cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

lmcjipo
I plan to stick around

Had my prepaid phone off during the holidays and just turned it on today to receive the following text from Rogers:

Rogers service msg: Starting at the end of 2018, our prepaid services will have a maximum allowed balance of $150. Any balance above $150 will no longer be available as of end of 2018. We will be in touch with more information on how you can use your balance soon, but in the meantime you can continue to use your balance as normal. Questions? http://rogers.com/contactus

What are the options? The option that I think that they will do is to force those high balance users to go to postpaid. Unless they give me the option to get a new phone, there is no way that I would be able to use my balance or reduce it to under $150 before the end of 2018. The only other thing which would reduce my balance is for me to take options/services that I don't need (like data/SMS/addon services) that I don't need for the sake of just reducing my balance.

This seems ridiculous.

***EDITED LABELS***

367 REPLIES 367

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

Life is fair...capitalism isn't.

I wonder..if the new maximum balance is $150., will Rogers let me top up to the $150 mark, or can I  only top up with $100. ?

curious, who has the highest balance?  Mine is $498 ...

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@Sarcee wrote:

I wonder..if the new maximum balance is $150., will Rogers let me top up to the $150 mark, or can I  only top up with $100. ?

Supposedly high balances aren't an issue  until end of  2018 isn't it ?   I'd pay the $100 now to take you to next Feb and if you still have a balance  over  $150 at the end of the year  use $100 of the balance to renew for another year on Dec 31.  Check with them first closer to the date  though to see the exact date of the balance confiscation . Smiley Wink

Not setting the balance limit at $200 instead of  $150 so that people have room to  add $100 to a balance of between 50 and a $100 with out losing part of it   is just  ...... ... .    I can't think of an appropriate word that won't get me banned, but like you say @Sarcee that is capitalism at work . Smiley Wink

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

@barndoor wrote:

Supposedly high balances aren't an issue  until end of  2018 isn't it ?   I'd pay the $100 now to take you to next Feb and if you still have a balance  over  $150 at the end of the year  use $100 of the balance to renew for another year on Dec 31.  Check with them first closer to the date  though to see the exact date of the balance confiscation . Smiley Wink

Not setting the balance limit at $200 instead of  $150 so that people have room to  add $100 to a balance of between 50 and a $100 with out losing part of it   is just  ...... ... .    I can't think of an appropriate word that won't get me banned, but like you say @Sarcee that is capitalism at work . Smiley Wink

Thanks. Things are really tight financially for me right now and so I'm hoping not to have to shell out $100. at this time. That's why the $10.00 /mth plan looked attractive. I'm going to call Rogers back soon and ask if they'll let me top up to the $100.00 level. I'll let folks on here know what they say.

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

I'm going to call Rogers back soon and ask if they'll let me top up to the $100.00 level. I'll let folks on here know what they say.

Good point .... even better .... just ad  $40 and  have them take $100 of balance to pay for a  1 year expiry  ...leave you with a balance of 27 for call /texts that you can ad $10 to if you need to . 

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

Okay, so I just talked to a CSR about my PAYGO Talk All Day Plan, and I found out if I switch to a monthly plan I can keep and transfer my credit balance. My credit balance was due to expire on Feb 8th, so they said they would extend the expiration date for 5 months on the new plan as a courtesy offer.  I guess this makes sense, but for some reason in my mind I was thinking  the expiry date would be re-set once I switched plans, and I could carry the balance for another year.

This throws a monkey wrench into my plans and I'll have to think more about what I want to do. My current balance is $87.00.

It looks like my options are either ask to stay on the current plan, and shell out another $100 (for a total credit of $187.00) to last me another year. Or pay $10.00 /mth and carry $87.00 for only 5 months.

I just reread this and wonder if it needs clarification .  If you switch to the new flat rate plan there will be no new expiry worth considering will there ? You will just need to have ten  dollars in your account each month at renewal time  to pay for the  monthly fee .  Or are they going to give you a free five months  of the monthly plan before you have to start using out of your balance to pay the monthly charge ? 

Anyone know if the 911 fee is included or is the monthly bill actually  $10.75 or whatever it is Rogers charges for 911?

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

@barndoor wrote:

@Sarcee wrote:

Okay, so I just talked to a CSR about my PAYGO Talk All Day Plan, and I found out if I switch to a monthly plan I can keep and transfer my credit balance. My credit balance was due to expire on Feb 8th, so they said they would extend the expiration date for 5 months on the new plan as a courtesy offer.  I guess this makes sense, but for some reason in my mind I was thinking  the expiry date would be re-set once I switched plans, and I could carry the balance for another year.

This throws a monkey wrench into my plans and I'll have to think more about what I want to do. My current balance is $87.00.

It looks like my options are either ask to stay on the current plan, and shell out another $100 (for a total credit of $187.00) to last me another year. Or pay $10.00 /mth and carry $87.00 for only 5 months.

I just reread this and wonder if it needs clarification .  If you switch to the new flat rate plan there will be no new expiry worth considering will there ? You will just need to have ten  dollars in your account each month at renewal time  to pay for the  monthly fee .  Or are they going to give you a free five months  of the monthly plan before you have to start using out of your balance to pay the monthly charge ? 

Anyone know if the 911 fee is included or is the monthly bill actually  $10.75 or whatever it is Rogers charges for 911?

Yeah, that's what I thought too....that if I switched over to the new plan there would be no expiry for my transferred credit balance. But she said that since the balance was due to expire within days she would extend the expiry date for 5 months under the new plan. I hadn't thought of that, and it threw me for a loop. They must figure that the accrued balance falls under the terms of the previous plan.

I don't think I could spend $87.00 in 5 months on that phone. And I don't want to shell out $100.00 at one time now. So if they'll let me top up from $87.00 to $150.00 I could probably manage to spend $150.00 over a year, and then switch plans next year when it expires.

Pretty sure the flat rate plan would be $10.00 / mth ($10.50 with tax) plus 911 fee.

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

Yeah, that's what I thought too....that if I switched over to the new plan there would be no expiry for my transferred credit balance. But she said that since the balance was due to expire within days she would extend the expiry date for 5 months under the new plan. I hadn't thought of that, and it threw me for a loop. They must figure that the accrued balance falls under the terms of the previous plan.

There have been people here that have been given  a free year  ....and got to stay on the old plan and sounds like  @lmcjipo got a heck of a deal and was able to transfer his/her balance to a postpaid plan   .  When you call back maybe you will get a different CSR that will see things in your favour... .  I know in the past I usually have to call in at least three times to get a CSR that sees things my way .. It seems like a huge waste of time and resources to me  but that seems to be the way they want to play the game . 

If you are going to switch to the ten dollar a month plan  I'd suggest  pushing to have that whole balance transferred  to be used over the next eight months  ....and they should give you an extra five months  for wasting your time . 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Sarcee wrote:

Topping up with $100 gets you a whole year. Anything else just gets you 30 days with Rogers. What works for you? If you're only an occasional user and don't want to lay out $100 to save money in the long run, switch to another carrier like Speakout, that will give you a year with any top-up.  It's a free market.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Sarcee wrote:

Topping up with $100 gets you a whole year. Anything else just gets you 30 days with Rogers. What works for you? If you're only an occasional user and don't want to lay out $100 to save money in the long run, switch to another carrier like Speakout, that will give you a year with any top-up.  It's a free market.

Are  you saying it won't work  for @Sarcee to add $60  to bring the balance to $147 and then use $100 of that balance to renew for a year?  @Sarcee likely doesn't want to move at this point and lose  that $87  balance   much as it may be much less frustration  to just switch companies .  Smiley Wink

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

Are  you saying it won't work  for @Sarcee to add $60  to bring the balance to $147 and then use $100 of that balance to renew for a year?  @Sarcee likely doesn't want to move at this point and lose  that $87  balance   much as it may be much less frustration  to just switch companies .  Smiley Wink

Okay, I see it.  Adding $60 extends the plan by 30 days.  Before the end of that you can call to renew for a year using $100 from the balance. Providing, of course, that you're grandfathered on the original plan and not switched over to the new $10/month one.  My balance is the reason I've never switched.

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

My question had more to do with how strictly are Rogers going to enforce the exact amount of $100. top up, given the fact that this plan is no longer being offered and they've put a cap on the maximum balance. If I top up with $100. I go over the $150. cap. So, would Rogers rather have me bend their own rules on the cap, or on the rules for the exact top up amount?

There must be lots and lots of people in the same boat.

My guess is I might be able to talk them into letting me top up with $63 to reach the $150. cap in order to renew for another year, rather than have me go over the cap. But I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm going to keep phoning back and talking to different CSR's in the coming days.

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

My question had more to do with how strictly are Rogers going to enforce the exact amount of $100. top up, given the fact that this plan is no longer being offered and they've put a cap on the maximum balance.

If you are on that original  plan now and you want to stay on it ,call in and tell them that  and they will grandfather the plan so you can stay on it .  At least they have done it for several others here.  

@57 .....while I know it is the way of the world anymore in this industry , all this wheeling and dealing bs like this  ...how can a lot of it end well . Why wasn't it offered to @Sarcee as an option renew with balance .  Just every man for himself around here I guess.  Just have to sympathize with those not capable of the negotiating for one reason or another. Smiley Sad

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Sarcee wrote:

My question had more to do with how strictly are Rogers going to enforce the exact amount of $100. top up, given the fact that this plan is no longer being offered and they've put a cap on the maximum balance. If I top up with $100. I go over the $150. cap. So, would Rogers rather have me bend their own rules on the cap, or on the rules for the exact top up amount?

When I go to my PayGo call history page and click TOP UP NOW, then Select Amount, I have a choice from $20 to $95 in $5 increments for 30 days, or $100 for 365 days.  If $100 puts you over the cap, then renew for a lesser amount, say $20, or whatever takes you to $130. Then call PayGo and renew  for 365 days with $100 from your balance.

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

Not sure I understand. Do I pay $100.00 with my credit? Wouldn't that leave me with a $30.00 balance?

Or does the  first hundred of the $130 count towards my top up?

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

Not sure I understand. Do I pay $100.00 with my credit? Wouldn't that leave me with a $30.00 balance?

That would be correct .    With an expiry date for that balance  one year away ...say march 2019.   If your balance runs low before that you can add whatever you feel you need to to get you to that  expiry date . That way you can minimize your balance  ...and if you want to  you can change to whatever plan or provider you want to at the new expiry date  with out leaving any significant  balance behind . 

It all hinges on how much call/text time you use in a year .

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

If I spend $100. of my credit balance to renew, then I've lost $100.  and will only have $30. for calls.

Why on earth would anyone do that?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sarcee wrote:

Why on earth would anyone do that?

People like me who don't use their cell phones much.  I have used the $100 option to "suspend payments for a year" three times over the years, usually when I had about $200 balance. 

Once the maximum goes to $150, I'll do it when my balance reaches $150 instead.  I can always add if I need to.

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

If you don't use your cell phone much, all the more crazy it seems to throw away $100.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@lmcjipo  Congratulations on knowing your rights under the wireless code and that in no way is any word from Rogers the last recourse.

You still had the Ombudsman, or CCTC as you suggested, and it has been reported by CRTC that CCTC will review reported concerns around this, but that the CRTC was reported in this thread to have questions about whether there was a breach of the existing contract in the original submission that was redirected to CCTC if unresolved with Rogers.

I can't see that a member of the Office of the President, or at least I hope that is not the case, would not know that the customer has other options - the Office of the President is just another level in the customer issue resolution process, but definitely, they are not the last place at all.  Your response was similiar to what mine would have been, except I would have asked if she knows the Wireless Code and its reference to publically stated escalation process and what that process is for Rogers (it is found in various places on the web site, and often on our bills for those who don' know).

I don't think we will ever see an official news item on the Website, and since they have an issue with contacting people with their phones off, changed addresses (although it is our obligation to notify of this, so they really can't be held responsible for not being able to reach an unknown address or alternative phone number).

But since they know that some people are not going to get the notice, my own guess is that they are just going to wait for the customer to call them when the implications of the change become known on their bill or balance and since the customer did not receive notice, they will have to work with them individually to come to a solution (at a minimum, extend the change to the point where they are notified).

So this is a good lesson to me to occasionally  call or chat and confirm our current terms.

Under the new revised wireless codes, we can request a reprint in paper or email at anytime and they have to give it to us at no charge.  It is their responsibility to notify us of changes upcoming, but I know from other portions of my services, that I have experienced situations where they claim I was sent notification, that it is on my bill, which it wasn't, and somehow, notification got missed.  When missed, they have to treat notification as occurring when you now speak to them if they can't prove that you got it, and at that point, you may be able to discuss options.

This is what we are seeing now in terms of notification and non-notification - that people are calling in and asking their options and making attempts to negotiating, and since most view this as a breach of contract or terms, not just a notice issue, they have been negotiating how this new contract and their balance gets handled.

The only notice that indirectly implies the change is the change in the plan offers on the web site, but in no way in my mind would I say that this whole situation has been handled well, and their approach is kind of hiding in the background and wait for us to become aware and deal with each of us as well contact them.

It is good that they are attempting to create a uniform model for pay as you go, as this mess of changes over the years, with and without notification and various options available to customers has been a bit of a dog's breakfast for a long time.

Hope they learn from this one.

I am wondering why, even in the automated system of getting vouchers, why they don't give an option to choose to advise them of any changes in contact information, as they now know that the current method of ensuring contact is not working well. Clearly messaging via text is not a viable option of communication for this product line.

It is good practice for a customer to always keep their providers up to data on contact methods (mail, email, and or phone numbers), and probably one of our responsibilities in the terms I suspect.

Hope Rogers has learned from this experience.

Since Rogers is in a full scale process of reducing the number of choices and options in plans, encouraging people off grandfathered plans, customers are going to be caught by surprise, as we all get comfortable with our choices, and forced change is often not taken well.  But when communication is not achieved efficiently, then you have a customer dealing with change and poor communication.

Live and learn.

Bruce

barndoor

@Sarcee wrote:

If you don't use your cell phone much, all the more crazy it seems to throw away $100.

It doesn't FEEL right  .... but do the math over a period of time  ... it's the only way to go  unless you have an aggressive   personality and WANT  to fight with Rogers over whether that balance is yours  or really theirs because you had to pay it for access to the network . 

Look at your situation right now  ...you say you can't afford the $100 right now  ...we just showed you how to get a years access for $60 if you won't use a lot of airtime  ... if you switch to the monthly plan it will cost you $60 for just 6 months . 

Why do you think Rogers/Telus / Bell have done away with their anytime type  plans ?  They don't make enough money on it  would certainly seem to be the obvious answer . 

Topic Stats