New phone - new SIM card needed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

New phone - new SIM card needed

I've been with Rogers Pay As You Go since 2001. At that time, the package included a Motorola T120 (CDMA) phone that I bought.

In 2005, I was given a Nokia 6100 (GSM) while in Europe and when I got back home, I bought a SIM card, activated it and transfered whatever balance I had to my new phone.

Well after 9 years, I just got a new phone and it takes a microSIM card. My old phone, a Nokia 6100 uses a regular sized SIM card and my account has a balance on it that I want to switch to my new microSIM. No, I do not want to cut my card to fit.

Its been a while and I forgot what the procedure is. I will be heading to my local Rogers store for a microSIM, but could use some hlep for the rest of the "how-to".

Thanks in advance.

***Edited Labels.***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: New phone - new SIM card needed

Hello GlobalRider

When you go to the Rogers store to get the Micro Sim card, ask the rep to activate it on your pay go account. The rep should be able to help you out with activating it on your Pay Go account!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks!

I forgot to ask one other important question.

Is it possible to maintain my old Nokia 6100 with the regular sized SIM card active on my Rogers Pay/Go phone number while my new phone with microSIM has been switched to my present service on the same phone number.

Basically 2 phones on the same phone number.

This way my mom can use the phone as well for emergency use, which is why I bought a cell phone in the first place. I realize with mom using it, my minutes or account balance will get used up as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately no.. its one sim, per phone number, per account/minutes in that way Smiley Sad

You could use the phone no  prob.. but would need a new sim/plan.

Perhaps something like this would suit her though?

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount?asc_icid=prepai...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GlobalRider

Sadly you can not. You can only activate ONE sim card on your account per number.
I Plan to Stick Around

Both who have answered, thanks for your help.

I'll be heading down to the Rogers store after lunch.

Imagine...I got a new phone after 9 years. My girlfriend in Italy bought me my "unlocked" Nokia 6100 nine years ago as a present. Unlocked because I prefer using local SIM cards when I travel which I maintain for 15 Euros per year...none of this monthly silliness we have here.

My new phone is a Samsung ATIV S GT-i8750. I'm on a learning curve with it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GlobalRider

You are welcome!.
Oh that is a nice phone! have fun with it Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks!

I will look into getting a SIM card overseas with a plan that allows some internet surfing. All I need it for is local weather and whatever else I can't think of right now.

Will I be able to install a "mobile" version of Skype on it? And I take it I can do that from my laptop via the micro USB cable to my ATIV S. I'll probably be posting more questions to those in the know, but in the appropriate forum folder down this site.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure about installing via the cable..

But, even if you dont have a data plan itself.. you can always connect it via WIFI and install the apps that way.

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty is right, Skype on a cellular network while roaming probably is not a good idea, regular voice calls might cost less