlined in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-calls-for-universal-netwo...

*Added Labels*

27 REPLIES 27

Re: CRTC steps up efforts to combat spoofed calls

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dwdorken wrote:

It only took 13 hours and 12 minutes for my first, post STIR/SHAKEN call. A Mandarin (I assume) robocall, call from phone number 86216399087.  Yep, an 11-digit phone number.

That sort of number should have probably been eliminated by the legislation from a couple of years ago.  See the thread link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-calls-for-universal-netwo...

Rogers link below:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/universal-call-blocking

If your particular callerID number applies to the above, you may wish to advise the CRTC (CCTS) so that they can get on top of Rogers for not properly implementing this feature.  Be sure you're correct first though about the number.

I also got a telemarketing call from the same exchange I'm on today on my home phone.  I (incorrectly) thought that STIR/SHAKEN would have blocked these sorts of blatant spoofs, but apparently not.  We're not much further ahead than we were years ago if Rogers doesn't implement some sort of appropriate algorithm/call blocking/screening/send to voicemail, etc. 

Other service providers have such options available (at no charge) and they have either eliminated or greatly reduced the number of spam/scam calls.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only thing that we gain is that we may (some day) be able to trust what we see on our Caller ID screens again.  However, I'm still not seeing any indication yet that the number of any incoming call has been verified; not on Home Phone and not on my iPhone either.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dwdorken wrote:

It only took 13 hours and 12 minutes for my first, post STIR/SHAKEN call. A Mandarin (I assume) robocall, call from phone number 86216399087.

Yep, an 11-digit phone number.

Unbelievable.

So a lot of people might not fully understand how this works. 86 is the country code for china and if someone from china wanted to pick up their phone and call you weather it was intentional or mischievous then nothing in our legislation will prevent that call,  china also may have a different phone number length from north American numbers.   if someone from china or india called you and "spoofed" their number to disguise it as a local toronto number then i would be alarmed, but maybe the technology is actually working maybe they tried to spoof their number to a Toronto number but the technology kicked in and revealed their real number? its hard to tell, but i would NOT be jumping to conclusions that the technology has failed.   People first need to understand what the technology is designed to do, its designed to show if a number is verified /authenticated or not.   you may still get telemarketing calls, heck i can telemarked you from my own number and the call will come thru, it would not be bright but this technology wont eliminate those calls completely. but you now will have some indicator if its safe to answer or not.   remember guys, telemarketing will never go away, but we can definitely weed out the bad ones

Please add the option for the "press random number to connect" anit-robo call feature People I know on other carries have this and it seems like it would be quite effective. It's gotten to the point that I don't pick up numbers I don't recognize but I do worry I'm missing potentially important things. With the random number gate system it seems like I'd be pretty sure its a real person trying to get a hold of me. At least until the robo callers get more sophisticated with speech recognition.

PLEASE this seems like an easy feature to add.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a link on Rogers' website regarding STIR/SHAKEN.  Currently (only), the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro support this technology...

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/stir-shaken-caller-id-identification

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Update on STIR/SHAKEN.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/09/26/canadians-will-continue-to-get-spam-calls-for-the-foreseeable-fut...

Basically, so far, it has not lived up to promises due to the infrastructure and (lack of) compatible phones.  Very sad.

EhmTeeEhf
I'm a reliable contributor

Truly... This MUST change...

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 in conversation