cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

Had my prepaid phone off during the holidays and just turned it on today to receive the following text from Rogers:

 

Rogers service msg: Starting at the end of 2018, our prepaid services will have a maximum allowed balance of $150. Any balance above $150 will no longer be available as of end of 2018. We will be in touch with more information on how you can use your balance soon, but in the meantime you can continue to use your balance as normal. Questions? http://rogers.com/contactus

 

What are the options? The option that I think that they will do is to force those high balance users to go to postpaid. Unless they give me the option to get a new phone, there is no way that I would be able to use my balance or reduce it to under $150 before the end of 2018. The only other thing which would reduce my balance is for me to take options/services that I don't need (like data/SMS/addon services) that I don't need for the sake of just reducing my balance.

 

This seems ridiculous.

 

***EDITED LABELS***

367 REPLIES 367

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @lmcjipo,

I agree - this is unfair.  Have you tried speaking / engaging with Rogers via:

- Private Message on this forum (send PM to @CommunityHelps),

- 1-888-ROGERS-1,

- Twitter (send Direct Message to @RogersHelps),

- Facebook.

 

Work with the team, document everything (including case/incident numbers), make your case and see what can be done.

 

If you engage via these methods and do not get a satisfactory response, consider escalating your issue via the "Share a Concern" page (HERE).

 

Please keep us in the loop & let us know if your issue was resolved!

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

It was their ridiculous $100 per year minimum top-up to maintain the balance that caused users to get high balances. The $100 per year top-up is the industry standard in North America for the most part but making the maximum balance $150 by the end of 2018 for those customers who have a large balance is ridiculous.

 

They will probably blame those customers for not using their $100 in the year. Only reason I went on Pay As You Go (prepaid) was not because I couldn't satisfy the credit check requirements of a postpaid plan. It was because I needed a phone that I could use for emergencies as I am close to a landline phone at work and when I'm at home, I have a landline phone as well. Lowest postpaid plan would probably be ~$20/month... which works out to $240 in a year and if I couldn't use up $100 in a year (even with the 911 fees and taxes) on a high per minute rate ($0.50/minute) why would I need a postpaid plan that gives me minutes/SMS/data at over twice the price that I pay when I barely use my minutes in my prepaid plan.

 

Screenshot_20171227-142838.png

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Hello @lmcjipo,

I understand where you are coming from, but don't know what your options are.  I still recommend you engage with the Rogers team and ask what your options are - they may suggest/offer something that works for you.

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Please have a look at my post in the following thread:

 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Prepaid-to-Postpaid-Will-I-lose-my-PAYGO-balance/...

 

Whenever I had a balance over $200, I used $100 of that balance to "pay for the next year" or as I called it "suspend payments for a year".  Now, if your balance is over $250, then that may become a problem, but I guess that Rogers will provide some options for those with a huge balance.  I would urge anyone to never keep a huge balance for something that could be taken away in the future. That's why I've used the "$100 payment for the next year" option three times already over the 8 years I've had PAYGo. 

 

I believe this option only applies to those on grandfathered plans and does not apply to new PAYGo plans, although according to information supplied in the thread linked above, you could "transfer" the balance to a post-paid account.

 

As I also mentioned in that thread, this "maximum balance" may be an accounting requirement (initiative) to minimize future liability by Rogers.  I dealt with similar liability issues when I was still working in the corporate world.

 

Note also that 1-888-ROGERS-1 cannot be used for PAYGo. You need to use the number/options indicated in my link.



Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

My balance is significantly higher than $250 and in terms of them taking it away, their own guidelines clearly state that "Refill before expiration date to roll over your balance" which I have made sure that I've done for the last 7-8 years or so.

 

As mentioned, I'm someone who opted for prepaid not because I couldn't pass a credit check but because I don't use my cellphone that often and I'm generally around a landline phone over 75% of the time (while I'm at work and while I'm at home) and despite what cellphone carriers and VoIP providers might state, landline connections are generally better/clearer than either of these services so when I'm at home/work and need to make a call, I'll generally pick up the landline instead of using my cellphone.

 

In terms of transferring to a postpaid plan, I'm almost 100% sure that Rogers will give me this option BUT why would someone who is eligible to go on a postpaid plan (i.e. can pass a credit check) which includes minutes (and possibly texts) and has a minimum monthly plan charge of ~$20/month when that same person is on a prepaid plan which includes 0 minutes and 0 texts, pays a high rate of $0.50/minute on local calls, and does not use more than the $100 in a year?

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lmcjipo wrote:

My balance is significantly higher than $250


Then I suggest you get it down as low as possible, as soon as possible. Carrying a large balance is very risky and should never be encouraged.  I have given you one option, which will clear say $200 in the next year ($100 now, $100 this time next year).

 

I have not seen this text myself and did have my PAYGo phone on today (it's normally off and used very little - only for real emergencies) . If I receive such a text,  I will use the $100 payment option to ensure that I don't go over their maximum at any time in the future.

 

Perhaps Rogers is contacting people with "Very high" balances currently. I know that I had a pretty high balance the first time I received an e-mail regarding the "use $100 of your balance" option.



Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

As mentioned, with the balance that I have, it is next to impossible to drop the balance to under $150 by the end of 2018 unless I add services/options/add-ins to my prepaid account just for the sake of lowering the balance or making calls just for the sake of making calls and that would be as stupid as using my prepaid phone to call my landline phone and then leaving both phones on/connected just to deplete the balance of my prepaid phone.

 

It isn't like Rogers is incrementally lowering the maximum prepaid balance. They basically had no limit (or limit was over $750 from the rumours that I heard) and then decided the limit will now be $150 after 2018.

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@lmcjipo wrote:

Had my prepaid phone off during the holidays and just turned it on today to receive the following text from Rogers:

 

Rogers service msg: Starting at the end of 2018, our prepaid services will have a maximum allowed balance of $150. Any balance above $150 will no longer be available as of end of 2018. We will be in touch with more information on how you can use your balance soon, but in the meantime you can continue to use your balance as normal. Questions? http://rogers.com/contactus

 

What are the options? The option that I think that they will do is to force those high balance users to go to postpaid. Unless they give me the option to get a new phone, there is no way that I would be able to use my balance or reduce it to under $150 before the end of 2018. The only other thing which would reduce my balance is for me to take options/services that I don't need (like data/SMS/addon services) that I don't need for the sake of just reducing my balance.

 

This seems ridiculous.

 

***EDITED LABELS***


Wow, that's harsh! My current balance is just under $270 because I neglected to use $100 out of it to renew in September.  I will certainly do that next September.  I guess if you don't use it, you lose it. What I've done in the past to use up my balance is to make all long distance calls on my cellphone instead of using my landline and paying extra.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@lmcjipo wrote:

It was their ridiculous $100 per year minimum top-up to maintain the balance that caused users to get high balances. The $100 per year top-up is the industry standard in North America for the most part but making the maximum balance $150 by the end of 2018 for those customers who have a large balance is ridiculous.

 

They will probably blame those customers for not using their $100 in the year. Only reason I went on Pay As You Go (prepaid) was not because I couldn't satisfy the credit check requirements of a postpaid plan. It was because I needed a phone that I could use for emergencies as I am close to a landline phone at work and when I'm at home, I have a landline phone as well. Lowest postpaid plan would probably be ~$20/month... which works out to $240 in a year and if I couldn't use up $100 in a year (even with the 911 fees and taxes) on a high per minute rate ($0.50/minute) why would I need a postpaid plan that gives me minutes/SMS/data at over twice the price that I pay when I barely use my minutes in my prepaid plan.

 

Screenshot_20171227-142838.png


I have received no such message. I'm on the original prepaid plan where you can renew $20 to $95 for 30 days or $100 for 365 days. I don't even understand what that message means. Does it mean that if at renewal time you have a balance of say $200 and want to use $100 of it to renew for another year, they will only honour $100 of it and leave you with a balance of $50?


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I have received no such message. I'm on the original prepaid plan where you can renew $20 to $95 for 30 days or $100 for 365 days. I don't even understand what that message means. Does it mean that if at renewal time you have a balance of say $200 and want to use $100 of it to renew for another year, they will only honour $100 of it and leave you with a balance of $50?


I am also on the "original" Pay As You Go plan which is that I'm charged for everything (calls, incoming/outgoing texts, etc.) and where the top up is $100/year. I'm not sure why you didn't receive it. Maybe it is because my balance is significantly over $150 or some other reason. This plan used to come with free incoming SMS (not that I used it but it helped with the spam messages that I often get) and Rogers prepaid to Rogers prepaid calls use to be free for the receiver. Both are no longer part of the plan.

 

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

 


@robindp wrote:

Hello @lmcjipo,

I agree - this is unfair.  Have you tried speaking / engaging with Rogers via:

@- Private Message on this forum (send PM to @CommunityHelps),

- 1-888-ROGERS-1,

@- Twitter (send Direct Message to @RogersHelps),

- Facebook.

 


Thanks for your suggestions...

 

1) I've just sent a PM to CommunityHelps.

2) The 1-888-ROGERS-1 number won't help with Pay As You Go issues/accounts

3) I don't have a Twitter account

4) I've just sent a message on Facebook but generally the people who monitor the Facebook accounts won't touch or help with Pay As You Go issues either.

 

 

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

While I understand  it comes as a bit of a shock  to have Rogers  say you may loose part of your balance ....  just what were you figuring on doing  with it  if they hadn't brought this up . 

We have had one of the cheapest plans  going  at  $8.30 a month(and that would be assuming you rolled no balance over)  and actually down close to $6 a month for  those that have been rolling a portion of their balance back in as payment .  Where could you go to find it cheaper ?  That wouldn't even cover the system access fee  on the post paid plans . 

I'll be happy if they just let me keep the plan  we have and they can have any of my balance  over $150 after renewal . Smiley Wink 

 

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

@lmcjipo wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions...

 

1) I've just sent a PM to CommunityHelps.

2) The 1-888-ROGERS-1 number won't help with Pay As You Go issues/accounts

3) I don't have a Twitter account

4) I've just sent a message on Facebook but generally the people who monitor the Facebook accounts won't touch or help with Pay As You Go issues either.

 

 


Result of #1 was that they couldn't help as they don't have access to Pay As You Go customer accounts/information.

 

I'll see what happens with #4 but in my previous correspondence with Rogers via Facebook chat, I received the exact same information that they don't have access to Pay As You Go customer accounts/information.

 

 

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I Plan to Stick Around

@barndoor wrote:

Where could you go to find it cheaper ?

 


Almost all Canadian providers have the $100 renewal for 1 year expiration at the time that Rogers had it.  Rogers has been making this plan less and less generous from when I originally decided to go with Rogers Prepaid over the other carriers' offerings.  Originally the plan had incoming calls free from other Rogers Prepaid customers and free incoming SMS. Also, the per minute rate was lower than the current $0.50/minute rate.

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Looks like Rogers should have charged  more sooner  so people weren't able to build up these  large  balances that have become a liability for them .   Smiley Happy

 

I haven't seen where you have mentioned  whether you have paid for a year($100)  using your balance.   If Rogers has failed with regard to this situation  I think it was in not informing you years ago that that was an option  so you did not build up this large account balance.  I know I learned about it  from another customer  not Rogers. I remember telling him he was nuts,  why would  Rogers ever do that ...it was like letting the customer double dip . He was right and they do  though  so hopefully you can work out something with them to at least  use up a good chunk of your balance to your favour .  

 

I'd call the pay go number and  ask  them ....I wouldn't expect any other Rogers staff to give me an answer I would consider credible ... nobody knows paygo like the paygo people it seems .  

 

edited to add : not sure why you would be paying $.50  a minute if its an old plan  ...ours still says $.25  ... but then we only make one call a year .

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barndoor wrote:

 

 

...not sure why you would be paying $.50  a minute if its an old plan  ...ours still says $.25  ... but then we only make one call a year .


Just as an FYI, I've also been on the same $10/mo plan for 8 years and pay $0.50/minute now.  In 2009 it was $0.40/minute and I believe it became $0.50 around 2015. Perhaps you're on a different plan if you're only paying $0.25.



Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

No  @57  ... I just made a blunder and can't  read the my rogers page properly ...  I have no idea now  what it is per minute    and we never use that phone for calls anyway so I can't check that way . Sorry to  misinform .   Smiley Embarassed

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57  ... a thought stemming from your  post .... if  Rogers  considers it reasonable to change the rates in a plan ... how long will they  allow it to be grandfathered ? 

I have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end for these old plans and the best we can hope for  is for Rogers to  honour  them for another couple years. 

I had a really inexpensive postpaid emergency plan  and this  seems deja vu of how it came to  dissappear .

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

@barndoor wrote:

 

 

...not sure why you would be paying $.50  a minute if its an old plan  ...ours still says $.25  ... but then we only make one call a year .


Just as an FYI, I've also been on the same $10/mo plan for 8 years and pay $0.50/minute now.  In 2009 it was $0.40/minute and I believe it became $0.50 around 2015. Perhaps you're on a different plan if you're only paying $0.25.


Just checking my Bill Summary and I see SMS at $0.30 and calls at multiples of $0.35. I do remember when the rate was bumped up to $0.50/minute, but once when I was renewing on the phone, the agent dropped it down to $0.35. I didn't question her, but for the number of calls I make and receive, it doesn't make a lot of difference. When I started I believe the rate was $0.25/minute.


Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

ddtstack
I've Been Here Awhile
Just got the text today, my balance was $139 since I just signed up for mobile data again. Next month I'm going to up my data usage and once my balance is gone so am I. This is illegal and if Rogers (and Bell) didn't run a government sponsored monopoly they wouldn't be allowed to steal money that people have already spent on your service. Giving people 3 days notice is just the icing on the cake. Pathetic.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats