Roger's no longer including NHL game Center

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Roger's no longer including NHL game Center

Yeah, it sucks that the free gamecenter is gone, but people should realize it actually did cost something before.  I've had Center Ice/gamecenter for the last 12 years so when it switched to Rogers and they offered it for free I knew it would just be a promotion for a little while.  The fact that it lasted 5 years has saved me almost $1000 so I'm not complaining.  Thanks for the free 5 years,

Mark

I've Been Around

Not happy here either. At the end of June this year, I switched 2 phones to Rogers and added another, only BECAUSE  of free Game Center. It was listed as included with the Share Everything Plan on the website and I was told by two different Rogers reps that it was included (I don't blame them, as they wouldn't have known what was going to happen). I had no other reason to leave my other provider.

Luckily I'm NOT on a contract. Bye Bye Rogers!

This is HORRIBLE customer service.

I Plan to Stick Around

With the exception that some customers signed on this summer believing they had GCL. This was confirmed by Rogers reps. It may not be the reps fault but certainly it is the fault of Rogers managment. They should be ashamed for not giving advanced notice.
I've Been Around

That's great an all, but I don't think that businesses should get into the business of offering a service, then diminishing its value over time, or completely taking it away.  If it's an "introductory" offer, then fine - at least we know it's introductory.  I've had Rogers GameCentre Live for free with my phone plan for the last 3-4 years.  Now I don't, because Rogers decided that it didn't want to offer it anymore.  That's removing value from a service.  What's my incentive to re-up with Rogers when my phone plan is up?  You guys, Bell, Fido, Telus, etc. all offer comparable rates and services.  Why should I choose one over the other?  Brand loyalty?  Ease of use?  Special features and offers?  You guys had a leg up that the other guys didn't.  Now you took that away. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fwiw, the CRTC is about to commence a public inquiry into retail sales practices by the various telecommunications service providers.  That starts Oct 22 in Gatineau.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-telco-misleading-aggressive-sales-practices-go-public-1.474923...

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2018/07/canadians-are-invited-to-s...

If you believe that the NHL Center issue falls into the category of a misleading practice, ie, you've agreed to its inclusion and Rogers is unilaterally removing that item from your contract, then, a submission to the CRTC might be in order.  Unfortunately, it looks like the submission date for online submissions has just passed.  That wouldn't stop me from mailing a complaint to the CRTC. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-246.htm?_ga=2.83857876.375610734.1537127461-811121299.15371...

With or without the upcoming hearings into the retail sales practices of the various providers, you can still send a complaint to the CRTC. 

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/

It may be worth keeping an eye on the proceedings to see what comes up.  The CRTC has been directed to finalize its report, by no later than 28 February 2019.

I've Been Around

Ok so let me see if I can sum this up Rogers. You give people free access to NHL streams on your share everything plans for years, for a long enough time in fact that they really just take for granted that they're not going to have to worry about paying for access to NHL games. Presumably you figured people would miss it so much that they'd start paying the $200+ to buy it separately, but that's not really how things work in the digital age. People don't go from paying nothing for a service to paying a considerable amount, that's backwards. Now people are just going to steal the stream from the many, many places online that make it quick and convenient to do so. Not only that but now share everything plan subscribers are upset that you quietly removed this service without telling anyone so are incentivized to cancel their plans and tell everyone they know, who maybe have been paying to watch the NHL in one form or another, how easy it is to steal it. Lets not forget that Rogers owns the rights to NHL games broadcast in Canada, it cost them nothing to keep letting share everything subscribers watch for free but could very well cost them quite a bit cancelling it in this sneaky, underhanded way.  For anyone who doesn't know how easy it is to watch NHL games for free read this post one more time, I guarantee you'll figure it out after you've *cough* read it again.

I've Been Around

I have a share everything plan. The NHL Live has always come free with ShareEverything.  Is this not true for the 2018-19 Season?

I've Been Around

This is the worst business decision Rogers could have made Smiley Sad If you don't understand and support your core customer demographics then they won't understand or support you. We are Canadians that love our hockey! I agree with the comments on this thread, if you are not giving your loyal Rogers customers the ability to access the NHL app for free anymore then you should at least be transparent and make an announcement, perhaps offer us a discount! It is very easy to head over to www.snnow.ca or use PIK tv from Telus, or Shaw's Bluesky.. Rogers you really let us down this time. 

I'm Here A Lot

No 25% off offer to this longtime Rogers customer.  If anyone has a 25% off code that they don't plan to use, could I please have it?

I Plan to Stick Around

They announced about a week ago. Way too late and some here signed new contracts this summer based on having GCL. The reps didn't even know. Terrible, terrible PR. 69 messages so far by far most are leaving Rogers never mind the countless numbers who are not messaging.