Topping up my Pay as you go phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Topping up my Pay as you go phone

OLDYELLR wrote:

I never heard of being charged to talk to a CSR and have them perform a customer service.

This is Rogers you're talking about right ?   .... Smiley LOL

Here is a quote from the Rogers paygo/ vouchers  page .... "If you don't top up your account before the balance expiry date, any remaining balance in your account will expire and be lost. You will no longer be able to use your phone except for emergency 911 calls. However you can restore your expired balance if you top up within 7 days of the expiry date. 

You may top up through IVR, online or on your device. If you top up through the call centre, a $2 fee will apply." 

Note the two dollar fee and my ten day error ... it is only a 7 day grace period if you happen to miss the payment.

I also see that the $60  card is no longer listed so it looks like the only way to pay the $55.75 in one shot by voucher would be a $100 voucher.

And what they mean  about topping up through the call center is, if you have a CSR do it for you it will cost, if you use the automated line yourself there is no charge.

I have no idea what an IVR is . Smiley Frustrated

OY because you and I are old or at least in a special situation when asking for the hundred dollar balance to be applied back against  an account there seems to be no charge for that.   Smiley LOL

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for bringing the stuff about a fee to my attention.It mustbe something new added in the last year or so. The next time I try to top up on the phone I'll pay close attention to any extra charges and back out if there are any. As for vouchers, I thought they were just for topping up the per/minute plans.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

OLDYELLR wrote:

As for vouchers, I thought they were just for topping up the per/minute plans.

What makes you think otherwise ?  pay/go has other than per minute plans as well . 

I'm a Senior Advisor

The original PayGo, which is what I have, was (is) all about drawing from a balance of calls charged per minute and texts charged per text. The vouchers were sold at Rogers stores and other outlets, such as Walmart, as well, if I recall. I see Walmart still sells top-up cards, but Rogers stores don't and now claim they never did. I guess the help is transient.

When you go to Prepaid now on the Rogers site there are a variety of hybrid plans with unlimited this or that for different odd number of dollar and cents prices and the original even dollar plans you bought with vouchers are hard to find. I guess my question was how do you pay for a $40.75, $55.75 or $70.75 plan with a $40, $50, $60 or $70 voucher that's good for 30 days.  Wouldn't you purchase these plans from Rogers with a credit card instead?

When the original paygo came out they didn't have a $100 for a year plan did they ?

As far as the method of payment ... I guess it all depends on what you are used to and what is convenient for you. The pricing you have posted would certainly seem to be a manipulative attempt to encourage credit card use,  thats for sure.

Just for the sake of curiousity .... if I bought a $20 paygo  card every month for a year and at the end of the year had accrued a balance of $66  ... could I call in and expect to get a free month or two taken out of that balance ?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@barndoor When I first got a Rogers PayGo phone I bought $25 vouchers on line to renew. When my son was couch surfing and looking for a job, I loaned him the phone and loaded it up with $25 for a month on line as needed. The phone was eventually lost and I'd forgotten all about it until Rogers switched to GSM and sent me a new one. I learned about the $100/year vouchers by word-of-mouth from someone at work and started buying them at the Rogers store.  I didn't know I could draw from the accumulated balance to renew until one day I received a letter from Rogers that since I had a balance over $200 I could do that. So next time I needed to renew I asked at the Rogers store and they did it for me through Customer Service.  When Rogers stopped offering that service at the store, I used the PayGo number to get that done. As to your question, I'm sure if you have a $66 balance you could use $20 out of it to renew for another month and then $20 again the next month if you still have enough. But if you're not a heavy user and just need the phone for emergencies, you could stretch it out by just using $10 of the balance to renew for 30 days each time.

I Plan to Stick Around

Smiley SadHi folks..this something that I was wondering..I have been using the Talk and Text 55 for about a year..($55.75)...since you can only buy cards at 10/20 and so on..I have been always buying 3 $20.00 cards to cover the 55 per month plan. I hate it...so now Im going to switch soon to maybe WIND or PC MOBILE and port my number...I dont know.....but in the mean time I will drop to the only plan at Talk and Text 40 so I dont get hammered by telemarketers..(ROGERS!!) and eat up my minutes..so Im covered..I think..incoming calls are allowed unlimited..but what I really want to know is when I buy two $20 cards or $40 if they have them,do I have to buy another say $10 card to cover that  75 CENTS..or does it come out of the initial $40 card????? Thank you..MichaelSmiley Indifferent

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mikeej8 you mean that when you use three $20 cards to renew a $55.75 plan, Rogers keeps the change? Why don't you pay directly on line using a credit card?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Old Yeller...well basically yes..the way I see it...it sits there...they dont make it easy..on a few times I have walked into a Rogers store and gone up to the desk and asked for the 55 Talk and Text,plus the 75 cents (which I will ask in a second) and they print it off like a receipt you get at the grocery store. But I really hate going in there for they make you feel inferior because you are not on a plan..with a credit card...which brings me to your answer..there is nooo way Im giving my credit card  number to anyone,not Bell,not Rogers,not Hydro....too much stuff can go wrong and it does. So let me ask you..Im going to drop down to the Talk and Text 40...($40.75) if you are on there site changeing your Pay as You Go plan.....if I buy the TWO $20 cards or if there is $40 card...does the 75 cents come out of that???? Or do I have to buy a $10 card to cover that 75 cents..cards do not come in $5 amounts...Smiley Indifferent

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mikeej8 I know what you're saying about purchasing PayGo at Rogers stores. I used to do that and ask them to put it on my phone because I didn't trust myself to not mess it up typing in the long number. But the last time I tried, I was told they don't do it anymore and I should call the PayGo number. It's a former Rogers Video store with a lot of empty space and maybe renewing PayGo is not a big money maker compared to the high end cellphone and cable plans.

As for credit cards, if they get hacked, the bank pays. The only inconvenience is waiting for a new one and updating all your Internet vendors. I have friends who can't get a card because of bad credit, but they can use prepaid credit cards. However, those may have a fee attached.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats