cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go plan changes

quickpick
I plan to stick around

I have 2 pay as you go phone. No too long ago, I updated one of my phone plan to 'By the minute - All day talk'.
Now, I want to switch the other one to this plan also. But I no longer seeing this plan.

Does rogers remove this plan?

***Added Labels***

86 REPLIES 86

Re: Pay As You Go plan changes

michael9
I plan to stick around

Hey People,

Would be great if we all read the online posts and leave it at that rather than posting personal comments in regards  to the new rules of the Pay as you Go.    Unless we have some NEW details other than what has already been shared in the Rogers Community as it doesn't help the community viewers in this regards and it will avoid us registered members of receiving emails of what has already been thoroughly explained here in the community blog.

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor I received no notification from Rogers that my plan would be migrated in March, just read about it here, ....

That is my point ...  what about all those customers  that, at this point look like they won't be informed of the change .

just how would you feel @OLDYELLR  if you hadn't  seen that info here  and your account, that you have lauded so many times on here, was changed  with out your input ?  How many of those customers  are older and either don't have time or the knowledge to access this forum . 

No ... I'm not calling until  I get notice  through the same means as any other customer ...and if I don't  or if I do but the phone lines are SO busy that I can't get through in a timely fashion , I'll be  fine with dropping Rogers for a competitor  .

barndoor

@michael9 wrote:

Hey People,

Would be great if we all read the online posts and leave it at that rather than posting personal comments in regards  to the new rules of the Pay as you Go.   

If you don't like getting  emails  when some one participates  here and expresses an opinion on a thread ... why don't you go in to your settings and  select to  stop them ... is people expressing their opinions on what is going on not how we learn  and what this place is all about  ??

My only reason for going with Pay as You go was to avoid getting a heart attack every month with whatever hidden BS the phone company tries to ding me with and for quite some time things were good. But for a while now I've had the distinct feeling of being gouged, I'm not getting the savings that the plan I'm on is supposed to give me, I'm being charged for unanswered calls, long distance rates for local calls, watching my minutes disappear with no reason and I just don't feel like having to hash it out with customer support every single time I see something fishy anymore. They have my email but the only messages I get is them constantly trying to get me on a monthly contract, that's not going to happen, so if and when they do try to "migrate my service" to something that will shaft me even more, I will be migrating to the competition.

michael9
I plan to stick around

I do understand the purpose of this blog, however as you seem to have pointed out, it is a place for us to learn or appreciate ones insight on particular situations that arise on the rogers mobile network.  And if the intention of my purposeful post in this regards  didn't appeal to you then I suggest that you can simply do the same as you have suggested I should do.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor

@barndoor wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor I received no notification from Rogers that my plan would be migrated in March, just read about it here, ....

No ... I'm not calling until  I get notice  through the same means as any other customer ...and if I don't  or if I do but the phone lines are SO busy that I can't get through in a timely fashion , I'll be  fine with dropping Rogers for a competitor  .

And if you do not get "official notification", you have grounds for reporting a concern and asking for adequate resolution.  Reading about it on this forum is not official notice to people having their individual services changed.

That is well defined by the CRTC, with the right to escalate and make formal complaint to the CRTC.  At a minimum, if you don't get the notice, and you are left unaware of the implications of the March date so you can make a choice, you have full grounds to request that a resolution be found to rectify the violation (in my opinion), of the regulatory requirements under the wireless code related to notifying customers of the changes of services.

If properly notified, we have the right to try and negotiate, and if the company sticks to what is offered for whatever reason, we have the right to cancel the service under the previous terms.

I personally don't have one of these plans anymore, but I have a friend who knew nothing about this, had not received an email, and is not too happy.  He isn't interested in using social media or the forum - he just called in and as he said, I ignored the request as stated on the bill of going to MyRogers to report my concern, and just called in and pushed the good old fashioned way.  He is stubborn.

By the way, he cancelled, and moved to the gas company version run over the Rogers lines.  He knew he could have stayed and used up his minutes and messages over time, but he just left on principle.

Good luck everyone - and I do really hope that Rogers is going to make the formal message in a permanent assured method and if leaving your phone off means that you won't see the text, then that means you have not been informed.  If they are aware that the message will disappear as some have been told, then they know that this is not a reliable method of ensuring the customer get the notification and be aware fully of the changes and options.

Bruce

P.S. Was looking at the promotional 180.00 yearly plan, and it would meet 80% of how I use my phone in a year, and the one exception of long distance, I have phonego for that, and as for Texts, I communicate daily on Facebook because I know they are there.  I could actually do without a cell phone plan of any type, just a device I can use on WIFI and do like I did in the old days - except now instead of find a payphone, I find a local wifi hotspot.

I keep my cell phone for emergencies, and currently pay 40.00 per month. For what I do with my phone on the network, I could do fine with the 180.00 version and save 25.00 per month.  Maybe Rogers is doing me a favour by making me think further about my options.  Just a good thing from this change from my vantage.

barndoor

@michael9 wrote:

Unless we have some NEW details other than what has already been shared in the Rogers Community as it doesn't help the community viewers in this regards and it will avoid us registered members of receiving emails of what has already been thoroughly explained here in the community blog.

But I don't have any issue with unwanted emails like you seem to have . 

Bring on your personal comments  about the paygo rules is fine with me . Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One item that confuses me is people willing to "shoot themselves in the foot" because something is not the way they wish it to be.  Things change all the time and you certainly have the right to shoot yourself in the foot by going to a more expensive plan, but I found it quite easy to contact the PAYGo CSR and stay on my preferred plan. One five-minute phone call saves me hundreds of dollars.  I have also found the wait for PAYGo to be very short and the CSRs to be very helpful.

I believe you have up to three months to dispute any changes/charges to your bill.  So, if in March, or April you noticed that you were changed to another plan without your OK, you can ask to go back to your original plan.  If you don't check your bills for more than 3 months, then you have provided "tacit approval" to any change/charge.  Even then, Rogers will sometimes accommodate longer time-frames, but don't expect to go a year.

barndoor

@57 wrote:

I believe you have up to three months to dispute any changes/charges to your bill.  So, if in March, or April you noticed that you were changed to another plan without your OK, you can ask to go back to your original plan.  If you don't check your bills for more than 3 months, then you have provided "tacit approval" to any change/charge.  Even then, Rogers will sometimes accommodate longer time-frames, but don't expect to go a year.

So you are saying that paygo doesn't operate like postpaid ?If you change a grandfathered plan  on postpaid there is no going back . I'd like to see  in writing from Rogers paygo that they will indeed change the plan back  before I would count on that.  Smiley Wink

michael9
I plan to stick around
Obviously we have a difference of opinion in regards to a member posting a informed statement opposed to some of the threads that rant and rave about a negative experience which in fact does not give the viewers any details in regards to the original post/thread in helping them of being informed of the new changes for the Pay As you go. Simply said the reason for these type of forums is to give other members informed information from their experience with Rogers personnel or from members who can offer informed feedback from their personal experience with the Rogers Personnel in resolving issues of the original posted thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor wrote:

So you are saying that paygo doesn't operate like postpaid? If you change a grandfathered plan  on postpaid there is no going back. 

If you change the plan, there is no going back. If Rogers change the plan without proper notice and you then notice within three months, then I believe there is "going back".  Granted, I wouldn't count on it either, hence my participation on various forums to be up-to-date on what's happening with TV, Internet, Home Phone, PAYGo, etc.  Almost always better to be pro-active rather than reactive.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@BS wrote:

I keep my cell phone for emergencies, and currently pay 40.00 per month. For what I do with my phone on the network, I could do fine with the 180.00 version and save 25.00 per month.  Maybe Rogers is doing me a favour by making me think further about my options.  Just a good thing from this change from my vantage.

If you're paying $40/month, you're overpaying for an "emergency" phone.

Not sure if it is too late for you but I was on the Pay As You Go plan where for almost all calls, I was charged $0.50/minute and I had a substantially higher balance than the maximum $150 and when I called Rogers Prepaid, they offered me a postpaid plan which was less than your $40/month for unlimited Canada calling and unlimited Canada texting. They told me that this plan was a time sensitive offer. It also wasn't advertised on their website.

The only thing is that you would be switched to postpaid, go through a credit check, and unlike prepaid where your phone will just stop working when your balance is used up, with postpaid, you continue to use your phone. I make sure that I turn off data services on my phone, WiFi is always on, I won't call a non-Canadian phone number, and I won't use my phone to make/receive calls when I travel outside of Canada so I don't see myself exceeding the monthly price plan.

BS
I'm a senior advisor
I thought I would pop in on the discussion of @michael9

In oricipal I have raised the same issues but havre learned over my years on the board that S long as we are polite and not spamming across multiple threads and not too far off topic, the moderators allow some freedom in what you have presented as ranting and repetitive and if it goes to fat a polite reminder shows up or a warning of breach of conditions comes privately.

Topics like this one where there seems to be huge amounts of interpretations and various accounts of variations in grandfathered and conditions of that grandfathering leaf to confusion and frustration.

And as people learn about various applications and information they begin to develop their own solution within the boundaries of what is known already but the coves action wanders we all have different writing styles and layout approaches so it gets hard to follow and people will naturally express their feelings. The moderates start with an attempt to show empathy and understanding if feelings which will naturally encourage that flow of thought.

So yes there are many opinions of how this forum works as you are finding.

Technically this whole discussion is off topic of the thread which happens and can sometimes flow for quite a while as answers and solutions get worked through with no single solution for all.

It belongs in the lounge blog and suggestions topic so I won't moment here again on it and take it to the lounge if so desired by all.

There is actually a move in its infancy to take the most relevant parts of these dynamic discussions to a knowledge base of topics and issues.

If you want to see a long 1.5 year rant search TV navigator. Sorry to bring that up. It is a real sour point for many.

Eventually moderators experts advisors developed summaries of reference documents FAQ docs tutorials and progress statements.

That made it easy to get a quick glance of all known issues.

Also look at beta test threads for internet modems and the lead engineer has kept a summary and status report pinned at the top.

God thoughts overall but this is the culture of this board at the moment.

It is in constant development and change.

Final note. I don't get email notices on any of my threads just the notification icon on my avitar. I also skim all most recent posts which you can. Now open to see the full post and if I need more reference I open the thread.

I control my choice of communications

Plus various mods attempt to teach me how to be more concise and layout terms but at 61 I am a bit of a slow learner and have cognitive learning challenges.

I will consider your points in my future posts as they are valid but maybe we need a rant thread.

Hope in the message of differing views circumstances styles you find your answers.

Back on original topic. How should my friend respond to this change. @57 is correct. He is shooting himself in the foot by just walking which is his choice but he is 72. When his mind is made up he just moves to ranting.

Good night all.

Maybe someone can take all the current known and unclear pieces of information various solutions and summarize it for all. Then ask a mod to consider pinning it and someone take over keeping it up to date this will give you just what.

Anyone, anyone, Bullers day off. ;}

barndoor

@57 wrote:

If Rogers change the plan without proper notice and you then notice within three months, then I believe there is "going back".  

That was not my experience in postpaid  with a grandfathered plan that was no longer marketed  to the public . 

They wouldn't reinstate it so I moved that account  elsewhere.      Maybe the prepaid side of the company is  different .

barndoor

@BS wrote:

if you do not get "official notification", you have grounds for reporting a concern and asking for adequate resolution.  Reading about it on this forum is not official notice to people having their individual services changed.

That is well defined by the CRTC, with the right to escalate and make formal complaint to the CRTC.  At a minimum, if you don't get the notice, and you are left unaware of the implications of the March date so you can make a choice, you have full grounds to request that a resolution be found to rectify the violation (in my opinion), of the regulatory requirements under the wireless code related to notifying customers of the changes of services.

The problem with discussions  about this type of thing is that in my opinion it can send the wrong message to Rogers strategists .  The message I am  trying to get at here is that I would like to be treated fairly and with a certain level of customer service . I have put up with a fair bit in my twenty years with Rogers and the message I want to send is that they either deliver some customer service  or I walk . No longer am I going to follow  Bruce's   protocol and fight to be a customer . Its just not worth it  to me with the availability, service and  prices that the competition is offering . 

In reading the posts  here  there are a goodly number of the longer term participants  here that seem to think it is worth fighting to stay with Rogers .... I just want Rogers to know that like Bruce's friend   ... I'm no longer interested in going out of my way to stay here ...either actually deliver on the customer service  or I leave .  I consider timely notice of changes like the one discussed here to be just that,  customer service . The ball is in your court. Smiley Wink

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

@57 wrote:

So you are saying that paygo doesn't operate like postpaid ?If you change a grandfathered plan  on postpaid there is no going back . I'd like to see  in writing from Rogers paygo that they will indeed change the plan back  before I would count on that.  Smiley Wink

About a year or more ago, when it came time to renew, I asked for a new $100 prepaid plan that was being promoted because it had "free texting" and some other stuff. Then I noticed it carried zero balance and would cost me the full $100 + tax each year. My old plan was cheaper and more in line with how I use my phone. So I called again and the CSR switched me back to my original plan. I've also found that if I forgot to renew and lost service, I could call and renew and get my balance back.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor wrote:

@57 wrote:

About a year or more ago, when it came time to renew, I asked for a new $100 prepaid plan that was being promoted because it had "free texting" and some other stuff. Then I noticed it carried zero balance and would cost me the full $100 + tax each year. My old plan was cheaper and more in line with how I use my phone. So I called again and the CSR switched me back to my original plan. I've also found that if I forgot to renew and lost service, I could call and renew and get my balance back.

I think  of particular note regarding your experience when you switched back  was that the "original plan " that you switched back to  was still  being advertised and sold to the public at the time . It's not available now . 

I hope @57 is indeed correct  and Rogers prepaid will allow people to  readjust their plans back if they miss the migration info but not going to hold my breath . 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

barndoor wrote:

I think  of particular note regarding your experience when you switched back  was that the "original plan " that you switched back to  was still  being advertised and sold to the public at the time . It's not available now . 

I'm not entirely sure is was available to new customers then.  It was hard to find, if at all, on the Rogers site. Definitely not promoted.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

asdfafsdfasdf
I've been here awhile
wrong paygo rates

does anyone else show a different per minute rate in their "current price plan details" on the rogers site under "change my plan" than what they are being charged?

my account shows:

45¢/minute for anytime local calls

Local per minute rate:  45¢

yet i have been charged 50cents per minute since the Talk Anytime Plan $0.50 / min plan came into effect

... what gives

barndoor

@OLDYELLR   ,It was available ,I remember looking up info on the "anytime plan" about 4 months ago, so it was still available then. 

That $100  plan you switched to and then back  was well over a year ago and more like two , because that $100 plan switched to the $120 plan for a while , and has now switched to the $180 plan which seems like it has been around for close to a year. 

barndoor

@57 wrote:

One item that confuses me is people willing to "shoot themselves in the foot" because something is not the way they wish it to be.  Things change all the time and you certainly have the right to shoot yourself in the foot by going to a more expensive plan, but I found it quite easy to contact the PAYGo CSR and stay on my preferred plan. One five-minute phone call saves me hundreds of dollars.  I have also found the wait for PAYGo to be very short and the CSRs to be very helpful.

I assume this is directed at me ...because I seem to be  the only only  one  threatening a self inflicted gunshot here .  

The point of my side of the discussion  here is that there are  people out there  who apparently may get no notice of this up coming change and the consequences and while I understand how well informed you are here ..I can't imagine that there isn't a whole lot of just average people out there that are going to end up being shot in the foot  because of the way this issue is being dealt with .  Maybe it is very easy to retain your old plan if you have the magic phone number combination that is only available  on this forum  .... BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE PROPER NOTICE  THAT IT IS GOING TO BE MIGRATED  SO YOU CAN CALL 

As  far as me shooting myself in the foot  ....that assumes that  staying at Rogers on a higher price plan is my best case scenario  if  I am migrated.   I have my eye on a cheaper plan for me  elsewhere  so I  don't think  shooting myself in the foot is really a good analogy.   Smiley Wink

Topic Stats