cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackouts

mknycto
I've been here awhile
I am in Toronto. Are there any games blacked out for me other than some Leaf games? For instance if there are games that do not involve the leafs but are available on TVA sports (a channel that I do not subscribe to but is available). Are those considered "in market"?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blackouts

@lockdown2341 That is correct, seeing as @mknycto is in Toronto.

In Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™, the regional (regular season) games are not included with your subscription if viewed within the team’s local broadcast region (also referred to as “in-market”), due to local broadcast agreements. While these games are not included, we’ve made arrangements with certain TV providers to allow their customers to connect their TV subscription within Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE, to lift the blackouts if they already subscribe to the correct channel in their TV package.

Note: Blackout/authentication rules are applied based on where you are accessing the game from, not based on billing address.

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

153 REPLIES 153

RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @mknycto

Welcome to the Community! 

How Blackouts Work,

Blackouts only apply to in-market NHL games. National games and out-of-market games are not subject to blackouts.

• Rogers has included all national games and out-of-market games in Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™. Playoff games are nationally broadcasted and will also be included.

Blackouts are applied based on four criteria:

1. The region where a fan is when they view a live NHL game
  2. The NHL team or teams that are considered in-market for that region
  3. Whether the fan is attempting to view a game involving the in-market team(s) for that region
  4. Whether the game they are attempting to watch is a regional game or a national game

For more information on black out have a look here

I hope this helps, 

RogerAliciaG

mknycto
I've been here awhile
So my question is if TVA Sports are considered national or regionals games

Hi @mknycto

You can find information on this in our Game Availability section located here.  To answer your exact question: 

When the right to an in-market game is owned by Rogers it is broadcasted on TV on Sportsnet. When the right to an in-market game is owned by TSN, RDS, or TVA, the games are broadcasted on those TV channels. I will paste some the information below to give you a better understanding of national brodcasting and regional brodcasting. 

Each NHL team plays 82 regular season games – a portion are broadcasted nationally and a portion are broadcasted regionally

• National games: licensed by the NHL to Rogers to be broadcasted coast-to-coast
  • Regional games: licensed by specific NHL teams to a local broadcast partner in their region to be broadcasted only within the team’s local territory
  • In total there are 1,230 NHL games broadcasted during the NHL regular season and 60 – 105 Stanley Cup Playoff games

National games are broadcasted across Canada so the concept of out-of-market / in-market does not apply to those games. Out-of-market vs. in-market only applies to Regional games.

Outside of a team’s local territory, the right to broadcast Regional games is considered an “Out-of-Market” (OOM) broadcast right

• For example: A Toronto Maple Leaf fan that lives in Vancouver would be considered out-of-market for Leaf games

Within a team’s local territory, the right to broadcast Regional games is considered an “In-Market” broadcast right

• For example: A Toronto Maple Leaf fan that lives in Toronto would be considered in-market for Leaf game

RogersAsif

mknycto
I've been here awhile
So I am in Toronto. Let's say the Flyers are playing the Bruins on TVA Sports. My TV provider is not one of those that are authenticated.As a GCL sub, do I get blacked out? Or is blacking out only pertaining to Leaf games in my area?

All the out of market games should be included in GCL, so you would be able to watch Flyers/Bruins.

The mods can correct me if I'm wrong.

@lockdown2341 That is correct, seeing as @mknycto is in Toronto.

In Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™, the regional (regular season) games are not included with your subscription if viewed within the team’s local broadcast region (also referred to as “in-market”), due to local broadcast agreements. While these games are not included, we’ve made arrangements with certain TV providers to allow their customers to connect their TV subscription within Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE, to lift the blackouts if they already subscribe to the correct channel in their TV package.

Note: Blackout/authentication rules are applied based on where you are accessing the game from, not based on billing address.

RogersAsif

Hi everyone, Just wondering if i live in ontario, and subscribe to the RDS pacakge, would i be able to see the montreal canadiens games? or will they be blacked out because i live in toronto?

Hi @toots27

You can find information regarding game availability above. You can also visit our page here for more information

If you still need help understanding, let us know.

RogersAsif

caboose187
I plan to stick around

Not sure if there is an issue or if I'm not understanding the blackouts properly. Anyway I live in southern Alberta just outside of Calgary and I'm trying to watch the Oilers at Stars game, which is on sports net Oilers. GameCentre tells me to download the sportsnet app, ok. Try to watch the game and it asks who my provider is, which I assume Rogers. After putting in my credentials it says I'm not subscribed to sportsnet Ontario but the game is on sportsnet OL? Is it blacked out or is this another amazing Rogers blunder?

caboose187
I plan to stick around

Just wanted to add, there is no Sportsnet OL to choose from in the Sportsnet app.  It's SNOL.

caboose187
I plan to stick around

Good thing GCL comes with my wireless package. Lol, paying for a useless product that blackouts over half of the games.

Hello @caboose187

View information on game availability here. Do you have Rogers Cable TV services?

Also blackouts exist due to NHL broadcast regulations in order to protect the financial interests of the NHL’s local broadcast partners that purchase the rights to Regional NHL in-market games from individual NHL teams in their local territories

Blackouts only apply to live games, replays are available to all subscribers within 48 hours of the live broadcast

RogersAsif

Dos101
I plan to stick around

Trying to connect my Telus account to Gamecentre, but in the app for both the iPhone and iPad Telus isn't listed (just Videotron), and doing it on a PC through the website it doesn't do anything after I input my Telus account credentials. Can this be fixed please?

Hello, @Dos101

Thank you for your post. I just checked the app on iPhone 6S and I see Videotron and Optik, which should be Telus per support website;

The current list of participating TV providers is:

• Rogers
  • Telus Optik
  • Vidéotron (currently only available for TVA Sports channels)

Ideally when you input your Telus credentials for the blackout game and you are subscribed to that TV channel it should lift off the blackout for you. If it is not happening please contact your provider, thank you.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Yet they advertise watch your team anywhere. False advertising. Garbage company, garbage product, garbage service, garbage support

@Dflash It does indicate when you sign up for the service that blackouts may apply on certain games. Those blackouts are enforced by the NHL, not by ROGERS. GameCenter Live is actually a really good product (at least if you like hockey) but these blackouts are not something that can be avoided.

kanatablues
I plan to stick around

As a long-time Sabres fan and Rogers customer living in Kitchener, ON, I don't understand why the Sabres games are now blacked out in my area. Is  this because Bell broadcasts the games in Southern Ontario? 

The message I see is that the game is not available because it is being broadcast locally - this has just started happening the last week or so. Previously, I had no issues viewing Sabres games. 

I have no issues watching Leafs, Senators, or even Canadiens games on Centre Ice that are also  being broadcast on Rogers TV.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

@kanatablues

Sounds odd. Was this the Sabres vs Lightning game?

Have you checked out the Game Availability/Blackout rules here: https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-game-availability/

Do you have any custom DNS or VPN services running?

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

RogersDarrell

kanatablues
I plan to stick around

I had problems with both the Tampa Bay and Florida games but not any earlier ones - these are away games.

I have no custom VPN or DNS services running, there is nothing I could have done to explain this. Nothing has changed wrt my tv/internet/etc setup.

Yes, I have looked at the blackout rules and for any indication of problems - I have the sports package, which presumably explains why I can get the leafs/sens/canadiens games. The reason I mentioned Bell was the following:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=92852

RogersDarrell

@kanatablues

Okay to confirm,

You were watching the game on Centre Ice via the SuperSport Pak?

Or via Rogers GameCentre LIVE via a internet connected device or platform?

RogersDarrell