cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go - Expiry Date

TFAM
I've been here awhile

I have a question about the balance expiry date on my Pay As You Go account balance. I currently have an account balance of $0 & I don't plan on topping up in the near future (out of town), but I'd like to retain the number for future.

The balance expiry date that shows on my Billing Info online is 9/25/2015 (even though I have no money on the account). Does this mean I will have until 9/25 of this year to Top Up before my number deactivates?

If not, how much of a window do I have before my number deactivates? What would be the most cost-effective way to retain this number...?

Thanks for the help!

***Edited Labels.***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Pay As You Go - Expiry Date

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It depends..

What pay as you go plan do you have on there? If its one that withraws yearly.. then it wouldnt probably withdraw till then.

TFAM
I've been here awhile
I'm not on a monthly plan... I just put in money as necessary. Is that the same as yearly?
I'm also worried about the monthly 0.75 cent emergency service fee. Would it just withdraw a total amount the next time I top up?
Thanks again.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I don't believe your account will disappear if you have a zero balance, unless it's for a number of years. Even then, I expect Rogers ought to try contact you to see if you want to close the account before just giving the number to someone else. I got my original pay/go cellphone before GSM. I loaned it to my son when he was looking for a job and it got lost or stolen. When Rogers switched to GSM, I received a letter that they'll be sending me a new phone. I can't remember how long the account had been inactive, but I still had the same number.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Rioluk
I've been here awhile

I currently have an account balance of $0, and I don't plan on topping up in the near future (out of town), but I'd like to retain the number for future.

So if I do not top up my account, when will I lose my phone number? 6 months? 9 months?

Thanks for the help!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Rioluk  This thread started 5 years ago with exactly the same question. Did you read the replies above?

Unfortunately there have been no answers from @CommunityHelps  All I can tell you is that years ago I loaned my prepaid cellphone to my son who either lost it or had it stolen. I never tried to replace it since I had little need for it, but then a couple of years later I received a letter from  Rogers when they were switching to GSM that I would receive a new phone. It was still the same number.  You probably have to cancel your account to lose your number.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Years ago when there were lots of phone numbers available in Canada, it took quite a while to lose a number, however, these days providers don't have a lot of numbers and you may lose your number after a period of inactivity - say 6 months, but I've read as little as 3 months for some providers.

Which plan are you on?  I'm still on the grandfathered "Anytime" plan, which would be different from todays Talk/Text plans.

I suggest you contact the PAYGo people to get things confirmed (link below) or PM the  @CommunityHelps people.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Can-t-purchase-data-pass/m-p/426891#M22822

Rioluk
I've been here awhile

Thanks, I will PM the @CommunityHelps people.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rioluk : Let us know what you find out.  And which plan you're on.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation