Text only plans

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Text only plans

Hey guys,

I get that cell phones are meant for both talk/text/data for the vast majority of people. However, due to circumstances I won't get into, I think I've decided that I'd like a plan where I can just text only. I have a tablet that has a data plan that I could use as a mobile hotspot and having both devices with me won't be a problem. I know I could use 3rd party apps to talk if I really want to, which I doubt I will.

I was looking at the $15 talk/txt prepaid plan... the thing is, I was wondering if I could block incoming calls on it... or does anyone know where I could get a text only plan?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Text only plans

Hey @kevinf2015,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

I can appreciate your inquiry for a text only plan...Unfortunately, we don't currently offer such a plan Smiley Embarassed. However, we do have the ability to restrict incoming calls on post paid plans, I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to do the same on PayGo plans.

I would definitely recommend getting in touch with one of PayGo experts to clarify. You can reach them at 

1 (800) 575-9090.

Monday to Friday: 8 AM– 12 AM (ET)

Saturday: 8 AM – 9 PM (ET)

Sunday: 10 AM– 8PM (ET)

Hope this helps!

RogersCilio

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Don't some phones  have separate answering rings for  incoming calls and texts ?  Could you leave the call alert silent and answer just the text alert .  Then you could get something like the  $120 a year text and unlimited text plan  and it would be even cheaper ... if you could just ignore any calls . 

Another suggestion to try would be to set it up to pay the exact amount needed each month  for the $15 unlimited texting ad on prepaid  plan ....if there is no extra balance in the account  ...no calls . 

Call  the suggested number and press 4 at first menu  ...then 4  again  and then take option  1 at the last menu  to get a real person .

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersCilio wrote:

I would definitely recommend getting in touch with one of PayGo experts to clarify. You can reach them at 

1 (800) 575-9090.

So ... is this considered to be an " urgent matter" ..     That is the only choice on the menu in order to speak to someone at Rogers  ... I double checked and Rogers has still done nothing  about the wording .

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most of the pay as you go stuff.. is generally designed to be 'self sufficient'  for people to do be able to look up and do what they need WITHOUT a person.
(it costs money to staff, and they dont make as much on pay as you go plans.. so less agents to support?)

But at least it used to work.. if you just spam zero (regardless of the messages) eventually it will force you to a live person.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your reply. I hate to say it but whether on postpaid or prepaid what one agent says never ends up bearing true.

I called prepaid first before cancelling by postpaid account - I'm told a case has to be created before my line is transfered to PrePaid it won't happen right away. Call gets disconnected.

I call back, she has me on hold for a few minutes to check and said we can block incoming calls on prepaid but we are forced to block the Wifi calling too. Retention cancels my plan, I get another prepaid agent who finishes up everything -- when I ask to add the block, "oh sorry we don't have that as an option". Double checks with a manager, and it's not available.

Then I was told by said agent that I do have access to LiveChat but when I went to go and chat, it's not available for PayGo.

Dejavu all over again.