Pay As You Go plan changes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Pay As You Go plan changes

57 wrote:

She stated that if I leave my phone off for more than 2-3 days, the texts will "disappear". Well that explains that... I rarely have my phone on and probably haven't seen a text in many months.

Just curious about the way the world works .... does this hold true for any text then  or just ones sent by  Rogers ?  

I'm a Senior Advisor

barndoor wrote:

57 wrote:

She stated that if I leave my phone off for more than 2-3 days, the texts will "disappear". Well that explains that... I rarely have my phone on and probably haven't seen a text in many months.

Just curious about the way the world works .... does this hold true for any text then  or just ones sent by  Rogers ?  

I'd like to know too. I usually delete old texts, especially from Rogers, to avoid clutter.  But I see a service message from Rogers that's over a year old that I missed.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@OLDYELLR ... if the message has made it to your phone  then I expect it will remain until you delete it .  I think the scenario that @57  is presenting is that Rogers has kind of a mailbox  to hold texts in before they are sent to your phone  .. and the suggestion would  seem to be that if your phone is off the texts are only held for three days and  then expire /disappear .  I just wonder if the expiry time period is the same for any text  or service provider , no matter who the sender or the type of text.

I have had messages appear on my phone sent by  someone associated with the phone manufacturer  .... and they seem to disappear when clicked on ....very annoying ....but   not to be confused with a proper text seems like it  should remain on your phone once it is there.   

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't know how often 57 turns his cellphone on, but I only turn mine on when I leave the house. I'm retired. The only messages that disappear are replies to *225 when I check my balance.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I only use my phone typically when travelling. So it could go unused for as long as a month.  It would normally be turned off for this time. 

I never received the text regarding the end of the 10% auto-top up bonus, which was supposedly sent around September/October.  I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

My old (received) texts were still all there from years ago.  I never send texts.

57 wrote:

I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

We didn't either.  I  wonder if you have selected not to have Rogers send you their marketing bs  maybe they won't send you any notifications of important  impending changes to your account .

I Plan to Stick Around

OLDYELLR wrote:

I don't know how often 57 turns his cellphone on, but I only turn mine on when I leave the house. I'm retired. The only messages that disappear are replies to *225 when I check my balance.

The nature of SMS messages (I used to work on the cellular networking end) is that:

1) receiving an SMS is not guaranteed. Just because you (or someone) sends an SMS message does not guarantee that it was received at the other end. I've sent SMS to a few friends and when I never received a reply, I asked them about it. They never received it. I showed it to them that I sent it. They showed me their phone showing it wasn't received (and they did not delete it). Same thing with e-mail. The only guarantee that someone receives your SMS is if you put a receipt on it OR if they reply to it. The same applies to e-mail.

2) SMS unlike e-mail has a certain life timeframe (the exact timeframe depends on the carrier). If the person turns off his/her phone for a certain period, the SMS that is sent will never be received on the phone. One or two days is not sufficient for this to happen. The exact timeframe depends on the carrier as I mentioned but we are generally talking about roughly a few days to a week (or longer) for the SMS to disappear. "Disappear" doesn't mean that it is deleted from your phone. It means that you never receive it on your phone.

You can test this if you have a travel phone or a phone you don't use on a regular basis. Send yourself (or have someone send you) an SMS message while your phone is off or the SIM is removed from the phone. Don't turn on your phone for ~30 days (or when turning it on, make sure that it doesn't access the carrier network by either removing the SIM card or turning on airplane mode and then turning on WiFi) and then when you turn it on and connect back to the carrier, you will see that you will never get that SMS message since it "expired" as SMS have a certain timeframe where it will try to reach the phone before it "gives up". The exact timeframe depends on the carrier but 30 days will be enough for almost all carriers that I'm familiar with... but 7 days might also be enough.

I Plan to Stick Around

57 wrote:

I only use my phone typically when travelling. So it could go unused for as long as a month.  It would normally be turned off for this time. 

I never received the text regarding the end of the 10% auto-top up bonus, which was supposedly sent around September/October.  I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

My old (received) texts were still all there from years ago.  I never send texts.

Please read my previous post on SMS and the timeframe for receiving an SMS. If your phone is off for a certain amount of time (this time is carrier dependent) any SMS sent to you will "expire" and will never reach your phone. So if you turn off your phone and I send you an SMS and you don't turn on your phone for ~30 days, you will not get my SMS when you turn it back on. I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but if your phone isn't on for ~30 days, that is definitely long enough for you to not receive an SMS sent 30 days ago. 

Next time you decide to turn off your phone for ~30 days, you can do the test. Turn off your phone. Have someone send you an SMS. Don't turn on your phone or connect to the carrier network for a certain number of days (this is dependent on the carrier like I mentioned) and when you turn on your phone, you won't get the SMS. Generally the timeframe is over a few days. As mentioned I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but 30 days is more than sufficient to have the SMS "expire" on almost all carriers that I'm familiar with before it reaches your phone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

barndoor wrote:  We didn't either.  I  wonder if you have selected not to have Rogers send you their marketing bs  maybe they won't send you any notifications of important  impending changes to your account .

I do receive some marketing regarding cell phone plans by e-mail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

lmcjipo wrote:

Generally the timeframe is over a few days. As mentioned I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but 30 days is more than sufficient to have the SMS "expire" on almost all carriers that I'm familiar with before it reaches your phone.

Earlier in this thread I indicated that the time frame for "expiration" seems to be about 2-3 days, per my conversation with the CSR...

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats