BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

@RAZZMATAZZ1963 first of all, it's a big, expensive mistake to use cellphone data for Internet.  Don't you have an Internet connection at home and a wifi router?  I know a family that lives way out in the sticks and they can only connect to the Internet via dial-up or a Rogers Rocket Hub, which is very expensive because it uses cellphone data. When they see an email with lots of pictures they will only download it when visiting friends that have a proper Internet connection.  You can buy a really good used laptop or desktop computer for $200 - $400 and just use your cellphone for what God intended them for, phone calls when you're away from home and there isn't a pay phone to be found, or someone needs to contact you in an emergency. I didn't think a "middle-aged" person would get so easily sucked into the smartphone culture. (I'm 76 and had my cellphone with me today when I was out and actually used it to make and receive a call.)

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

That is a good suggestion ....checking history on your web browser to figure out what put your bill up so high. The last two months with Rogers I have had to deal with over charges that were NOT possible so I am happy to read this as if I have to fight them over the bill I can use my browser history for the days I did actually use the Rogers 3G internet stick. Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Browser history is a very poor gauge of what usage may have been done.

Off the top of my head, there are about 30 things on your computer which could use internet, outside of the web browswer, which could eat up internet usage.

I've Been Around

Glad I am not the only person this is happening to.  Over the years I have been with Fido/ Tellus and now Rogers.  My father who only uses his phone to check email's is recordily racking up 4-6GB of data a month.  I have gone through all our "smart phones" and disabed automatic updates/ refresh etc.  I have also tried turning off my data AND turning off data for all applications (which is a pain in the BUTT when your working and require application to work) 

No matter what I do data is inflated.  Before switching I was with Tellus, the most data any individual user went through was 2GB.  On my current bill I have one individual user using over 10GB of data.  

Also, incase you are thinking kids, all phone users on my account are full time working adults.

I have tried calling rogers to rectify and they say it's the Iphone's fault - which I think is a complete cop out.  My Iphone with Tellus never had these data problems.  I think it's Roger's money maker, and quick money grab.  I will deffinetly not be renewing my contact with Rogers!  

I've Been Here Awhile

You have to remember...every picture on a web page takes up data. So a picture could be 3mb's....you should be using mobile versions of websites....not regular pc versions or each page will eat up your data fast.

So imagine opening facebook..with all its ad's. All the video's that play automatically...that is all data....that adds up fast..poof....

I'm a Senior Advisor

A couple of comments. I would keep questioning the data use and explore by searching how best to set your device for background data via wifi only reviewing what is using apps.

Comment. You have to remember...every picture on a web page takes up data. So a picture could be 3mb's.... That is e
E
300 pics and by default mobile devices use mobile browsers but do double check.

you should be using mobile versions of websites....not regular pc versions or each page will eat up your data fast.
So imagine opening facebook..with all its ad's.

All the video's that play automatically...that is all data....that adds up fast..poof.
I used. 49 mb in Facebook in 7 days. Turn off auto play of Facebook video on cellular and other apps. Minimize size of pics and wait to look at them.

Use your data management tools on my Rogers and device. Phones are usually set up by default as data eaters. You can control it.

Hope that helps. Use support to guide you. I can't speak to Apple but my Wife uses 250mb per month by turning it off.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for posting this. I currently have the same issue. Last month I was told I had exceeded my data limit less than 12 hours into the new billing cycle. Rogers did reset my pkan through their chat service (they don’t seem to have a number you can call to speak with anyone). Well I just got a message this morning saying I’m 350 mb over my plan which just started on the 19th of ‘March. I’ve never been over before and like you said Rogers can basically continue to do this and we the consumer have little recourse. I normally have my cellular data turned off and just use wifi so it’s makes no sense. Beware of Rogers and their data scan!!!

Good morning @Jkorchoski!

Please let me assure you that we are not in the business of scamming our customers. If you're consistently having this issue, then in my experience, it's most likely there is something going on with your phone that we'll need to investigate.

If you normally have data turned off entirely, it's possible that your phone's operating system isn't actually disabling the data. Have you attempted to backup and restore your device since this issue began?

We can investigate from here and try to determine where the usage is coming from. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can look into this matter for you.

If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your reply. I spoke with Roger's the other day about this as it's the second time it's happened. The CR person was Sharon. Very helpful. Turns out it's your billing system and they don't seem to know what it is happening. It has nothing to do with my phone and never has. When she checked my data usage it was under 100 MB. My average usage in most months is under 250 MB. Hopefully they get the billing issue resolved as I don't like having to call customer service 2 or 3 days into the new billing cycle when I get the automated message saying I'm over my alloted data. No perhaps it isn't a scam per se but I wonder how many people just pay the extra and don't think to question it. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Definitely think something is wrong. I have a 5gb data plan.

Rogers Application claims I exceeded my data by 185 mb

Android OS (Samsung S8+) says I only used 4.6 gb of my data.

Discrepancy: ~600 mb

Rogers claims that there's a difference between how the company calculates network traffic and how the android operating system calculates data. - Never encountered this problem with Bell (6+ years), and Telus (3+ years), where data estimates were within 10 mb. They declined to look any further into the problem.

Either there's a problem with the way they're calculating data usage compared to the other network providers or something else is wrong.

A more sinister conclusion would be that, in this scenario, it seems as if we have a 5gb plan, but we actually have 4.5 gb. Once go over that mark a little bit, it's an instant ding 4-5$ ding. Those dings add up.

If this continues, I'll start looking at other providers. I'm month-to-month. Shame, because the Rogers app has better UI compared to Telus and Bell.