Blocking Unwanted Callers - Telemarketer's/Scams

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Blocking Unwanted Callers - Telemarketer's/Scams

There is a similiar scam going on where the calling centre calls and tells you about the deal from Rogers and ask if you are with Bell.  There is another same one, same script that gives you the deal from Bell and asks  if you are with Rogers.

If it is legitimate, ask Rogers to confirm that your telemarketing settings are set the way you desire, as it is not online anymore.  Since it is not online, they have to put a request in to set them properly.

It is unusual that the Rogers staff wouldn't take more detail to confirm whether they have a program on going, as this one is a known scam.  I get those calls, the phone numbers are always spoofed in my case, there is a huge number of people in the call centre, and often strong accents.

Still, from my perspective, I would be concerned by the lack of any response and the final rudeness, and I am not the type to take that from any company and I escalate.

But that is my approach.

But be aware, it may not be their program.

Bruce 

I'm a Frequent Visitor

As I said, Rogers confirmed it's a 3 rd party. What must I do. Disappear and say Rogers is always right. No. They make mistakes and then try to bully existing clients. 

Won't work in the long run.

I'm a Frequent Visitor

And I see I waste my time. I'm wrong by your standards. Pity.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I really don't want to get into a debate on this - there is a 3rd party company that works for Rogers and a scam that sounds exactly the same, claiming to be Bell, or Rogers.

In my reading, it sounded so much like the current scam that is going on, and it was not clear to me that a Rogers rep had said directly that it was a 3rd party company.  My apologies for misunderstanding, I was responding from my own experience.

The way to get that turned off is to contact a CSR and directly request that you be removed from the list, and to have your marketing permissions reviewed - they can see them - and request you have them set as you desire.

Unfortunately, the only way they can set them at the moment (in my experience), is they put a request to the back office to set your requested settings.  I would then call back about 4-6 weeks later to ensure it is done.  Plus the request to be removed from third party contact, they typically advise you that it may take 4-6 weeks before you are off the list, to just politely just hang up on them.

That is my own experience anyway.

You can probably send a message to communityhelps via the private message system and ask them to contact you to review your settings and this issue.  No one on this board can review your account as it is confidential and has to be done in private.  

Maybe a moderator can pop in and provide the full details on how to contact communityhelps.  I would not know how to fully explain it and you guys do it well.

If you cannot get the desired outcome, then consider escalating as per the escalation policy methods as no customer should be treated rudely over something like this.  I don't think the concierge is really a department that deals with this type of issue though - they take care of moving services when you are moving is my understanding.

I wish you the best in the future to getting these to stop.

As always, I am only trying to help, but I am human and can misunderstand and for that I apologize,

Bruce

I Like it Here

My 2 cents is that it seems awfully convenient that when there is a bad experience Rogers gets to claim that it was not them and that it was a bad guy somewhere and they are innocent.  When I get calls from "Bell" they seem polite and professional.  But when I get calls from "Rogers" I get harassed.  I would think IF these were bad guys the experience would be similar.  I also find it curious that there is not a lot of press around this "scam".  If the bad guys are not successful they stop and move on. 

When I called Rogers it ended with sorry but it was obviously not us.  They based that decision on the fact that i was cursed at at that the # that called me was a Rogers #.  They refused to look into their auto dialler to confirm if indeed they had contacted me.

Time to start the move to Bell.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have also received telemarketing calls from people claiming to be Rogers and spoofing the Rogers number.  There are several ways to tell if these are telemarketers/scammers, etc.

1. If there is not a person there immediately when you pick up and say "hello". A "boiler room" is usually working off auto-dialers and it takes a while for an actual person to pick up.

2. Whenever someone claims to be from a certain company, I ask them to provide me with my own information, like an account number.  Usually they will hang up immediately because they don't have that information.

3. I have my phone number listed under a name that is not my own.  If they don't call me by my correct name, I know it's a telemarketer. If they don't bring it up, I do and they immediately hang up.

Lastly, I only deal with companies like Rogers directly (never through third parties) and I only deal with the company when I initiate the call.  Whenever someone calls you or knocks on your door, they never have your best interests at heart. They are only after your money or information. Hang up the phone or close the door.

Just a few tips. 

I've Been Around

is this number familiar to anybody?

i have this number calling me everyday, i already blocked the number on my phone and still keep on leaving automated voice message regarding my account with rogers that my account has already been forwarded to their company. which i don’t believe coz i don’t owe any money to rogers. here is he number ‭+1 (780) 800-0532‬

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rbo23wrote:

1 (780) 800-0532‬

If you search the web for that phone number, you will instantly see that it is a scammer.  What I don't understand is if you have the number blocked how they can leave a message.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's because there are more than one way to block a number, the number block feature that is built into the cellphone simply just checks the number calling u and matches it with the block list you added it to, the phone receives a call but the software in the phone blocks the phone from actually showing you its ringing but the call still rings on your phone it just does not show it, so because of this, they can still reach your voicemail

the second method blocks calls at the network level, since its done at the network level it intercepts it so it does not have a chance to go to voicemail, but you have to pay more for this type of feature cus its part of the network not your handset.

all in all, call block will be less and less effective with number spoofing so i do not even waist my time with it cus the scammers will always find a way around it, and this is not a rogers wireless problem, it affects everyone in the world too

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce, it is easy to spot them.  We were going to compare ANI vs. MDMF.
Our switches would not allow a telemarketer to use a DID not assigned to their PRI for example.
So they couldn't put in any number.

The way I do it is via CALL PILOT.  It will answer first and ask the caller to identify himself if the number is not on a whitelist.  Then Call Pilot alerts me to accept, reject, send to VM.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats