BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Exactly the reason we are switching from rogers. Everything works fine then......paying overage charges that cannot be explained. Scam
I Plan to Stick Around

In your phone's settings (Android) there is a usage page where you can enable/disable data roaming so you do not pay the higher data roaming charge. You can also limit your data usage so there is no data transfer once you near your ceiling (mine shuts down at 50 meg below plan ceiling)  You can also set your device so there are no phone or app updates unless you are connected through wifi. 

I've Been Here Awhile

i agree with you 100% !! i had this issue in september of last year and now ive recieved a notice saying that im over again...5 GIGS !! ive never gone over, usually use about 3.5 Gigs.... i called them and spoke to them about this issue, also got the same response. SO yes, Rogers CAN and WILL charge you whatever they want and then say that " its your fault " ... and of course someone from Rogers will comment on the status here and say something to try to redeem themselves...but even if you call you will still get a to bad so sad, pay your bill. 

I've Been Here Awhile

so basically keep your phone off all together then.??! this rogers company is unreal.. Theives 

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem right now that they wont' tell me what data I used. I don't understand who I called which and for how long isn't confidential but my phone apps are confidentials. makes no sense. Has anyone tried going through the Better Business Bureau for arbitration? Any luck?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They can only tell that data WENT through the phone and onto their system...
Using say a more packet inspection, etc.. they might be able to tell that the request went to say FACEBOOK or whatever..

But they can not tell what on the phone made the request, etc.

Some phones like Androids, will allow for tracking of an app by app bassis of what each was using.

I Plan to Stick Around

Its always wise to be curtious and allow Rogers a chance to make right.

However, if you cant get them to investigate and you feel you have a legitimate case in dispute.....

contact Commissioner for Complaints - for Telecommunicatons Services www.ccts-cprst.ca

There is a formal complaint process for any carrier.

EC

I've Been Here Awhile

I think Spark's reaction here is understandable. We're handed this awesome, powerful technology that never existed 10 years ago and expected to know how it works inside and out. The reality is that the average consumer doesn't, and making assertions of "scams" is only natural as a consumer when you truly feel you are being taken advantage of. However the reality is that Rogers is not in the business of manipulating data usage reports for profit.

Data reporting is a one way street starting from the device, and any service provider simply records what the device is using plain and simple. There have been instances of devices themselves having software issues that can generate large sums of data in error. Now this is very rare, but possible, which leads into the overall concept of unintentional data usage. Automatic updates, background applications and so forth.

If you truly feel the phone is using data when it shouldn't be, I would recommend a complete factory reset of the device and update to the newest OS version. Troubleshoot with Rogers Technical or with Apple (if iPhone) to resolve any potential hardware or software issues. Be assured it's not a scam, and Rogers doesn't have the ability to tell you what the phone is doing.

I've Been Around

Exactly the same thing happened to us. I apparently used a whole GB in a day one month, and this past month, I apparently used 450 MB in consecutive days. My wife had the same issue, where she apparently used 1 GB in a day. We traced back our activity, and we were either home (and in wifi) or busy the majority of the day and limited access to phones. I don't know what Rogers is trying to pull by messing with people over and over again, but I've had it. Once the contract is up, we're out of here. I've had numerous calls with them and in the end spend hours on the phone arguing about a problem I can't prove isn't there and they can't prove I've used the data. Pathetic.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most phones, will have a data tracker of some form.  some more detailed than others (i beleive android can show more daily breakdown, etc).

If you beleive that something is amiss, its best to use this to track/see IF it is being used or not through the phone, and that also gives proof if beleived otherwise.
Take a screenshot of each days usage, which then can be used as proof.

(android again i think will break down by day if you choose to.  Iphone, it only shows based on when the last reset was, so you would have to reset every day.)

This would then be a good guide, as to what is being used or not.
I have had this ONCE happen to me, way in the past (when i only had a 500mb plan.  In a day, went to close to a gig.  The phones usage at that time, did show an abnormally large amount of usage.
Like you, was PRIMARILY on wifi.
One thing that has seemed to happen, on both android and iphone in the past, are ROUGE apps.  Apps, that for whatever reason seem to get STUCK on whatever connection they were started with.  So if it was opened first (after say a clean restart) on cellular, it continues to use that cellular regardless of connected onto wifi.

Regardless of carrier, and if you choose to switch, it would be a good idea to track this down, JUST in case.
If it is the device.. and you do cary the device to another carrier.. the problem could continue there.

Topic Stats