cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go plan changes

quickpick
I plan to stick around

I have 2 pay as you go phone. No too long ago, I updated one of my phone plan to 'By the minute - All day talk'.
Now, I want to switch the other one to this plan also. But I no longer seeing this plan.

Does rogers remove this plan?

***Added Labels***

86 REPLIES 86

Re: Pay As You Go plan changes

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I don't know how often 57 turns his cellphone on, but I only turn mine on when I leave the house. I'm retired. The only messages that disappear are replies to *225 when I check my balance.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I only use my phone typically when travelling. So it could go unused for as long as a month.  It would normally be turned off for this time. 

I never received the text regarding the end of the 10% auto-top up bonus, which was supposedly sent around September/October.  I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

My old (received) texts were still all there from years ago.  I never send texts.

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@57 wrote:

I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

We didn't either.  I  wonder if you have selected not to have Rogers send you their marketing bs  maybe they won't send you any notifications of important  impending changes to your account .

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I don't know how often 57 turns his cellphone on, but I only turn mine on when I leave the house. I'm retired. The only messages that disappear are replies to *225 when I check my balance.

The nature of SMS messages (I used to work on the cellular networking end) is that:

1) receiving an SMS is not guaranteed. Just because you (or someone) sends an SMS message does not guarantee that it was received at the other end. I've sent SMS to a few friends and when I never received a reply, I asked them about it. They never received it. I showed it to them that I sent it. They showed me their phone showing it wasn't received (and they did not delete it). Same thing with e-mail. The only guarantee that someone receives your SMS is if you put a receipt on it OR if they reply to it. The same applies to e-mail.

2) SMS unlike e-mail has a certain life timeframe (the exact timeframe depends on the carrier). If the person turns off his/her phone for a certain period, the SMS that is sent will never be received on the phone. One or two days is not sufficient for this to happen. The exact timeframe depends on the carrier as I mentioned but we are generally talking about roughly a few days to a week (or longer) for the SMS to disappear. "Disappear" doesn't mean that it is deleted from your phone. It means that you never receive it on your phone.

You can test this if you have a travel phone or a phone you don't use on a regular basis. Send yourself (or have someone send you) an SMS message while your phone is off or the SIM is removed from the phone. Don't turn on your phone for ~30 days (or when turning it on, make sure that it doesn't access the carrier network by either removing the SIM card or turning on airplane mode and then turning on WiFi) and then when you turn it on and connect back to the carrier, you will see that you will never get that SMS message since it "expired" as SMS have a certain timeframe where it will try to reach the phone before it "gives up". The exact timeframe depends on the carrier but 30 days will be enough for almost all carriers that I'm familiar with... but 7 days might also be enough.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

I only use my phone typically when travelling. So it could go unused for as long as a month.  It would normally be turned off for this time. 

I never received the text regarding the end of the 10% auto-top up bonus, which was supposedly sent around September/October.  I also didn't receive the recent two abut $150 Max at end of 2018 and "March 2018 migration"

My old (received) texts were still all there from years ago.  I never send texts.

Please read my previous post on SMS and the timeframe for receiving an SMS. If your phone is off for a certain amount of time (this time is carrier dependent) any SMS sent to you will "expire" and will never reach your phone. So if you turn off your phone and I send you an SMS and you don't turn on your phone for ~30 days, you will not get my SMS when you turn it back on. I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but if your phone isn't on for ~30 days, that is definitely long enough for you to not receive an SMS sent 30 days ago. 

Next time you decide to turn off your phone for ~30 days, you can do the test. Turn off your phone. Have someone send you an SMS. Don't turn on your phone or connect to the carrier network for a certain number of days (this is dependent on the carrier like I mentioned) and when you turn on your phone, you won't get the SMS. Generally the timeframe is over a few days. As mentioned I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but 30 days is more than sufficient to have the SMS "expire" on almost all carriers that I'm familiar with before it reaches your phone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

barndoor wrote:  We didn't either.  I  wonder if you have selected not to have Rogers send you their marketing bs  maybe they won't send you any notifications of important  impending changes to your account .

I do receive some marketing regarding cell phone plans by e-mail.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lmcjipo wrote:

Generally the timeframe is over a few days. As mentioned I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but 30 days is more than sufficient to have the SMS "expire" on almost all carriers that I'm familiar with before it reaches your phone.

Earlier in this thread I indicated that the time frame for "expiration" seems to be about 2-3 days, per my conversation with the CSR...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor  Changes to plans notifications aren't exactly "marketing". It's essential information the customer should have.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Confirmation in a new thread specific to how long the text remains on the Rogers side if your phone is off by @barndoor, responded by @RogersTony - Tony confirms that it is 72 hours that your text remains on the Rogers servers before it is deleted if your phone is off or cannot receive the text.

I would imagine that a lot of people who use their phones for emergency on an infrequent basis (say like a trip), may never get any of these notices.

Anyone who doesn't get the notice is legitimately in a position to negotiate the change as they have not been notified and as in a recent post, a person who went the media route got a very good change.

At worst, if you phone in when a change shows up and you didn't get the notice, you could request at a minimum that you this information is now your notice and try to negotiate something - they may just say ok we implement under the wireless code notification requirements of change, you can accept the change or cancel, but most of these phone plan holders have been around a long time, I would hope that a fair solution could be made.

But key on this issue of deletion is that after 72 hours and your phone unavailable to remove the text, the message is gone, so knowing this if you are told all customers were sent the message, you can refer to the forum information that you did not get the message.

And knowledge through the forum is not official notification to a customer by the way.

This is certainly turning into a poorly thought out change.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

You nailed it @BS Being retired, I can easily go a week without leaving my house, therefore would have no need to turn my cellphone on because I have a landline. So it's just a fluke I received that text about the $150 PayGo balance cap going in at the end of this year. But the more important information about my original PayGo plan being migrated to a $10/month talk/text plan in March if I don't call to have it grandfathered, I did not receive. I only read about it on this forum. Such important time sensitive notifications should not expire in 72 hours if you don't turn your phone on.

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor  Changes to plans notifications aren't exactly "marketing". It's essential information the customer should have.

Absolutely  .... from a customer standpoint I agree 100% ... but from the sales departments point of view I'm not sure what to expect .  Smiley LOL

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

@lmcjipo wrote:

Generally the timeframe is over a few days. As mentioned I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Rogers but 30 days is more than sufficient to have the SMS "expire" on almost all carriers that I'm familiar with before it reaches your phone.

Earlier in this thread I indicated that the time frame for "expiration" seems to be about 2-3 days, per my conversation with the CSR...

Thanks for the information. As mentioned in my earlier post, I wasn't sure what the timeframe is for Rogers BUT since I worked in the cellular network side of things about 10 years ago, I was mainly pointing out that SMS messages expire if they don't reach the phone and this value is carrier specific. I have travel SIMs which I use when I travel as well as a prepaid US SIM and these SIMs aren't in any phones or being used while I'm in Canada. Similarly, I'm sure there are plenty of prepaid Rogers customers who don't turn on their Rogers prepaid phones for a few days/weeks/months and don't get the Rogers notification SMS that Rogers routinely sends out.

BU26
I've been around

I'm a "pay as you go" user and I paid $120 last year, my year is expiring next month and now the cost has gone up to $180. 

I have used the service for many years and I feel the cost should not have been increased substantially. Could you offer a solution?  Perhaps you should consider giving a senior's discount where possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BU26 : Please advise us on which plan you are currently?  Also, please advise what you mainly do with your phone (how much you talk, text, etc)?  There are many different plans now available for as little as $10/mo.

https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/plans?cm_sp=wireless-_-pay_as_you_go-_-plans_ba...

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@BU26 wrote:

I'm a "pay as you go" user and I paid $120 last year, my year is expiring next month and now the cost has gone up to $180. 

I have used the service for many years and I feel the cost should not have been increased substantially. Could you offer a solution?  Perhaps you should consider giving a senior's discount where possible.

It looks like the plan you have is the "Unlimited Pay As You GoTM plan" you see it on the right when you got to Shop, Wireless, Prepaid, Plans.  A couple of years ago this plan (or a variation of it) was $100 and I switched to it from my basic $100/year talk anytime plan using $100 from my balance.  As soon as I did that I realized this plan did not run a balance and would cost me $100/year no matter what, whereas previously I used a lot less than $50 worth of air time a year, the balance rolled over, and once I had a balance well over $100 I could use the $100 to renew for another year. So I called right back and asked to be switched back to my original plan.  I guess I dodged the bullet, because subsequently that "Unlimited" plan jumped to $120 and now you see it has jumped to $180.  That's a huge jump over a couple of years, so I'm guessing customers were getting more value out of the plan than Rogers wanted to give.

So what to do? Even if you originally started out with the basic talk anytime plan that runs a balance, I doubt Rogers would grandfather you back to it this late in the game because they don't sell that plan anymore.  But depending on how much you use your phone, you may want to switch to the $10/month, which is less that $180 a year.

barndoor

@BU26 wrote:

I have used the service for many years and I feel the cost should not have been increased substantially. Could you offer a solution? 

As much as I hate to say it  ... it still seems to be  competitively priced for what you get even with the price increase.  .  As has been said above  ...it all hinges on the way you use your phone as to whether there is a better deal out there ,be it with Rogers or a competitor. 

Is there a third party service out there  that would help people sort through this  type of issue.... With what I have experienced and we have read in the press lately I certainly would not trust Rogers to be making suggestions  as to which plan would be most cost effective   for you even though I expect they have all the info needed to do just that very easily . 

Erin046
I've been around

I received a text said”Rogers service msg: REMINDER - Starting on August 10, 2018 and each month after that, your monthly top up will go towards our $10 Talk & Text plan that will give you 50 anytime local minutes and 50 text messages instead of being charged for every minute or text you use. For more details about the plan see rogers.com/payasyougo . To go back to what you currently have or to cancel your prepaid service, reach us at *611 or 1 800 575-9090”

But I do not want the $10 talk & text. I’ve made a call but still not able to cancel the plan. How can I cancel it and go back to my current $10 data plan?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Erin046 : As discussed earlier in this thread, to which your post was probably moved, you'll need to call Rogers' PAYGo number and talk to an agent and request that you stay on your current grandfathered plan.  I'm assuming you're currently on the old "Anytime" plan which costs $10/mo and the balance rolls over each month. Please note the other changes discussed earlier in this thread.

See my post from early in this thread - link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Pay-As-You-Go-plan-changes/m-p/413623#M2018

You've already got the correct number to call 1-800-575-9090, choose option 4, then option 4, then option 1.  I have found the agents there quite helpful.

jillssmith
I've been here awhile

Pay as you go update...shouldn't I only pay the difference??

If my son was on the 20$ pay as you go, and I upgrade it to the 30$ pay as you go...should my account get billed both $20 + $30 for the month? 

Should it not just be the $20 that I already paid, plus the difference between the 2 plans?

I feel ripped off having done an upgrade, and being charged twice.

08/10/2018 11:34 $30.00 $30 Talk, Text & Data plan
08/10/2018 11:34 $30.00 Recharge card

08/10/2018 11:34 $0.00 Adjustment
08/10/2018 08:22 $20.00 $20 Talk & Text plan
08/10/2018 08:22 $20.00 Recharge card

jillssmith
I've been here awhile
That was not my question..I had the $20 talk and text plan...and went to the $30 talk/text/data plan...in switching, considering I paid for this month...should I not only be charged $10 (20 already paid, plus the difference) or $50 (20+30)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, I would have thought that you'd be billed either $10 for the month difference, or perhaps $30 for the new plan with a $20 credit for the old plan, with $30 being charged each subsequent month.

Call the number outlined in post 81 of this thread above. They should be able to advise and straighten this out for you.

Topic Stats