What happens to Smart Home if I cancel Internet?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

What happens to Smart Home if I cancel Internet?

Hello,

I currently have Smart Home Monitoring but it is self-monitored, we don't pay for the monitoring, we're only paying $19.99/m for the unit itself. I have the rules set up for email/text notifications and can access the camera from my computer and more often through the app on my cell. What would happen if I didn't have internet with Rogers anymore? ..

Would I just have a box that makes noise if the alarm is activated? No external access to the unit or camera? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What happens to Smart Home if I cancel Internet?

Possibly.

From my understanding, is that yes, for self monitored, you can use your own seperate internet.

Problem is that they cant guarantee connectivity to it via the internet at that point.  While it might, it might not.
Some parts like the camera, need certian configuration so the NAT doesnt interfear, etc.. in which it might not properly communicate through on your seperate internet.
So yeah, no camera.. the remote apps to arm, etc wouldnt communicate, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As a note on this subject. When internet is gone it will not send out text messages. Since you can't upgrade the software without the internet, I imagine it is not ideal.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To have a monitored service.. which would include the texting out, etc (which is done from rogers side, not the device itself), you need internet access.

Since this original post, some things have changed.

You ARE able to have any 3rd party internet with the rogers security service.  You need to plug in one of the netgear wireless router, which makes a small private wireless network just for it.  Your local network just needs to be able to assign a DHCP address to their router for it, etc.. and allow it out to the internet.