cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

Had my prepaid phone off during the holidays and just turned it on today to receive the following text from Rogers:

Rogers service msg: Starting at the end of 2018, our prepaid services will have a maximum allowed balance of $150. Any balance above $150 will no longer be available as of end of 2018. We will be in touch with more information on how you can use your balance soon, but in the meantime you can continue to use your balance as normal. Questions? http://rogers.com/contactus

What are the options? The option that I think that they will do is to force those high balance users to go to postpaid. Unless they give me the option to get a new phone, there is no way that I would be able to use my balance or reduce it to under $150 before the end of 2018. The only other thing which would reduce my balance is for me to take options/services that I don't need (like data/SMS/addon services) that I don't need for the sake of just reducing my balance.

This seems ridiculous.

***EDITED LABELS***

367 REPLIES 367

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ddtstack wrote:
1. This is illegal
2. Giving people 3 days notice is just the icing on the cake. Pathetic.

1. No it's not. If it were, they couldn't do it.  You may not think it's fair, but it's not illegal.

2. Based on what I read in posts 1, 3, Rogers have given you over a year's notice to the end of 2018.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

@ddtstack wrote:
1. This is illegal
2. Giving people 3 days notice is just the icing on the cake. Pathetic.

1. No it's not. If it were, they couldn't do it.  You may not think it's fair, but it's not illegal.

2. Based on what I read in posts 1, 3, Rogers have given you over a year's notice to the end of 2018.

1) Actually, they and other companies have done illegal things. I'm not saying whether it is legal or not but Bell and Rogers have both been sued and lost so the argument of "if it were illegal, they couldn't do it" doesn't hold water. A lot of big corporations have been sued (insurance companies, banks, airlines, etc.) and lost so the premise "if they do it, it must be legal" doesn't work.

2) True, they are giving slightly over 1 year to get the balance down BUT depending on the balance, it will be next to impossible for some customers to get their balance down to ~$50 in a year's time unless they simply opt for services/add-ins or make/receive calls that they would normally not do. For example, I can take 500MB of data for ~$25/month and opt for an international SMS plan at ~$15/month and make a lot of calls that I would normally not make on my cellphone (ex: when I'm at home where I have a landline phone, call people on my prepaid cellphone which doesn't have the same clarify and sound quality as my landline and have people on the other end say "What did you say?")

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@barndoor wrote:

Looks like Rogers should have charged  more sooner  so people weren't able to build up these  large  balances that have become a liability for them .   Smiley Happy

I haven't seen where you have mentioned  whether you have paid for a year($100)  using your balance.   If Rogers has failed with regard to this situation  I think it was in not informing you years ago that that was an option  so you did not build up this large account balance.  I know I learned about it  from another customer  not Rogers. I remember telling him he was nuts,  why would  Rogers ever do that ...it was like letting the customer double dip . He was right and they do  though  so hopefully you can work out something with them to at least  use up a good chunk of your balance to your favour .  

I'd call the pay go number and  ask  them ....I wouldn't expect any other Rogers staff to give me an answer I would consider credible ... nobody knows paygo like the paygo people it seems .  

edited to add : not sure why you would be paying $.50  a minute if its an old plan  ...ours still says $.25  ... but then we only make one call a year .

They never told me that I could use $100 of the balance to do anything except to make/receive calls, make/receive SMS, or opt for add-on services (like data, SMS packs, etc.)

In terms of why I pay $0.50/minute, this has been going up. I don't remember how much I was paying originally but I believe it was ~$0.30/minute for the first 5 minutes in the day and then the rate dropped down to $0.20/minute for the remainder of the day. Currently, my prepaid price plan is called the "Talk All Day Plan" which I can't find what it is but I believe that I am charged $0.50/minute for the first 5 minutes in the day and then the rate drops to around $0.35/minute BUT I've generally never used my cellphone for over 5 minutes in the day (as I'm around a landline phone over 75% of the time which despite what the carriers including Rogers might say, landline phones generally always sound better than cellular calls) so I can't vouch if there is a lower rate after the first 5 minutes anymore.

The reason why I originally picked Rogers prepaid over the other prepaid carriers is that Rogers used to offer free incoming calls from other Rogers prepaid customers (maining that if someone on Rogers prepaid called you, you didn't pay anything to receive the call). I don't know if anyone here remembers that but it did exist on Rogers and was a free service for either all prepaid accounts or only certain prepaid accounts.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lmcjipo wrote:

1. I don't know if anyone here remembers that but it did exist on Rogers and was a free service for either all prepaid accounts or only certain prepaid accounts.

2. it will be next to impossible for some customers to get their balance down to ~$50 in a year's time 

3. I'm not saying whether it is legal or not... 

1. I remember something like that, but bringing it up 8+ years later, is pretty irrelevant.  

2. In your original reply and post you got the date Incorrect. Now you have the balance incorrect, it's $150, based on previous posts.

3. In your original post you did say that it was illegal, and it's not.  I didn't say that corporations have never done anything illegal, however, what Rogers are currently doing regarding PAYGo currently is not illegal.

ddtstack
I've been here awhile

Holy geez Mr. Rogers maybe it's not illegal but it's still a heinous, greasy, greedy move that a company with legitimate competition for their services would not ever dream of even attempting. The money's already been paid for the service. Tell me another business where you pay for a service and your money's... what? Stolen? Recouped? Confiscated?

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@ddtstack wrote:

. The money's already been paid for the service. Tell me another business where you pay for a service and your money's... what? Stolen? Recouped? Confiscated?

While I'm certainly not going to argue about  some of Rogers's business ethics  I do have to  ask what other business  even has a set  up as beneficial to the customer  as the Talk Anytime  paygo plan was.

Its no wonder they have cancelled it .  

Yes all service providers  had the same plan  when it came out .... but what other comparable business basically  charges you  a system access fee and then lets you use that fee to purchase  the product or even renew the system access fee if you don't use much product. 

Try that with the water company , or hydro and see how it works for ya.  Smiley Wink

BTW  ...what are the options that Rogers is suggesting for using up your high balance ... I trust that has been looked in to and not very appealing ?

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

@lmcjipo wrote:

1. I don't know if anyone here remembers that but it did exist on Rogers and was a free service for either all prepaid accounts or only certain prepaid accounts.

2. it will be next to impossible for some customers to get their balance down to ~$50 in a year's time 

3. I'm not saying whether it is legal or not... 

1. I remember something like that, but bringing it up 8+ years later, is pretty irrelevant.  

2. In your original reply and post you got the date Incorrect. Now you have the balance incorrect, it's $150, based on previous posts.

3. In your original post you did say that it was illegal, and it's not.  I didn't say that corporations have never done anything illegal, however, what Rogers are currently doing regarding PAYGo currently is not illegal.

1) I was just bringing up the original reason why I opted for Rogers prepaid. I'm not trying to get the free incoming calls from prepaid users back. All carriers had similar options and price points at the time. Rogers was the only carrier that offered free incoming prepaid to prepaid users (where the prepaid caller pays)

2) I think you have me confused with another poster since my dates were never incorrect. Another poster mentioned 3 days. My math is correct and my use amount of $50 is correct. I mentioned $50 since the new MAXIMUM allowed would be $150. Top up of $100 for 1 year so there is little point in dropping my balance down to $150 and then topping up with $100 to get a balance of $150. The maximum allowed at any point will be $150 at the end of 2018. The point is to top up and not only have the expiration date increase but have that top up add to the balance so that you can use it otherwise with maximum going forward of $150, why not top up with $1000 and get $150 of balance as a final result. This was why I mentioned $50.

3) I never said/wrote it was illegal. Read my posts again. Another poster wrote that it was illegal. I personally question the legality and if a class action lawsuit is launched it would test the legality of it. Why do you think it is legal just because Rogers or another carrier does something? Class action lawsuits have been won by people by things that corporations including trhe carriers have done.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Today I finally received that infamous message.

paygo.jpg

I now have a balance of approximately $270. Even if I don't use my phone at all and don't receive any spam texts, deduct $9 for a year's worth of 911 fees and $100 for renewing next September, I'll have a balance of $161 at the end of 2018.  That means I'll lose $11 if they knock it down to $150.  Nothing to cry over. But I'll probably use the $11 over the next year I'm sure.

There are far bigger crimes committed by corporations than cutting the balance. I remember years ago my mother opened a bank account with some money for one of her grandchildren. We forgot all about it until we got a notice that the balance had been consumed by bank fees and they wanted more money for resurrecting the dormant account.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lmcjipo wrote:

2) I think you have me confused with another poster

Sorry, I did confuse posters. I try to simplify my posts by copy/pasting instead of quoting an entire post.  I copied from the wrong person.  This time it got me in trouble.   I think both our positions stand, if read with the appropriate intent in mind.

A class action (when won) doesn't (necessarily) mean that something is illegal either.  It just means that the corporation needs to compensate those in the class action.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

@lmcjipo wrote:

2) I think you have me confused with another poster

Sorry, I did confuse posters. I try to simplify my posts by copy/pasting instead of quoting an entire post.  I copied from the wrong person.  This time it got me in trouble.   I think both our positions stand, if read with the appropriate intent in mind.

A class action (when won) doesn't (necessarily) mean that something is illegal either.  It just means that the corporation needs to compensate those in the class action.

I think you are playing with semantics regarding class action and legality/illegality. I'm not a lawyer but why would a corporation compensate those in the class action if they did nothing wrong, it wasn't illegal and what they did was perfectly legal? Also, if they did nothing wrong, why would they just give money away if they didn't have to?  I've only been on the forum a short time but you come across as being a Rogers apologist where Rogers can do no wrong and when they do something, it must be legal. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

lmcjipo wrote: ....if they did nothing wrong, why would they just give money away if they didn't have to?  

I've only been on the forum a short time but you come across as being a Rogers apologist where Rogers can do no wrong and when they do something, it must be legal.  

I don't believe you understand the difference between "wrong" and "illegal".  Currently users of older iPhones are considering a class action against Apple because the new firmware has slowed down their older iPhones.  If they "win" it doesn't mean that Apple did anything illegal (against the law - nowhere is it written in law that Apple cannot do this), however, the courts may still penalize the corporation.

I am not an apologist for anyone, however, having worked in the corporate world for a long time and understand the corporate mandate (to maximize profits), I do know why corporations do what they do and try to explain it here.  See "The corporation as psychopath" below:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Tranjo
I've been here awhile
This is ridiculous. Remember, now you will need a balance of $50 by the end of the year otherwise you cannot to up using the $100 card. Say you have $80 left in your account, if you buy the $100 top up card, you are going to end up with $150 max balance. Which means you immediately lose $30!!

They need to reconsider either bumping up the balance or extending the time users can user up the balance.

Plus I can almost guarantee people will switch to ther providers that do not have this max balance to worry about. I know I will.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Tranjo wrote:
This is ridiculous. Remember, now you will need a balance of $50 by the end of the year otherwise you cannot to up using the $100 card. Say you have $80 left in your account, if you buy the $100 top up card, you are going to end up with $150 max balance. Which means you immediately lose $30!!

They need to reconsider either bumping up the balance or extending the time users can user up the balance.

Plus I can almost guarantee people will switch to ther providers that do not have this max balance to worry about. I know I will.

I'm not sure about that. When wanted to use my balance to top up (renew) I would call the PayGo number.  I don't see why, in a case like that, I could not ask to use $50 from my balance and $50 from my credit card, The only beef I have with Rogers is that only a $100 top up will get you a whole year. With 7-11 Speakout all top ups are good for a year. Now that unlocking phones is free, Rogers needs to fix that and the PayGo rates or lose customers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@Tranjo wrote:

I agree. I could care less about Rogers setting a maximum as long as the maximum is high enough and/or they lower it gradually BUT to set it at a ridiculous low amount of $150 immediately (or more accurately by the end of 2018). It means reducing the amount to ~$50 by your next top up otherwise you will lose the excess over $150 come December 2018.

The only thing keeping me to Rogers prepaid after they removed the free incoming calls from Rogers prepaid callers, charging for incoming (spam) SMS which you could get back if you spent ~10 minutes of your time calling Rogers to ask for your money back is because of my high balance and Rogers not refunding the balances for porting.

It is almost guaranteed that they will lose me once my balance drops down to $0.00 and I will port my number. The only reason stopping me from porting the number is my significant balance... I'm sure it is the same for a lot of people with high balances.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

I contacted Rogers Prepaid and they made a time sensitive offer but not sure how great the offer is for someone in my situation. There is always the possibility that they will sweeten, make it worse, or change the offer in some other way which is probably why the offer made to me was time sensitive. As mentioned, I had little doubt that they would allow me to transfer the entire balance over to a postpaid account since they've done this in the past with many prepaid customers and they want customers off prepaid especially the old prepaid plans where you are charged for everything (no minutes/SMS included) and into the more lucrative postpaid plans.

Even for those people who really want to transfer to a postpaid plan from a prepaid plan due to this change, they are getting ripped off somewhat since they will be taxed twice. You basically paid tax on the prepaid voucher or prepaid airtime (ex: $100 airtime voucher actually costs ~$115 depending on the province you reside in) and once the balance rolls over to postpaid, you are taxed on the postpaid plan and/or the postpaid phone purchase and this comes out of the $100 which actually cost you $115.

I'm sure "57" will say that it is a tax and it isn't going to Rogers. I will repeat that I'm not saying that it is going to Rogers, I'm just saying that customers are getting shafted.   Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

lmcjipo wrote:  I agree. I could care less about Rogers setting a maximum as long as the maximum is high enough and/or they lower it gradually BUT to set it at a ridiculous low amount of $150 immediately (or more accurately by the end of 2018). It means reducing the amount to ~$50 by your next top up otherwise you will lose the excess over $150 come December 2018.

If you use Auto Top-up instead, you don't need to work that way. You simply pay $10/month and whenever your balance reaches close to $150, you "pay" for the next year with $100 from your balance, suspending the Auto Top-up for that year.  I have done this three times in the eight years I've had the plan and as a result have the equivalent of an average monthly bill of only about $7.  I believe this is better than paying $100 each year...  To each his own, obviously.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Now that unlocking phones is free, Rogers needs to fix that and the PayGo rates or lose customers.

Not only is unlocking phones free but number portability is another reason why Rogers will probably lose prepaid customers over this low maximum amount and certain customers will just use enough of their balance to bring it to a level which feel comfortable about and will port their number without any care about the amount remaining.

I cancelled a postpaid corporate plan line with Rogers and it was a headache trying to get the money back (you are paying a month in advance for postpaid plans) and with prepaid plans, it is less headaches since Rogers won't/can't use the "Well, we can't refund your money immediately since you might have roaming fees from our roaming partners that haven't shown up on the bill yet" since prepaid balances are almost always forfeited when you port. I waited roughly 3-4 months to get reimbursed for my postpaid corporate plan line.

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

@57 wrote:

lmcjipo wrote:  I agree. I could care less about Rogers setting a maximum as long as the maximum is high enough and/or they lower it gradually BUT to set it at a ridiculous low amount of $150 immediately (or more accurately by the end of 2018). It means reducing the amount to ~$50 by your next top up otherwise you will lose the excess over $150 come December 2018.

If you use Auto Top-up instead, you don't need to work that way. You simply pay $10/month and whenever your balance reaches close to $150, you "pay" for the next year with $100 from your balance, suspending the Auto Top-up for that year.  I have done this three times in the eight years I've had the plan and as a result have the equivalent of an average monthly bill of only about $7.  I believe this is better than paying $100 each year...  To each his own, obviously.

I was never offered the using $100 from the balance so I didn't need to top up. If I was offered this, my balance would not have gone up so high. I'm sure a lot of other customers were never offered this option either. It was also not shown on their website.

All that was shown on their website is (and I'm paraphrasing). Balance expires on DD/MM/YYY. Refill/Top-Up before to roll over your balance. $100 airtime purchase/top-up for 365 day expiration. Nowhere in their website nor did I receive anything that stated that I could use $100 from my existing balance to give myself another 365 day expiration. They mention that you can top up with credit card or airtime voucher purchase. They never mentioned using existing balances.

Only SMS/messages I received from Rogers were things like:

Rogers msg: Already spending $10/mo. topping up? Now you can get more value for your money with our $10 prepaid plan. Enjoy 50 anytime minutes... blah... blah... blah... (I won't bore you with the details but you get the idea) or messages telling me that my top up was successful and I can check my new balance and expiration date by dialing *225.

I also do remember them sending me a text message indicating a yearly plan. I don't remember the exact details but it wasn't for me. It was 2 yearly plans. One yearly plan was unlimited weekend and evening calling, a certain per minute rate for daytime minutes, a certain rate for SMS and the other yearly plan was unlimited SMS and a certain per minute rate for all calls. Both plans I believe also offered 100 daytime minutes free/included for the entire year.

Tranjo
I've been here awhile
You are 100% right. One of the main reasons why I am still with Rogers is because of the balance. If Rogers was smart they would want people to maintain high balances, that way they have a large loyal customer base.

Frankly people are on prepaid because of their usage pattern. A move like those will not shift customers to postpaid, not as long as people have plenty of other options . This move will only have Rogers kill their prepaid business and shift customers over to the smaller competitors like PC mobile or 7-eleven.

My plan is to enable a nice data package to use up my balance then switch once it gets close to zero.

Switching to postpaid is a big mistake. If you are on prepaid, you know your usage patterns. With postpaid, you are just going to eat up your balance quickly with the monthly fees for minutes you will never use and your minutes will just expire monthly instead.

Tranjo
I've been here awhile
I highly recommend you make a complaint to the crtc. With enough complaints I'm sure the crtc will implement rules to force rogers to reverse their decision.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/#mobile

Spread the word. We need more complaints.

We2Kings
I've been here awhile

I just received the "New $150 Maximum Balance" message today. I have a balance of $480.82, and will need to top up again in June (5 months from now). As it says, "Refill to roll-over your balance". I (and my wife) have been with Rogers for over 15 years, and I rarely use my cell, and will likely lose $350.00 (plus) to this  ?scheme?.  I have pre-paid for this service annually for myself and my wife, and we (and many others) will each stand to lose a lot with this.  Likely billions of dollars involved worldwide. Unless these funds are refunded, this is misappropriation of funds. We paid for a specific service, and the service was significantly modified unilaterally (to the benefit of Rogers). The media needs to be contacted about this, and a class action suit filed. I would rather give the money to a lawyer who will fight for doing the "right thing". This is just like the prepaid gift card schemes- remeber the "diminishing balance" giftcard lawsuits? Anyway, hopefully Rogers does the right thing with this new "idea" of theirs. Save all of your documentation (we will).

message.jpg

balance.jpg

Topic Stats