Blackouts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Blackouts

@kanatablues

Okay to confirm,

You were watching the game on Centre Ice via the SuperSport Pak?

Or via Rogers GameCentre LIVE via a internet connected device or platform?

RogersDarrell

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

He did mention earlier he was watching via Centre Ice. If that is the case that would explain the blackout because the link he provided says the games won't be on Centre Ice anymore but carried by BELL in southwestern Ontario.

He should still be able to watch it via GameCenter Live though. Buffalo wouldn't be considered in-market up here, even if BELL has the broadcasting rights.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry for the confusion I created by equating the too. Yes, it was through Rogers GameCentre LIVE and the problem occurred on both my Apple TV and computer. I had no problems last year nor the first few games.

I was hoping that this might be a Bell/Rogers glitch that could be fixed/investigated through official channels.

I Plan to Stick Around

I still have a problem with being blacked out, the customer support on this is has been very bad. 

After so much time and effort, all that I have established is that yes, Buffalo Sabres games should not be blacked out here in Kitchener.

The only NHL GameCentre support links available point to General Rogers support, which is only capable of dealing with password issues - as a result, each attempt to get any help is a lenthy process.

First, a long explanation of issues and transfer to an agent 'qualified' todeal with GameCentre problems. Following that is 15-20 minutes explaining the issues, in which it is apparent I am far more versed in blackout issues than the agent. One inexperienced agent talked with her supervisor, who agreed that I shouldn't have an issue and only suggestion was to reset my ip address. I politely explained that this wasn't the issue, if I do IP lookup my IP correctly shows my city as Kitchener. After I said this, the agent abruptly ended the session.

I 'called back' immediately, went through the same lengthy discussion again, although this time the agent was much more competent. Eventually he said that he could open a case  (#392073249) and that it would be up to 7 days for the problem to be investigated. That was over 3 weeks ago.

I contacted support after ~2 weeks to investigate the status, simply stating that I had an issue with GameCentre, had a case #, and wanted an update. This simple request took 40+ minutes as agents seemed to have no clue what a case # was, to the extent that I am concerned that this is even something that exists or merely a fictitious attempt to make difficult customers/issues go away. (Btw, I did keep logs of each support session).

Eventually I was told that the case is still open and there is no way for me to know what the progress or current situation is, that I would not be contacted during the investigation (peculiar), and that I would be notified only when the issue was closed.

This seems to be a simply software bug, should be trivial to fix, Rogers seems unequipped to deal with complex GameCenter issues, and after alot of effort/imagination, I can't find any other help options. I've tried to email the NHL as well as Buffalo Sasbres, to no effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I Plan to Stick Around

You need to use a VPN service like betternet.
I'm Here A Lot

Would be nice to watch Canuck games in B.C. with the Gamecenter package that i payed for without having every few games blackout..   The FANS should not be forced to buy local TV package if they choose to watch on xbox or laptop.

I Plan to Stick Around

Betternet would work on your laptop.

Search Google for how to do get VPN setup on your Xbox.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@Canuckr

Unfortunately with the way the NHL sells their broadcasting rights you pretty well have to get a TV package to watch any regionally broadcasted agmes. That's the reality of it.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am also frustrated about the Buffalo situation.  I live north of Waterloo, so similar to Kitchener, and last night's Bruins vs Sabres game was blacked out on Game Center Live.  

I have already wasted so much time trying to explain this to Rogers technical support and they just keep saying I must be in the black out area.  I am not near the borders of the Niagara Region so this makes no sense.  I have never had this issue in the 3 years that I have had GCL.  I watch every Bruins game either on GCL or regular TV if they are playing Toronto.

Finally I am told they can't do anything, that the NHL decides the blackouts.  Well, something is not right because I actually pay Rogers and they don't want to help? 

This game was not available on local TV - only on Center Ice - why would I buy that when I have GCL?

I

I Plan to Stick Around

You need to use a VPN service like betternet.