wifi hotspot with prepaid addon data plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

wifi hotspot with prepaid addon data plan

Hi,

Can coonect devices but no internet access. Any idea how to fix it?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: wifi hotspot with prepaid addon data plan

Good evening @erictse ,

Welcome on the Community Forums and Thank you for your contribution !

I understand that you purchased a data add-on for your Pay-As-You-Go line and that you wanted to use your cellphone as a hotspot. Unfortunately, using your device as a WI-FI connection will not be functional with Prepaid Data add-ons. 

Additional devices may connect to the hotspot, however it does not allow them to connect to the Internet.

The wireless Internet add-ons for Pay As You Go plans are not compatible with Tethering. 

Although it may work with unlocked devices, it is not officially supported. 

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Good evening @erictse ,

Welcome on the Community Forums and Thank you for your contribution !

I understand that you purchased a data add-on for your Pay-As-You-Go line and that you wanted to use your cellphone as a hotspot. Unfortunately, using your device as a WI-FI connection will not be functional with Prepaid Data add-ons. 

Additional devices may connect to the hotspot, however it does not allow them to connect to the Internet.

The wireless Internet add-ons for Pay As You Go plans are not compatible with Tethering. 

Although it may work with unlocked devices, it is not officially supported. 

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have an unlocked device. I have a Rogers prepaid plan with 1GB of data. If I could activate my Personal Hotspot, I'd be buying data from Rogers faster.

What is the rationale for disabling Personal Hotspot on prepaid plans?
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @RMDEQ,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

I understand you have an unlocked device that you'll eventually want to use with data. Keep in mind to get data to work on a non Rogers device you will need to add the Rogers APN settings, click here for information on adding Rogers APN settings. As for the main reason why the personal hotspot feature is disabled on prepaid plans. Is because of the over usage rates, but mostly to prevent a user from being billed with unpredictable data overage fees. Compared to regular device use the tethering charges can get quite expensive.

Regards,
RogersArthur

Highlighted
I've Been Around

So your protecting me from me. Thanks!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

We got a new smart phone the other day and it allows WiFi tethering so I set it up and was able to connect my tablet to the phone's WiFi but I was not able to connect to the internet with the tablet. I then tried two different WiFi tethering apps and was able to connect to both of those connections but I was still not able to connect to the internet using the tablet. I have the “$30 /month for 1 GB data add-on” from Rogers and can browse the web using the smart phone itself so I'm wondering how I can make the WiFi tethering work? TIA.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersArthur wrote:

Hi @RMDEQ,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

I understand you have an unlocked device that you'll eventually want to use with data. Keep in mind to get data to work on a non Rogers device you will need to add the Rogers APN settings, click here for information on adding Rogers APN settings. As for the main reason why the personal hotspot feature is disabled on prepaid plans. Is because of the over usage rates, but mostly to prevent a user from being billed with unpredictable data overage fees. Compared to regular device use the tethering charges can get quite expensive.

Regards,
RogersArthur

I also have a Rogers prepaid plan and an unlocked smart phone and the 1 GB data add-on but the link in the above post is not working for me. Can someone direct me to the instructions for adding the correct APN settings?

Highlighted

Hello again @Alpine1,

I am sorry to tell you that even if the APN is updated in the settings or your device, it might not enable to tethering feature or the use of your cellphone device as "hotspot".

As indicated in previous posts, this feature is something disabled for most of the prepaid customers with data add-on.

Regarding the APN settings, you can always take a look at this thread.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This inability to use the data I pay for as a hot spot is the reason I will be leaving Rogers service after all these years. I have confirmed that Telus will allow me to use my data as a hot spot...it's my data. I have a sim card I use in the USA from T-mobile and when I add data I am allowed to use it as a hot spot. When I run out of data I get a message on my phone telling me so...in fact I get a warning message before I run out. Rogers could easily do this instead of trying to force me to a monthly plan. Adios Rogers, you blew it.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It was suggested  by someone that Rogers was trying to  save people from overage charges ... if this is prepaid don't they just run out of data  rather than incurring enormous charges like on a post paid account ? 

That would mean  people are trying to protect themselves by using prepaid  and Rogers is making it hard to  use ??