sending text message failure if turn Cellular data OFF with PAYG $180 plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

sending text message failure if turn Cellular data OFF with PAYG $180 plan

I am experiencing this issue:

with $180 PAYG plan, if turn cellular data off, and if the wifi is not available, then it failed to send text message.

I am not sure, if it is true. Can anyone confirm that?

and since I have no data plan, how does rogers charge the data service? as I see some of the data usage happened from notifications from email, calendar and other apps.

that is the the guide to properly setup the cellular data for the phone, in order to avoid unexpected charges?

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: sending text message failure if turn Cellular data OFF with PAYG $180 plan

I'm on the grandfathered "Anytime" plan where I pay $10/mo and have to pay for phone calls or texts. I have cellular data turned off always.  I do send/receive texts (via cellular) when I'm not connected to WiFi, although I try to avoid it since it costs me.  Most times I use iMessages on my iPhone via WiFi because they are "free".

Hope you get this issue resolved.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just curious what kind of phone u have? The original text message SMS standard never used cellular data nor wifi to work. It went thru the cellular network so as long as u have signal (doesnt matter if you have Mad Seeg or Sad Seeg) it should work.

Now theres other message protocols that use data as well as wifi. Apples iMessage, whats app, and Rich Communication Service (RCS). Apple imessage is third party and so is whats app. But googles RCS is an actual standard and more phones are coming with it. If data is off your RCS message will fail but fall back and send as a SMS message thru the cell network instead.

So im not sure whats going on here.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks everyone.

I am using iphone, and I find the solution.

here is the best practice: when wifi is not available, and you have your rogers unlimited Text plan, what you need is :

go to Setting > General > iMessage, and turn it off, so it will switch to old fashioned SMS.

details please see Apple webpage at: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207006

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Glad you found a solution. I'm not quite sure why you have to turn iMessage off, but it may be necessary with your particular package, in the same way you cannot do WiFi calling on (certain/all?) PAYGo plans...  (It's actually greyed out on my iPhone)

Just to be clear, this is great for people who have unlimited texting, which you apparently do?  However, if you ever have to pay for texting, and you have an iPhone communicating with others with iDevices, then the use of iMessages via WiFi is a great way to save money.  I suppose you could always turn iMessage back on for those instances.  Love to see those blue bubbles.  Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, I'm not an iPhone user, but it looks like one limitation for the iMessage app is that there is no fallback policy in place if it fails.  So if you have no cellular data plan and use wifi ,and happen to turn off wi-fi, then the messages will fail,  it also prevents people from iMessaging you if wi-fi is off.  This does suck, but you have to remember, that iMessage is a Third Party messaging solution, not everyone uses it, it's not standardized across everyones phone, and it will never have a proper fallback protocol in place.  You just have to live with toggling on and off the setting you found.  Android's RCS message will prevent this from happening due to it's fallback to SMS if RCS Fails.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:

...So if you have no cellular data plan and use wifi ,and happen to turn off wi-fi, then the messages will fail,  it also prevents people from iMessaging you if wi-fi is off.  

That's not the way it works for me.   I simply use "Messages" on my iPhone. If I'm connected to WiFi and sending to/receiving from an iDevice, my messages automatically show up in blue bubbles and are free.  As soon as I'm no longer on WiFi, my texts are sent/received in green bubbles and I have to pay.  (See the Apple link a few posts up).

If I'm travelling and my iPhone is off, I can wait until I'm connected to WiFi, turn on my iPhone and again don't pay for iMessages. If, however, my phone is on and connected to the cellular network, then I would receive the text (what could have been an iMessage if connected to WiFi) immediately (as a text in green) and have to pay.  It's all automatic depending on how you're connected and whether your texting an iDevice.

I would pay for any texts sent to non-iDevices.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is not how  I was told how it works.  I was told that if someone sends you a iMessage from THEIR phone, then the iMessage is sent off their phone, its in the "queue"  when your phone is not connected to wi-fi, then the message sits in the queue, but even if your phone is connected to cellular network, the message will sit on the queue, as there is NO WAY for the message the other person sent to go back from the queue to their phone and re- send it via SMS platform to you.  So once someone sends an imessage, and it leaves their phone it will never be retracted and re-sent as a cellular sms to you unless their data is off to begin with and it will just send it as a regular sms

I dunno man? all of this to safe a few cents on sms messages? sms is already very affordable to begin with

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hmmm ... I would tend to put more faith in the response of the one that uses an Iphone  than that who has been told how it works on  one .  Smiley Wink   

It all depends on your plan as to how much  texting is going to cost you  and whether it ads up to a significant saving for you .  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally i would trust the advice of someone who used to work in the cellular industry for and not just dealing with customers technical issues but also worked behind the scenes as a network analyst who has first hand experience. Yes that person would be me. And even tho I dont own an iPhone i certainly was trained on it. The person who i was told how it works also happens to be not just a no body off the street but a senior person within the company who has very good knowledge of how it works. Glad it worked out for u in da end.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation