Setting up prepaid plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Setting up prepaid plan

I got my son a new phone and finally figured out how to set up the SIM. I am choosing the $120/ year plan, and I am at the screen for payment, but 1. I still don't have a phone number and 2. Why do i need to choose a top up amount if I choose the $120/yr plan? 

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted

Re: Setting up prepaid plan

Hello, @newuser12345

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. Were you able to complete setting up the service? You shall see the option of choosing the number in the next screen and the top up amount is just in case the balance has run out before the year ends. 

I suggest to reach out our Pay As You Go support for any other clarification. Please dial 1-800-575-9090, after confirming the language, Press 4, and then Press 4 again. At the end of the third menu, press 1 to reach an agent quickly.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi 

no. i entered the SIM card number then it wanted me to choose a monthly plan. WITH top up! So nothing has been completed. I don't understand why i need a minimum top up when I am choosing the $120/yr plan.  It has what I need. and I can't move forward on the screen unless I choose a top up!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @newuser12345

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. Were you able to complete setting up the service? You shall see the option of choosing the number in the next screen and the top up amount is just in case the balance has run out before the year ends. 

I suggest to reach out our Pay As You Go support for any other clarification. Please dial 1-800-575-9090, after confirming the language, Press 4, and then Press 4 again. At the end of the third menu, press 1 to reach an agent quickly.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

but it still wants to take a minimum of $10/month? so that means i am acutally paying $240/yr? shouldn't I have the option of NOT renewing in year if that is what i choose?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@newuser12345 wrote:

but it still wants to take a minimum of $10/month? so that means i am acutally paying $240/yr? shouldn't I have the option of NOT renewing in year if that is what i choose?

Did you  notice ... in the fine print it says the " TTaxes are extra " . i assume that means you have to run an extra balance to  pay  the 911 fee.  If not  what in the world are " TTaxes "?

Rather sad ploy ... but they gotta do what they gotta do .  Smiley Wink    I would expect that if you stay within the parameters of the plan  all you would need would be one $10 top up  

Would I be right in guessing that the phone would just not work or drop the call  if it was a long distance call on a plan like this and no balance left  ?

Highlighted

Since no one from Rogers seems to want to address this type of situation  I called in and asked for clarification . 

I just have no words for how little I think of Rogers at the moment .  I called the paygo department . The very polite CSR confirmed that the $.75 cent  911 fee  IS   indeed an extra  in ADDITION to the $120 cost of the plan ! 

Where O where does it say ANYTHING  about that in the marketing propaganda  OTHER than the vague reference to " TTaxes".  Please what does that stand for anyway ???

So ... the plan ACTUALLY and inescapably costs $130  PLUS the regular retail taxes you pay up front. 

The CSR also confirmed that if you make a long distance call with no funds available  it will not complete the call, but you can still make a local call  or text ok.

I did not ask  and can only assume due to Rogers previous methods that if you have a little bit of  money in your  top up account it will likely try to use that up  and  make that  long distance call, subsequently leaving you  with a dropped call AND no money left in your top up account for next month's 911 fee. 

All I can say is  be sure this plan will fit your needs before you say,  I do . Smiley Wink

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@newuser12345, @barndoor I've had Rogers PayGo for years and years, ever since someone gave me a phone for my birthday.  It came with $20 of air time and I would add $25 a month as needed. EventuallyI went to the $100/year renewal and would use the accumulated balance each year to renew whenever it got over $200.

When Rogers went to GSM they replaced my old phone for free with a Nokia 2610 and when that got a bit long in the tooth I bought my current LG-E410B from Rogers. In all that time all I've ever done is add to the balance or draw from the balance when necessary. I only use the phone for calls and texts and occasional data when someone has sent me a text with a picture.

A year or so ago, when that $120/year plan was $100, I switched to it, but immediately regretted it because it carrier no balance, so I switched back to my old plan. Now, when you go to the Rogers site it's extremely difficult to find the original plan and there all those monthly plans that seem to offer "free stuff" but end up costing you more in the long run.  I believe the idea is to steer customers to the high priced smart phones and $100+/month plans.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted

I don't think this thread is about the choice of which  plan is best , so much as   the issue of  lack  of details provided by the offering  company so an informed decision can be made by the consumer. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes. The lack of details includes publicizing the basic $25, $50 or $100 plans.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted

Well  yes ... but I think there is a big  difference in that the lack of details in the case of the OP should be considered borderline criminal because there seems to be a  definite withholding of pertinent information which has caused a financial uncertainty  for that customer and the others that have posted on here with the same issue.

Whereas the company's  lack of publicity and marketing  on the part of the  voucher and "anytime plan" options  would seem to me to be  just poor marketing to that crosssection of the public that may find that particular option appealing and it is pretty much only Rogers that loses because there are other similar options with other companies that lay out the details of their plans in a clearer fashion and even have cheaper minutes,  if Rogers really doesn't want that business.