Pay as you go - Toll fee number beeing charged?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Pay as you go - Toll fee number beeing charged?

Hi all,

I have pay as you go and called yesterday a toll free 877 number. I thought it was toll free and therefore wouldn't be charged for it. But unfortunaty money was deducted from my account. 

Can you tell me why? I'm not from here so I'm not so familiar with all these stuff.

Thanks!

Alina

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pay as you go - Toll fee number beeing charged?

what exactly were you charged?

1-877 numbers are free to call, in the sense of, that there is no LONG DISTANCE charges.. even if the number is for a place on the other side of the country.. there will be no long distance fees.
But, you would still be charged a per/minute rate on your plan, based on what plan you have, for each minute on the call.

(on a plan with x many minutes included.. would subtract that many, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

gd kitty said it correctly, toll free means no domestic long distance charges, but you are still on the hook for local air time rates. think about calling a toll free number as calling your next door neighbour, it still would use your minutes.  On cellular networks, free calls are usually numbers prefixed by * (star or flower)   for example, *TALK would connect you to NewsTalk 1010, *OPP would connect you to Ontario Provincial Police, etc..  *611 would connect you to customer service,  etc.  so these numbers are special and do not charge you air time

I've Been Around

I recently called a toll free number (ironically I was calling Rogers to tell them my home phone was not working) and I was charged long distance fees. ($0.50 per minute) I was informed that it is not considered a 'local call' so there is a difference between 'free' and 'local'.
I Plan to Stick Around

The so called toll free numbers are not free!

Using my Rogers Pay as You Go phone, I called the toll free number of National Bank of Canada - Customer Service to get some information from them.

The call I made appears listed as a local conversation in my Rogers account and I was charged 6 dollars:

11/21/2017 | 23:39 | $6.00 | 1 (888) 483-5628 | Outgoing Call | Local Call

As a conclusionIf you have a Rogers Pay as You Go phone then keep in mind that calling a toll free number is equivalent to making a local call which is quite expensive for this kind of account, at least 0.5 dollars per minute. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Read the previous posts. It's a toll-free number, so no long distance charges. However, with Pay as you Go, you still pay for air time, depending on your plan.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

When you pay 6 dollars for a 12-minute call the notion of "toll free number" does no longer make sense!

Immediately after someone dials a number, listed as toll free, Rogers should send a voice message announcing that local charges still apply, followed by: "If you want to continue press 1, if not then press 2".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bogdanlazar :

You may wish to familiarize yourself with what a toll free number means:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll-free_telephone_number

For the calling party, a call to a toll-free number from a landline is free of charge.

In Canada, toll-free numbers are drawn from the US SMS/800 database. A seven-digit number 310-xxxx (not a true toll-free, but may be called from anywhere in its home area code at local rates from certain, but not all, carriers) is available in Bell Canada and Telus territories. From a landline, these are free. From cell phones, airtime is not covered, but there are no long distance charges.

Canada:

In addition to NANP toll-free numbers, carriers Bell Canada and Telus offer 310- numbers that can be accessed at local-call prices as shared-cost service (free from landlines, incurs local airtime charge from mobiles and local price from payphones). There are a few special mobile-only numbers (like *CAA to call the Canadian Automobile Association) which are free from cell phones.

In addition, some toll-free numbers cannot even be accessed from certain areas. For example, some US toll-free numbers may not be accessed from say Canada or Mexico...

It's basically a "local call" (if available) and you need to pay for your "local call" per your agreement with the cell phone provider.

I Plan to Stick Around

I did not know that before making a call to a toll free number, with a Rogers phone, I have to read carefully Wikipedia to see what charges will apply!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I enjoyed your sarcasm, however, there are lots of differences between the various pre-paid, post-paid and landline telephone plans.  It's up to you to understand those differences. Here's a link I found by typing "Toll Free" into the Rogers search engine on the main Rogers page:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/am-i-charged-for-calls-to-toll-free-numbers

Yes, airtime charges apply to all toll-free numbers called on your wireless phone. Roaming charges apply when roaming in the U.S. or internationally .