Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Home Monitoring - Q & A Thread

Hi there,

Does anyone know how much INTERNET usage the home monitoring system will consume?

When I called my current alarm company to cancel, they said to beware - you may need to upgrade your internet package.

I'm on the 80GB/Mo package and use it very lightly.

Thanks,

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have not read any numbers.. but i would think, VERY VERY little.

The only real time, some data would be used, would be when accessing it via the phone or computer app.. it would need to transmit a small amount of data bacak and forth.

If you dont use the WEATHER, NEWS, etc apps on it.. you wont use any data from them.

If you are not using anything like the camera's, etc.. those may use a little.  If you were accessing remotely the cameras, ALOT of the day to look at stuff, etc.. i am sure it would use up data.

I used to have the WEATHER app as my screensaver on it.. and notices NO difference on my monthly usage. (i mean, i am sure it must have used some.. but its not like i was going from the say 500mb a day at that time, to 800 or something..)

If you were on the LIGHT package.. maybe would need to upgrade

Just like if you were to call rogers to cancel any of their services.. the other security company, is going to try and do anything to make you NOT go to the other guy Smiley Tongue

Personaly, i beleive you would be fine.

I've Been Around

Just wondering. Is the system a Simon XTi system?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are many components to the system.

The sensors, at least the ones i have, are SMC and Seimens.. and are bluetooth if i am correct.

The touchpad, the older one (the one i have) is a SMC.  I am not sure what the new touchpad is (they dont really advertise the hardware specifics)

I Plan to Stick Around

Got a question about when the monitoring centre calls to see if it's a false alarm or not.

How does the number display on your phone? I will be using cell phones as my call back but if I don't recognise the number I don't usually answer. If I'm home and they call, ok I'll answer because I'll be expecting the call. But if I'm out and the call comes to my cell and it just appears as a random # I would probably just let it go to vm not realising it was them.

If it doesn't display as "rogers" or something but is always the same # I can add it to my phone and call it "Monitoring Center" but if the # could change then I may have a problem.

Thoughts?

Just a guy.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I only had them call once.. but it came in on the same number that you call out to...
So i would guess you could put that one in to your contact list, so it would show up then.

I've Been Here Awhile

Did you have to get them to come and install the light switches for you or can you do it yourself?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They have to apparently Smiley Sad.
Things like that I think should be fully user set up able... But I guess they just want everything working right.

As long as the hardware you buy is over $100, those additional visits are free

I've Been Around

"One big thing that rogers pushes with this, compared to most security systems, is that it has dual connections. Its primary connection out, is via your internet connection. Its also has a backup, that if this is severed or not working, that it will go out via the celular network"

If the Cellular network is down and the cable gets cut like q phone wire is then what?

Also, to confirm, when the up dates are happening the system is off? While I have it on it will not do one? And if it does do an update while the system is armed is my house still protected?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, yes you are buggered at that point.. as much as ANY system is, when all communication points are cut off.

Now, the system will still WORK. (as far as my understanding is), at least in the fact of arming/disarming.. it just doesnt report this, nor can you do any remote communcations with it (from the webpage, app, etc).

As far as i can tell.. the updates are only when the system is OFF.
The only one that i have ever personaly seen... was after someone here has mentioned an update.. i said i hadnt seen it, guessed it was over the last night, etc... but when i got home, unarmed the system, i THEN got the update after that.

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM