BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Hello @theyabas

I wouldn't blame Rogers on this. Having WiFi Assist on will cause data to be pushed off the roof. This is Apple's fault here. Read below.

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.imore.com/how-to-turn-off-wifi-assist-ios-iphone?client=safari

http://ioshacker.com/how-to/turn-off-wi-fi-assist-setting-on-ios-9-to-save-cellular-data

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/disable-wi-fi-assist-ios-9/

If you research Google, you will find hundreds have complained about this. Turning off WIFI ASSIST will help you save data.
I'm Here A Lot

Sorry I told you wrong. My Wifi assist was off. I just checked after your message and I have been using apple for 5 years and never had issue. Also it is easy to blaim apple or other companies as Rogers. Why dont you guys try to fix the issue? or Rogers is doing fraud on purpose because of more income for the company? 

If you research Google, you will find hundreds have complained about Rogers Data scam!

If I didnt get into contract, i would've cancel my account with you.

I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I HAD TO WAIT ON THE PHONE 40 MINUTES TO TALK TO A PERSON. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @theyabas

Ah okay I didn't know thus why i posted that. Hmm i wonder what is causing this then.

I have owned all the iPhones and all the devices Rogers has released and not once have I had this issue. Have u gone over data my self? Yes but not once have I seen data go through the roof and just blame Rogers on it. Might be different with others but i haven't seen it on my two lines which i upgrade to all the devices every month or so.

I can't make any comments regarding what you are accusing them as, seeing as everyone can assume Rogers is doing something but never look at all the sides. I know a few people that had a cellphone line with Bell and had the same issues. They ended up finding out that they had apps and such open or other things happening.

Again you can contact Rogers and speak to their management team and see what they can say.

Yes we all have to wait to get a person to come on the phone. Due to alot of calls, days off and such.
I'm Here A Lot

That's why i didn't get Bell. It seems like Bell and Rogers getting same complaintments! This is embarrassing.

I am actually angry about waiting 40 minutes and not being able to get help. not about waiting.
And I guess you are right about waiting due to a lot of calls because of too many complaining from clients.

I haven't called Koodo's technical support not even once for 6 years. Thats why i can't really understand how you guys service to client.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @theyabas

Unfortunately nothing can be done about waiting on the line. It's something most companies have. I had to wait over 45 minutes with Samsung, Microsoft and about 25 minutes with Apple before. So it does happen. Doesn't necessarily mean it's "complaints" it can be anything.

You can always use Live Chat, Rogers on Facebook or Twitter. They will help you that way as well if you like. If you do not want to, the last resort is waiting for a rep to come on.

I'm Here A Lot

I personaly dont call Technical support for fun! 

Anyways I dont usually post on forums and etc.  I am posting here because I want you(Rogers) to fix your fraud. I dont want to pay something that i didnt use. And after my contract finished I am out of here. The services you are providing is horrible! 

FIX IT!!!!!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @theyabas

No one calls tech support for fun. Most people that call have reasons to call. Do remember some calls can take time as some customer want things explained to them and or take a while to investigate what is going on. Questions are asked as well.

As you can see my Signature below, I do not work for Rogers and most users do not on here. We are simply users like you on here trying to help. Contacting Rogers on the phone would be the best thing u can do if you do want to follow the other steps I gave you above.

Hopefully at the end. Everything gets fixed up for you.
I've Been Around

I am going through something similar with Rogers right now. Recently I started paying attention to my data usage and it seems to be unusually/suspicously high. We have a 9GB max. I don't stream Spotify or Apple Music on the fly, or do anything unusual, but last month I approach 8GB! I was shocked.

I called Rogers and of course learned that they really don't know/can't account for how data is added up. They just charge on the total. So they can say anything they want and you have to pay. My rep told me to reset the Cellular Data Usage in my phone to coincide with the beginning of my billing period. That way I could track my usage by the phone and see where data is being used.

This sounded like a great plan. My billing period started today, so last night I reset my data -- in advance of the change.  Mid-morning today I checked and my phone said 8.2MB of data used (I purposely barely used my phone). When I went to the Rogers app, it said 57MB of data used! What?!  That is 7x the amount of data! If Rogers has a multiplier on my data use in order to drive up usage, then that will add up very quickly over the course of a month.

So I called again and this time the rep tells me "well, your phone's data usage count may not be accurate."  Seriously? It was you guys who told me yesterday to do this. My phone gives me an exact tally of all data used and where (iPhone 6s+ ios 10.1.1). The Rogers total is just a bulk number with no accounting at all about what comprises that total. It is completely ridiculous that Rogers is allowed to arbitrarily bill customers for usage that appears to be fabricated (since they cannot account for how it is derived).

How is this allowed to happen? I will be voicing this concern with the CRTC for what it's worth, but just a warning that as a customer you are fully at the mercy of whatever number Rogers attributes to your line in terms of usage.

So for now I have turned off Cellular Data completely and I will live on wifi as a test. If the usage number changes now, then there is a very serious problem indeed.

Just be warned that the Rogers usage of data is 7x the actual usage, at least in my case.

I've Been Here Awhile

Totally same problem. 4 years a customer and always under data plan. 3 months ago we started blowing through the plan and getting warning messages 3 days into the month. Probably lost a full business day on hold and arguing and escalated to retention. They took a week to investigate only to say it was streaming. No proof or specifics and no help. We are technically astute and not using this data for sure. Why would data triple when we did nothing different compared to the past 4 years. I had to turn data off completely. It's a scam and they won't get to the bottom of it.
I've Been Here Awhile

Going through this right now. They freely charge whatever they want and say I should get a bigger plan! I'm not blowing through my full plan in 3 days when for the past 4 years we never did and we are doing nothing different. Phone is set up to minimize data usage and I work at home most of the time so turn data off. Ridiculous how I've wasted a full business day likely with all the calls and being on hold for 3 months.
Coming on PPV!
Spence vs. Garcia Live
LIVE: Saturday March 16, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV customers can order as of March 13
DTV Customers can order as of March 14
Spence vs. Garcia Promo

IBF welterweight world Champion Errol Spence Jr. (24-0, 21 KOs) will defend his belt against four-division world champion and current WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia (39-0, 30 KOs), who will move up two weight divisions to go for a world title in a fifth division in a meeting between two of boxing’s elite pound-for-pound best in the world.

Topic Stats