NHL.com performance issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: NHL.com performance issues

Games played on a PC seem to buffer every minute or so . 

Does not do this on my roku

PC is on a 5G wifi connection.

Roku is wired.

I'm a Senior Contributor

I found my experience this evening to be very interesting. I started watching the Leafs/Blues game on NHL Live. Initially, the picture was very good, at least until the stuttering, pausing, and buffering started to kick in. I was watching the game through my laptop and cast to Chromecast. The constant interruptions were very frustrating. Then, low and behold, I noticed the same game was the Yahoo free game of the night. I stopped the NHL Live broadcast and switched to the Yahoo broadcast (also cast to Chromecast) and what do you know? I got a superior picture with no buffering, pausing, or stuttering. How is it that Rogers and the NHL cannot get this right while Yahoo can?  It makes no sense that the so-called experts in providing a TV hockey broadcast can somehow not ever get this right? 

I've Been Here Awhile

I too have the same issue. I am using the updated NHL app on Apple TV 4. The Apple TV is wired to the modem via Ethernet.  According to various speed tests the bandwidth is huge and more than ample at around 70Mbps!  So, what do I get?  Well, much the same as everyone else here.  All live broadcasts seem to change their resolution at random dropping out of full 1080p into much less quality. Also, many times the video freezes and th audio keeps going.

very upset that this has not been resolved!  This is a lot of money spent on the subscription and it is very poor video quality. 

Some direction here here beyond the typical troubleshooting steps of rebooting and all that is needed,even since my bandwidth is far more than what is needed.

NHL is no doubt a money making product for Rogers however if the video quality issues are not fixed, then I suspect that customers will not renew the subscriptions and find games elsewhere where quality seems to be reported as far superior,

I've Been Around

I’m watching it right now, and I’ve just about had it with the choppy feed! I have tested my internet speed at 135 mb and I can stream on any of the free sights from England, but nhl.com is choppy and I won’t tolerate this much longer , not to mention them playing the same commercial 5 straight times non stop to drive you up the wall , what century do we live in that we can’t stream from a legitimate sight with out having to put up with this!

I'm a Senior Contributor

@unichi

As I have said almost a million times, if I had to pay for this lousy service, it would have have been cancelled long before this year. Since my 2-year deal with Game Centre Live included expires next fall, there is not a chance that I will have this pathetic service for the 2018-19 NHL season.

I've Been Around

Same issues for me on my new Apple TV. Supposed to be 1080p. Cable is much better at 1080i. Works fine on iphone, awful on pc and chromecast.
I've Been Here Awhile

Ever since I purchased the full season package, whenever I watch a game it randomly skips back 15-30 seconds. This happens multiple times during a live game feed which I stream at home. I have even upgraded my internet to fibre and this still happens, which is getting pretty frustrating. Can this problem be resolved?

Hello, @Simmerr

Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Community. It's surely not a pleasant experience when a game skips randomly for a few seconds. We can surely diagnose the issue for you, is the skipping happening on all the devices?

Please provide more details about the devices and whether you are streaming on a wired Internet connection or using a WiFi connection etc. More details can help us isolate the issue. 

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey RogersMoin,

For sure. I watch the games through the app I downloaded on my PS4 and I stream via Wifi. My router is within 10 feet.

Hello, @Simmerr

Thank you for the information about the device and the type of connection. I tried replicating the issue you have described, however, I was not successful. 

Have you noticed the skipping on any other device? Does your PS4 supports 5 GHz band for WiFi? If you can switch to the 5 GHz network it can help alleviate the skipping as there is a minimal interference on the 5 GHz band. 

Since the PS4 is close to your router, I suggest trying the Ethernet connection if the PS4 doesn't support the

5 GHz.

Cheers,

RogersMoin