BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Umm... where do you go to get this technology handed to you ??  

I've had to pay for mine... and doesn't that mean that the business  you are paying has a responsibility to see that it it is working  as it is supposed to  and to have an understanding of it's operation  to aid in  determining why it's not  when it seems to be running amuck.  Isn't that customer service? Smiley Wink

Do the Rouge apps  have a reputation for  causing issues or is this more of a rogue app that is causing an issue ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When it happened to me, was i beleive with my iphone 4.

I could litterally see the data going up by refreshing my data usage part of the iphone.
(while i was on wifi too)
At that point, i wasnt aware quite how the phone worked, etc.  I called into rogers at that point.. and asked for help.
The person showed me about how to close the apps on the phone (double click on the home button and close them)
Closed EVERYTHING on the phone.

And it stopped.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

From my experience, both working with Rogers and from my own personal cell phone use, the charges are always legitmately caused by the data going out from the phone. The charges are not made up, as the amount of data that is measured by the phone and by your wireless provider is what is actually used by the phone.

The problem, around 95% of the time, is caused by the phone itself. The most common thing I recommend is to diaable your cellular/mobile data feature in the settings of your phone when you are using Wi-Fi. What can, and most likely will, happen, is that the Wi-Fi connection drops, and then all of a sudden all the internet usage on your phone is coming out of your plan rather then off of the Wi-Fi. My internet modem is in my basement, and if I go outside on our step at one end of the house, I lose the Wi-Fi so I sometimes end up with addtional usage I didn't mean to have occur. The same thing could happen if the Wi-Fi is faulty at school, work, etc.

I know on the Android operating system, you can set a limit on the data, and also set a warning limit. I have 2GB, so when my phone has recorded 1GB I get a warning and then at 2GB the phone disables the data on its own and I have to manually go in and turn it back on if I want to continue. So that is definatel a precaution I recommend everyone take. I think iOS has a similar feature but I don't use iPhones and can't comment on how you would do this.

As well, the wireless carrier you're with, whether Rogers or otherwise should be sending you notifications of your usage. I get notifications from my provider at 90% usage and $30.00 overusage. I know Rogers sends a notification at 75%, 100%, and then $30.00 overage on all the Share Everything plans. If you reach $50.00, the data is disabled and you have to manually accept the charges via a link we send you in order to continue. In the case of multiple phones it is disabled at $50.00 multipled by the number of phones on the share plan (i.e. two phones it would be $50.00 X 2 or $100.00).

Bottom line, there is always a reason for the charge to be on the bill, and by following the right steps on your phone and paying attention to any notifications you receive, you can minimize the charges you wind up with.

Hopefully this has been helpful.

I've Been Here Awhile

This is also a problem with me but I'm done with Rogers help and tech lines. There has to be a better place to go that would be interested in the tests I ran.

I've Been Here Awhile

Come to think of it my problems started when I clicked their icon to open myrogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Last year (October) I had the same issue with Rogers telling me I went over my data usage.  Thankfully, I was able to see the dates on my bill when data was being used for the month of September.  There was a glitch for sure in their system as the dates September 17, 18 and 19th (no other days were there data usage).  I proved to them that their was a problem on their end by walking into a Rogers store, having the CSR call them....the CSR had my vacation itinerary in hand which clearly stated I was out of country....BAM....Rogers was forced to credit my account for their mess up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As has been mentioned before.. just because you were away, doesnt always mean it wasnt you/your devices.

With just about everything and anything being internet connected.. from an apple TV to your coffe maker now even... if any sort of device was connected, could have done something, etc. (a device like an apple TV doing auto updates, getting stuck in a loop).
Security on the wireless is another thing.. if someone has managed to get into your wireless, etc.. could be leatching.

All that being said.. it still might not necessarily be 'you/your stuff'.
As has been mentioned before, there have been cases of MAC address spoofing, where another modem elsewhere appears to be yours.. but its then counted as your usage.

BEST bet, if you are going away for any extended period.. would be to UNPLUG the modem completely.
I have even heard of people calling in to have a not put on the account that they are doing so.
SOOO if any usage happens durring that timeframe... well there is the proof that it was MAC cloning or something else

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand what you are saying @Gdkitty, however in my case Rogers messed up.  

Data usage was not for my internet, as I do not have internet with Rogers.  It was for my phone which was turned off, battery pulled and left at home.

I had proof and Rogers was made accountable for the problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah yes, your right.
You essentially did in the end the same thing though, but for on WIRELESS Smiley Happy
Unpluging the battery (when available, cant do on iphone, etc) ensures that its OFF and can not use ANY usage up

Just leaving 'off', for some phones like blackberry, dont really have an OFF state...  better to completely have no way of turning on.

But then yes, you have your proof, etc of it being a false charge.

(i was just stating the other stuff.. working in IT support for a living elsewhere.. 8/10 times when there is usage issues, etc.. it can often be traced back to something local to the user.. weither by their fault or not. )

I've Been Around

Yes I am having the same problem.  Think I will look for another internet provider immediately.

Topic Stats