BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

I just wanted to post this to share with the current and prospective Rogers' customers that maybe we need to think twice about being Rogers' customers.  We have been Rogers' customers for almost 20 years and our entire family uses Rogers. 

I currently have a 500 MB data plan.  In the past year and a half since my data plan, my data usage has never been over the limit and my usage in the past month has been as usual.  To my surprise, when my bill came, Rogers claimed that I used a total of 1.39 GB of data in the last month which does not make sense to me. 

In confusion, I called Rogers and ask them what happened and if they could provide me with more information of my usage and breakdown of where all that data went.  They said they could not provide me with information as to what websites were visited due to confidentiality issues, which I believe is fair.  They only provided me with the information that I used 900 MB between Mar.23 and 24 which baffles me as to how I could have used so much when I normally use less than 500 MB in an entire month!  However, the representative told me that he could not provide me with any further information and they charge whatever they track.  I questioned regarding possible malfunction or something in their tracking system since I am not convinced that I could have used that much data in 1 day.  The representative said that there is NO chance of malfunction and essentially NO room for any dispute since he said that he is not by my side 24 hours a day to watch my usage.  He suggested that I turn off my data altogether.  However, if this is a malfunction in their system, even IF i did turn off my data and IF I say I turned off my data and they STILL clock me at data usage, he can STILL use this same argument that essentially . . . I am lying! 

Actually, this same month, my daughter's phone line was told she had used 450 MB of data 19 days into the billing cycle.  She normally stays within her 500 MB limit as well (usually using only about 300 MB each month).  She also, did not use any more data than usual. 

This is also not the only time that this had happened either.  In the past, with my other phone line (used by a family member), two days before the end of a billing cycle, her Rogers account says that she has 40 MB remaining of her 500 MB data limit.  I understand that the "My Accounts" does not show usage within the last 4 hours.  However, when she checked, it was at the end of the ski day (around 4pm) and she did not use her data at all since the beginning of the ski day (around 9-10am). Being so close to her limit, she limited her usage to only checking a couple of important emails for the one-and-a-half day remaining of the billing cycle.  To her surprised, when the bill came, she ended up actually being 70 MB OVER her limit, meaning she somehow used a total of 110 MB of data in one-and-a-half day of limited use.  I ended up having to pay the overusage as well.

At the end of the day, I guess as Rogers' customers, it is up to Rogers' to FREELY charge us as much data overusage as they would like.  As customers, we are not given any chance to dispute or question how the charges came about and are just forced to pay whatever Rogers charges!  

Just a warning for all of you out there, this is how Rogers treats their HIGH-PROFILE and LOYAL customers of 20 years!  Beware!

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: BEWARE: Rogers' Data Scam

Hello Spark3

I am sorry to hear all this that happened. I would like to know what type of devices you & your daughter are using. Many on iPhone's & a few other phones had this issue in which Rogers knew about. Have you spoken to a Rogers retentions agents or a Manager? If not then i would say send a letter to the office of the president. They will be able to look at it in more then the reps do. They will see the cell towers & which device you used & what data you used.

This may not be a scam as you claim. All carriers do this time from time. most of the time its the users mistake as the devices the use, use data without the user knowing. This is why i asked which device you have. Not saying you did it. If you read posts on here, you will see many complaining about it & then getting a discount or their data fees credit back. Depending on who you speak to of course.

Sometimes when you use a smartphone & leave apps running in the background, it will tend to use data without anyone knowing. This is why you MUST close the apps you are not using IF you are using a smartphone like a iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC & the rest. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with meowmix... while not saying that its NOT an error.. i would try to talk with retions, etc.. and see what they can do..

But it quite possibly can be the phone.
As meowmix said, there have been some bugs/errors in some of the phones/phone operating systems, which caused some errors (iphone iOS 6 data leak, etc)... which could cause excessive usage.  Make sure to always update your phone when it prompts you, as they can fix those issues (most of the time).

Apps running in the background, as meowmix said, can continualy use data, even if not open.  These can even cause 'run away' processes.
I actualy had this myself one month... In the space of a few hours, went from 300 of my 500mb, to 75%, then 100% of my usage! (and likely over).  Being a new iphone user at the time, wasnt aware of how to turn off apps, etc (other than turning the phone off).
Once finding out how.. and killing EVERYTHING running on the phone.. the data stoped going up.  SOMETHING.. one of those apps, was continualy downloading/refreshing/updating... and it was eating the data up.

Both Meowmix and i are not saying this to blame you, etc.. just trying to make sure, that it is NOT your end doing it.. as it often can be, without the user even knowing Smiley Sad

I've Been Around

This SCAM is REAL. I recently had to cancel my mobile internet service which I've been using for about 6 months. During the 5 months I averaged about 2GB/month. When I submitted my cancellation request my internet consumption jumped to 8.43 GB/month! This is impossible!

I asked a few different representatives to give me the details of the usage but received the same answer, "Unfortunatley we dont have details of your consumption, you can view your usage under you account online". So, I tried accessing this information online GUESS WHAT? Unfortunatley, this information can not be accessed since I cancelled my account!

RIDICULOUS! So during my last month of service I'm uunable to monitor my usage?! But, I'm still a customer why would Rogers discontinue access to this information.

UNFORTUNATLEY, I currently have 7 Rogers Plans and they will ALL be cancelled because if this ...Horrible service from every department.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is onw thing i dont understand..

It seems as soon as the cancelation is started to be processed.. you still have the 30 days which you may give notice.. but at that point.. the usage disapears..

OK,yes, the cancelation has STARTED to be processed in the system.. may be a shut off date, etc.. but it SHOULDNT disapear, until the last day.

I've Been Around

I normally don't bother writing on this sort of forum...but this time i have to. Rogers marked me down for using 2.5gb of data in one day - sept 12 and i went through 3 customer representatives and all they told me was if it is tracked in their system then it is what i will be billed for. if there is something wrong, it is either me or my iphone, 'the system doesn't just make up charges'.

I suppose rogers has built the perfect system!!

Then i contacted them again through their online chat support, the first agent told me the same thing - the system is robust and can't be wrong. finally i asked to speak to a maanger, and he agreed to give me unlimited data usage for the cellphone to resolve this problem.

In short, the first 4 customer reps were all helpless - the manager was nice enough to try to solve the problem, but it really shouldn't have taken me all together 2 hours to get this fixed. And my fear is that this problem will come back to hunt me again.

to be fair, it is not just rogers doing this, bell too. Canada needs more competition to keep these guys honest.

Rogers Employee grandpajim
Rogers Employee

Often an unexpected high data usage over a short period is a program or several programs doing updates while the phone is idle. IE overnight.

Most are very small and not noticeable others can be quite large. So the simple answer is when not using the phone turn off data and connect to WIFI. see below for more inforamtion.

There are many factors that can contribute to data overage on your bill.  Here are some tips on how to prevent data overage with almost any device:  Download the user guide to your computer. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your settings.

• Wi-Fi: Turn off data to prevent the Rogers network having the stronger signal than WIFI. Use Wi-Fi whenever possible to help reduce your data charges. Note: Some apps require the security of the rogers network and will not work through WIFI.
  • Streaming: Media/Video streaming has a huge impact on your data usage. Limit what you are streaming on your device.  Another option is to turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection. 

• Online Gaming: Playing game that requires a constant data connection (e.g. RPG, MMO, etc) can impact your data usage for the month. To determine if a game is using data Step 1 Turn off cell data but leave WIFI on  An error will tell you it is probably using Rogers data and will not work through WIFI. Step 2 Now turn off wifi and cell data. If you get an error the program is using data but will work through WIFI.  Recommended you turn off data and stream using a Wi-Fi connection if possible.

• Downloading Apps & updates: All programs do regular updates (usually while the phone is not in use) & some can be quite large. It is worth while to check settings for updates, some you can change others you cannot but it is worth taking the time to find out. Also if you like to download Apps a lot, then this can contribute to data overage as well. You can try downloading/updating your Apps via Wi-Fi (with data turned off) or through your computer & appropriate desktop program.

• Apps that use data; There are many Apps that use data to update their programming, or update current information. Be careful to read the stipulations of the any Apps you download. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others frequently update posts while the amounts may be small they can add up especially posts that include pictures or other media files. Read and change notification settings (time consuming but worth it)  for the above programs to reduce the amount of posts or funny pictures sent to your phone via these programs. They use data even if you don't view them. No one can decide your settings for you so take the time to review your notification settings.

• Programs running in the background: Most devices allow you to turn off the applications running in the background.  You can shut these applications down in settings usually found in "Running programs".

• Turn off GPS: GPS is a very useful tool to have on your Smartphone. GPS uses a huge amount of battery life . It is always advisable to turn this off when not in use. GPS also uses up a huge amount of data if use wireless networks is enabled and when downloading maps for a new location or during an update. Option 1 turn GPS off. Option 2  Turn off use wireless networks (WIFI & cell towers)

Tethering (Personal Hotspot): This feature allows you to share your Android cellular data connection with other devices. (e.g. Computer, Tablets, etc.) Limiting your use of tethering can help to prevent data overage.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I don't know if it's really a data scam but when I upgraded to a new phone at the Rogers store in town they told me the new phones needed at least 1 gigabyte of data cause 500 megabytes wasn't enough.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on the user, and what they do.

Your average user? 500 is likely not enough.. someone who does alot of browsing, video, ontop of email, etc.. yeah, 500 wont be enough.

But you can very easily have a 500mb plan and get by with it.

I am currently on a 2g plan (grandfathered).. prior to that, was on a 500mb plan.  And while i use it a LITTLE more now that i know i have the 2g.. my usage?  still under 500mb on average most months.
But i CHOOSE not to use alot when i am am on cellular.  Basic web browsing at the most.. i dont download updates to app, dont watch videos, etc.. and make sure to be on wifi whenever possible (work, home, and anywhere else i can)

There should be no forced reason to go up to a 1g min plan, etc.. as the current lower data plans, are still cheap enough for the min needed for the new 2 year contracts

I've Been Around

I do not see how their explanation "this is a confidentiality issue" makes any sense. Getting a copy of your browsing history and associated data volume is precisely what would allow you to dispute the charges, if indeed there was a mistake. Your browsing history is your information, so you're the only one who gets to veto its disclosure. Don't let Rogers tell you otherwise, it's just wrong on every level.

Topic Stats