Blackouts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Blackouts

If you are a Bruins fan (not Sabres), I don't know if this is gonna be worth the hassle for you to try and get 'fixed' - there is a glitch. After ALOT of calling, I was able to convince Tier Two support that there was a problem. The problem is that because of the licensing/setup, there is not really any easy way for Rogers tech support to liase with the NHL Gamecenter people that actually support the software.

I believe what they eventually did was to change/force where I connect to Rogers. so that now my IP address reads as Toronto-based rather than Kitchener/Waterloo.  This is really a work-around rather than a true fix ... but it works. The fact is, the Sabres in-market region is within of a 50 mile radius of downtown Buffalo (ie Harborcenter) so we should not be considered in-market. However, the new implementation of the agreement with Bell regarding providing free Buffalo Sabres coverage to its subscribers in SW Ontario has some IP look-up glitches resulting in issues. 

I Plan to Stick Around

i live outside of ottawa, I do not have tv, everything in the house is streamed.  The televised sens games are blacked out for us and the televised habs games in montreal are also blacked out  , i can understnd the ottawa games but why are the habs games in montreal also blacked out?

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@johnbent

Do you live east or west of Ottawa? I think the area to the east of the city falls under the blackout area for the Habs.

EDIT: I checked the blackout availability for eastern Ontario and confirmed this. You can get all the national Habs/Sens games, their national games against other teams and any out of market games with other teams. But unless you have the necessary TV package any of the regional games won't be available.

I've Been Here Awhile

I live in southwestern Ontario and since the switch to the new game centre almost every game is blacked out.

I don't have any VPN or DNS wizardry going on.  Last night, I was only able to see Washington and Florida, every other game I tried was blacked out.  Tonight, Montreal and Buffalo is blacked out and it shouldn't be.

What is going on?

I get the same behaviour on my desktop, Roku, and PS3.  Trying to get browser working first and I login at the new URL https://www.nhl.com/login/rogers

Some games work so video plugin is good, bandwidth is good, etc.  Just most games are blacked out.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am in west Ottawa in Kanata a couple blocks from where the sens play. I. CAn see the Habs/sabers game tonight fine. But I don't think any games should be blocked especially the ones from cities 3 hours away.
I've Been Here Awhile

Same here.  Everything last night was blocked out except Washington as well.  We're supposed to have access to all out of market games and we don't have access to anything.  It's ridiculous.

I Plan to Stick Around

My only work around that I use, as a rogers customer, is to turn my WiFi off, connect to GCL, pick my blacked out game which I can watch as a rogers customer, get it started then turn my WiFi back on. Works perfectly.
I Plan to Stick Around

You turn the wifi on your router off, then turn game on a wired device such as laptop then turn the wifi back on? Didn't make sense to me that it would work. But I am game to try anything to watch the blacked out games.
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in Ottawa as well and I am a Rogers TV customer with the sports package. I can view the games in GCL fine on my laptop but my ipad insists that the habs and ottawa games are blacked out for me. There is an issue with how the ipad app authenticates the Rogers credentials and tv subscription. It seems like the ipad location feature is overriding the tv subscription authentication. Anyone have any ideas? The only reason I have Rogers TV is so that I would not have blackouts on my ipad and appleTV. This worked fine until the updates of Feb 1st.

I've Been Here Awhile

Since the update I am having many issues.  I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area and almost every game was blacked out for me on Tuesday night - New York/New Jersey, The Wild/Islanders.....  I also couldn't choose the home feed for the game I watched.  This is a reason I subscribe, to get the local feed.

I am very unhappy with GCL and if this continues, I see no reason to subscribe next year.  I have paid for this the last several years and the service is getting worse instead of improving.

Calling Rogers is absolutely useless.  I just spend time getting no where at all.