New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

I highly recommend you make a complaint to the crtc. With enough complaints I'm sure the crtc will implement rules to force rogers to reverse their decision.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/#mobile

Spread the word. We need more complaints.
I've Been Here Awhile

I just received the "New $150 Maximum Balance" message today. I have a balance of $480.82, and will need to top up again in June (5 months from now). As it says, "Refill to roll-over your balance". I (and my wife) have been with Rogers for over 15 years, and I rarely use my cell, and will likely lose $350.00 (plus) to this  ?scheme?.  I have pre-paid for this service annually for myself and my wife, and we (and many others) will each stand to lose a lot with this.  Likely billions of dollars involved worldwide. Unless these funds are refunded, this is misappropriation of funds. We paid for a specific service, and the service was significantly modified unilaterally (to the benefit of Rogers). The media needs to be contacted about this, and a class action suit filed. I would rather give the money to a lawyer who will fight for doing the "right thing". This is just like the prepaid gift card schemes- remeber the "diminishing balance" giftcard lawsuits? Anyway, hopefully Rogers does the right thing with this new "idea" of theirs. Save all of your documentation (we will).

message.jpg

balance.jpg

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I wonder if half the reason  Rogers is doing this  is because  so many people seem to have such high balances ... if they   all were to start phoning in  and paying for a years top up  with that balance .... Rogers would be out a lot of money . 

@We2Kings ....have you ever done that ?  Called in and used $100 of your balance to cover your next year ?  With the balance you have  you would basically have 4 years  of free phone.  Smiley LOL

I Plan to Stick Around

Tranjo wrote:
I highly recommend you make a complaint to the crtc. With enough complaints I'm sure the crtc will implement rules to force rogers to reverse their decision.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/#mobile

Spread the word. We need more complaints.

Your link eventually winds up at http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form so this is what I filled out.

I Plan to Stick Around

barndoor wrote:

I wonder if half the reason  Rogers is doing this  is because  so many people seem to have such high balances ... if they   all were to start phoning in  and paying for a years top up  with that balance .... Rogers would be out a lot of money . 

@We2Kings ....have you ever done that ?  Called in and used $100 of your balance to cover your next year ?  With the balance you have  you would basically have 4 years  of free phone.  Smiley LOL

I don't see how Rogers can have any issues with high balances. It isn't like where I worked where we used to be allowed to carry forward vacation and eventually after working in the same company for over 10 years and me using only 2 weeks of vacation every year when the company started people off at 3 weeks vacation and based on years of service it went up to 4 weeks and eventually 5 weeks, I (as well as quite a lot of other employees) accumulated a large amount of vacation in their "bank". When they left, the company had to pay the vacation.

Now with Rogers, it actually works out better for Rogers to have customers with high balances since it keeps them where they are instead of jumping ship to other prepaid carriers that have more generous plans. As mentioned, this is the only reason I've stuck with Rogers is because of my high balance and the fact that they let everyone know that if you leave or port your number, they will not refund your balance and you lose it. There are a few prepaid carriers that offer free incoming SMS so I don't get charged for spam like I do with Rogers prepaid and then I have to spend my time calling Rogers to try to be reimbursed for the spam messages.

Not only that but if the customer forgets to top up at the expiration date, they lose everything so Rogers wins with that as well.

I don't see any liability with Rogers letting people have high balances. They could cap it at a certain level but the level that they've chosen $150 is ridiculous since this means that in order for a customer to not get shortchanged, he/she must try to get a balance below $50 when he/she tops up $100 for the 365 days.

And Rogers worrying about people using their high balances to make a lot of calls and stress their network? That won't happen when on Pay As You Go, most Rogers prepaid customers are paying $0.50 per minute so speaking for 10 minutes will cost that person $5.00 and speaking for 60 minutes will cost that person $30. You have to remember that Rogers and its sister companies (Fido & Chatr) have people on their postpaid plans with UNLIMITED calling who pay ~$30 for their unlimited calling option... so a Pay As You Go customer calling for 120 minutes will use $60. There is far less chance of someone on Pay As You Go abusing the network than someone on one of the postpaid unlimited calling plans.

I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately, it would not be ~4 years of free phone. It would only be 4 years of access to their network, and charges for air time would be charged above that. So, if they took, say,  $350.00 and extended my network access expiry date to 3.5 years in the future, I still would have to pay for all wireless time i those 3.5 years. Customers pay $100 per year for 1 year of network access and $100 worth of air time. Rogers wants to convert that to only 1 year of network access, without the $100 of air time. Essentially taking your money for nothing. An extended network access expiry date means nothing without the air time dollars. Rogers is taking the service we prepaid for (1 year network access plus $100 of air time) and have unilaterally converted it to only 1 year of network access, without the $100 of air time. Looks like Rogers is now in the business of selling network "access" only.

I Plan to Stick Around

We2Kings wrote:

Unfortunately, it would not be ~4 years of free phone. It would only be 4 years of access to their network, and charges for air time would be charged above that. So, if they took, say,  $350.00 and extended my network access expiry date to 3.5 years in the future, I still would have to pay for all wireless time i those 3.5 years. Customers pay $100 per year for 1 year of network access and $100 worth of air time. Rogers wants to convert that to only 1 year of network access, without the $100 of air time. Essentially taking your money for nothing. An extended network access expiry date means nothing without the air time dollars.

It wouldn't even be ~4 years or 3.5 years since with your balance, after December 31, 2018, your balance will automatically drop down to $150 so if they allowed you to use the $100 of your airtime to extend your expiration, you would only probably extend it for 1 or 2 years using my simple/fast calculations.. Remember that in 1 year and 1 day (December 31, 2018), according to the SMS, any customer who has a balance over $150 will only have a balance of $150... and with that $150, if they allowed it, you would only be able to extend your expiration (minus the $100) by 1 year.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers is taking the service we prepaid for (1 year network access plus $100 of air time) and have unilaterally converted it to only 1 year of network access, without the $100 of air time. Looks like Rogers is now in the business of selling monthly or yearly network "access" only for $10/mo or $100/yr. That is not the service I paid them for....

And yes, you are correct. They will likely take the first $100 for network access only, the second $250 for nothing at all, and leave me with a $150 balance.  Then, I will have to give them $10 each month just to roll-over that $150 and use their network for 30 days or $100 per year to roll over the $150 just to use the network... bloody ripoff...

I've Been Here Awhile

CRTC Complaint Form - 20 minute expiry. Isn't the CRTC in the pocket of Rogers etc? This is like making a complaint to Employment Standards. All they have to say is "If you don't like it- leave".  Contacting the media about this may be better. Better coverage of the problem on the morning/nightl news..

20minexpiry.jpg

I've Been Around

Just call any telecom company with your cell and wait on hold. You can easily burn off $80-$90 worth of balance effortlessly.
Topic Stats