Advice Needed for Fraud Case. No Help from Rogers, Just Lies.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Advice Needed for Fraud Case. No Help from Rogers, Just Lies.

I have been a customer of Rogers for many years. For the most part, I have never had any issues but I will say contacting any level of customer support is always a bit distressing knowing the length of time required to get proper support. Unfortunately, I am now involved with a case of fraud on my account and the required involvement of support leads me to think the worst of my service provider. I do believe I am a now a customer whom they have chosen to pass off thinking that I will just eventually cave and pay. 

I have come here to post my experience and to seek the communities help. As a previous large forum operator, my experience has been excellent seeking advice in this sort of medium and I hope the advice some of you are willing to share will assist me to get this matter cleared up. 

Here we go.... (This could be quite lengthy so hopefully I am not too beat by the end of reliving this story to fix my grammar where necessary 😉  I  therefore apologize now. I would also like to note here I could include a lot more detail with what I am about to write but I will stick to the main details for now.)

November 2018

I visited a London (where I resided at the time), Ontario Rogers store and signed up for a plan that included a Google Pixel 3XL. As part of the promotion, I was given a tablet in lieu of bonus data on my plan. The tablet is a Huawei and it can be used with a sim card. I told the sales rep I did not want the sim card since I will never use it for calls or for data outside of wifi. I guess she still had to set it up with the sim card along with assigning it a phone number. I can honestly say I do not even know if she included the sim card within one of the boxes I left the store with. I have never personally installed the sim card nor seen it. I used the tablet infrequently on wifi and it always stated "No Service" because obviously there was no sim card installed.

July 2019

I moved to St. Thomas Ontario and have not used or even charged the Huawai tablet since I have been here. It is still to this day in the backpack I transported it here in.

November 29th, 2019

I logged in to my My Rogers account app on my phone only to find my upcoming bill was over $500 which shocked me because it has always been around the $150 mark. After downloading and reviewing my bill, it clearly showed all of these extra charges were on this additional sim card that I had never installed, did not even know if it had actually been included in the packages I left the Rogers store with, nor had I ever even seen it. Didn't sleep well that night knowing previous interactions with Rogers support is always a very trying and tedious experience. I figured I would wait until Monday to contact support since I had a very busy weekend planned with family. 

November 30th, 2019 - First Lie

Couldn't wait until Monday. Being a bit of a news follower I knew when someone gets a hold of a sim card that is not theirs they can play a real havoc on your life. I called Rogers.

I recorded this phone call. The call lasted for about 45 minutes. I spoke with a very caring lady in billing support. I will say this first, after the call ended I hung up feeling an sense of relief. Huge sense of relief. To me, she did more than I expected and I had little concern of a 'bad outcome'. 

I explained to her what I saw on my bill, informed her that I had never installed the sim card on the tablet let alone know if I had actually walked out of the store with the sim card in one of the bags I left with. I informed her that I was not using the device at all. She told me she was contacting the fraud department and put me on hold several times, keeping me informed all of the while telling me what she was working on. Among some of the details she shared with me included: She stated she was talking to the fraud department, saw that all all access from the sim card was coming from London, Ontario (I reside in St. Thomas, Ontario), she asked me if I knew of a few numbers that were being called from the device where the sim card was being used, she stated it was a Samsung device , along with a few other details. She then told me they were locking the device and disabling the sim card so no further access would be allowed. She also informed me that I would be receiving a call from the Rogers Fraud department in 3-5 business days since they had now opened an investigation.

No one ever called me within 3-5 business days.

December 10th, 2019 - Second Lie

I recorded this phone call. Since I never did receive a phone call from the Rogers Fraud department as promised I figured I would call support again and speak to a supervisor. When I called, the first level support agent said to me, I should be to someone as I requested because the case had been closed by the fraud department and  there were more charges coming on the next bill. I asked what she meant and clarified they were the ones between the last bill and the time of my first call where the sim card was disabled. She patched me through to a supervisor. 

Within a few moments of speaking with the supervisor, he stated the case was in fact closed and he was offering me a $200 credit because that was all he was allowed to give. I stated that was not sufficient since none of the charges were mine directly and if he took time as the fraud department should have, they would see that none of the phone numbers that were being called from this sim card were any of the phone numbers that were coming from my personal device let alone originating from the same city I resided in. I was getting frustrated. He said he would see what he would have to talk with one of his managers and that I would hear back from him.

Within about 5 minutes he called me back. He told me he had just spoken with his manager and they were going to forward my complaint to a department that would review each call line by line and issue a credit based on each call. He told me that his manager told him this should work and if it didn't, there was another path they could take. He assured me that if it did not work, he would call me back personally within 2-3 days but if it did work, I would not hear back from him and the credit would be reflected on my next bill.

I never heard back from him so I assumed as he stated, the path they elected to get a credit by way of worked. Wrong.

December 27th, 2019 - Third Lie

I recorded this phone call. I looked up my bill on my My Rogers app. It is now over $1000. I called Rogers Billing support. When the agent answered, I told him I did not want to waste his time at all since I obviously needed to speak with a supervisor. He said "Ok" but wanted a few details. So I shared what I have basically shared here. He said he was then reviewing the notes on the account. At the end his words were to the effect "Oh, no. This is not right". I said "What?". He said he just read everything and "This is not good.... No one ever called you? Because this case has been closed". I said no. He asked "And you never received and email?" I said no. He told me to hold and he was going to get someone right away. Well that took forever so we filled it with idle chit chat except for one interesting bit of exchange. I asked him if he could see that the sim card had actually been disabled so no further access and charges would accumulate. He replied "No, it is still active." I freaked. The very first phone call the lady told me they had disabled it and I again shared this with him. He said that as far as he can see it is still being used.

Finally we ended the call with him stating "Anthony Butterwurth(sp?)", a supervisor would be calling me within 15 minutes and verified my phone number with me. We hung up and I thanked him since he did seem to share some of my grief.

15 Minutes went by, then 20, then an hour.... You guessed it. Anthony never called. My heart sank. A real sense of unease came over me and I started to suspect I was one of those customers who Rogers was just going to tow along until I paid. Two days later, here I sit. Sleeping poorly with no sense just how much time this is about to take up in my life nor the mental anguish.

So I come to this community now. 

• I am fully expecting my credit rating to now take a hit.
  • I will not pay the extra charges and as far as I am concerned Rogers needs to make this more than right but that in itself is merely a dream. 

What should I do? Any recommendations? Maybe I should go to CBC Go Public? I am at a loss to be honest. A $1000 is a $1000 and obviously this is only getting to be a larger sum of money every day. 

Finally, I get everyone has issues with their providers and they really are no different in this sense at all for what I have experienced. But this has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I want to move to another now. 

Re: Advice Needed for Fraud Case. No Help from Rogers, Just Lies.

Hello and welcome to our Community @LostinLondon!

I have read over your post and it does seem like we've committed a series of errors here rather than do what is right. I am terribly sorry for this experience. While fraud cases can be complex, we should have absolutely made sure the SIM card was disabled so that no further charges could be accrued until the fraud investigation was properly completed.

I invite you to PM us @CommunityHelps so that I can review your account history and determine the best next steps. It is most likely that I will have to re-escalate this case to our fraud department. 

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

"we've committed a series of errors here rather than do what is right"

No, it is your turn to make an effort to contact me, as promised so many times prior. Re-Escalation to your fraud department does nothing for me, They have already closed the case because they deemed it not as fraud. It is fraud and I am prepared now to explore every avenue available to me.

Sorry, but this is just "Rogers Talk". I am seeking an actual resolution.

I've Been Here Awhile

You should’ve not left the store without your sim card.
You could’ve easily cut the tablet sim card in half and throw it in the garbage if you don't need it.

I suggest paying the bill to avoid any collection issued and to avoid damaging your credit report.

Your best option is to contact the CRTC. (Google them and file a formal complaint)