New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Pay As You Go Maximum Balance

Somebody in Rogers is following this.  I've suddenly got 1cent a minute back!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@russia123  Now that is what I would call a real creative solution - there have been many stories reported on the web where people speak of using smart phones with no plan, and keep a pay as you go sim from other companies with access to phone and small data per use.  Not as low cost as you describe, but I too have actively used Fongo for a while now, keeping it as an option for when or if I pack my current individual post paid plan. My plan is as small as you can get away with, no data and a international text us discount rate as my daughter is in the states.

Ironically, what got me intrigued by the Fongo option was when they cancelled one number.  My current plan does not have wifi calling because I don't have data, even though the phone supports it.  It is ironic that in the drive to push us to data and share everything plans, and top end phones, since I only want minimal use, I started finding alternatives, but I have not really wanted to leave Rogers along the way, but they keep closing my options for affordability and meeting my minimal needs both on phones, and on home services, so I have been building a core of alternative services ideas, all with less services, or even none in some areas, like cable and home phone, and a very low end Internet (people who fall me have seen shades of what I have found); We have to make more cuts as our income is dropping significantly again this year after me being on fixed disability since 2009, and my wife loosing her quality paying job coming on 2 years ago, and we have made cuts in everything including our existing plans across the board but still have to find more.

Life changes, and I like this solution you just described.  I have no problem with Rogers trying to be the Cadillac of services, but I have never been able afford one, nor have I ever wanted one.  My used cars that I run to the ground do me quite well, with a local small mechanic.  If you can afford it go for it.  When we made more money, we used to have top end cable, but we have always been careful with our money, so we have inexpensive home phone, bottom end phone plans, new phones replaced every 5 years or when they fail, and 3 in the cupboard that still work, but we got a deal on replacements when plans came up so we grabbed it.

I love it when someone comes forward and says how they can keep their cost of service down and meet their basic needs.  If there is anything I have learned, it is that life and how much money I will have next year is completely unpredictable, so I have never been on contracts, and I buy used and cheap.  I have no problems using Rogers, as long as they can provide me with services that I want, no extras, at a cost I can afford.

I think many who are on pay as you go plans are of similiar minds - we started that way and only went family plan (now called shared) to provide for free calling between four family members.  We just went to individual plans, bucking the share anything concept totally, went low end, subsidy on phones released two years ago, allowing us to buy out anytime if necessary, and our next step was pay as you go under the old model, but the new model is not competitive at this time with the competition plans we are looking at.

Thanks for popping in with your wonderful option to the question, what do those with this pay as you go issue in front of them.

Now that is creative for sure, customer driven solution.  Meets your needs and budget all in one shot.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@fiona59 wrote:

Somebody in Rogers is following this.  I've suddenly got 1cent a minute back!

Congratulations ! Smiley Wink

Just remember though that you apparently still need to call  in and confirm with  Rogers that you are staying on the same plan  ..It would be sad to see you get it changed back to your old pricing and then loose by having  it automatically changed to  the 10/month flat rate plan in March. 

Unless that has changed .... any Rogers staff want to take the bull by the horns and either confirm or deny here  if that change is still going to happen automatically  ? 

I Plan to Stick Around

@wleadie1 wrote:

1) there are 128 messages here! But is there any official news item on the official Rogers.com website confirming their desire to limit maximum balance for "pay as you go" customers? 

2) anyone had any success escalating their concerns to "Office of the President"?  I called "Pay as you Go" support # 1-800-575-9090 and was given a ticket # 6 days ago!, yet no phone call back from Rogers!

I was the starter or original poster for this thread since I received the SMS probably before most people (maybe because of my high balance).

I can't comment on #1 but in terms of #2, my issue was escalated to the Office of the President and after a heated but polite > 60 minute "discussion" over the phone, I got as good of a deal as I wanted which I felt was fair to both Rogers and myself given the new cap of $150 would not be changed. By "heated", I mean that I did raise my voice and was upset and by "polite", I mean that no swearing/cursing was involved. The person who called me at close to the end of our 60 some odd minute call seemed to suggest that she was willing to refund the entire balance of my account and let me go elsewhere but when I mentioned I would only go with that option if she allowed me to port my number out first and then refund the balance (which prepaid accounts aren't eligible to have refunds of balances). After placing me on hold for a few minutes, she returned to give me what I wanted.

During the call, the lady whom I spoke with indicated that she wouldn't/couldn't offer me what I wanted and being the Office of the President for Rogers, it was the last recourse. I corrected her to say that if she wanted to end the call, I was fine with that since I was already contacting the CCTS. She told me that the CCTS has absolutely no control over price plans. I told her that this was true BUT where the carrier is changing the terms of the original contract and wiping out the balance of the customer, they might have something to say about that. I think made her try to address my concerns.

I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, so I just talked to a CSR about my PAYGO Talk All Day Plan, and I found out if I switch to a monthly plan I can keep and transfer my credit balance. My credit balance was due to expire on Feb 8th, so they said they would extend the expiration date for 5 months on the new plan as a courtesy offer.  I guess this makes sense, but for some reason in my mind I was thinking  the expiry date would be re-set once I switched plans, and I could carry the balance for another year.

This throws a monkey wrench into my plans and I'll have to think more about what I want to do. My current balance is $87.00.

It looks like my options are either ask to stay on the current plan, and shell out another $100 (for a total credit of $187.00) to last me another year. Or pay $10.00 /mth and carry $87.00 for only 5 months.

I'm Here A Lot

you said "Rogers willing to refund the entire balance of my account and let me go elsewhere".  This afternoon, I spent over 15 min on the phone with an Office of the President rep, and they REFUSED to give me a refund when I explicitly asked.  Why is Rogers making private, SECRET deals with selected customers; that's UNFAIR!  And who is CCTS ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wleadie1 wrote:

1 Why is Rogers making private, SECRET deals with selected customers; that's UNFAIR! 

2. And who is CCTS ?

1. No one ever said life is fair.  What you get depends on several factors like with whom you're dealing, your negotiating skills and what services you have with Rogers (monthly payments), etc.

2. CCTS: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I Plan to Stick Around

Life is fair...capitalism isn't.

I wonder..if the new maximum balance is $150., will Rogers let me top up to the $150 mark, or can I  only top up with $100. ?

I'm Here A Lot

curious, who has the highest balance?  Mine is $498 ...

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Sarcee wrote:

Life is fair...capitalism isn't.

I wonder..if the new maximum balance is $150., will Rogers let me top up to the $150 mark, or can I  only top up with $100. ?

Supposedly high balances aren't an issue  until end of  2018 isn't it ?   I'd pay the $100 now to take you to next Feb and if you still have a balance  over  $150 at the end of the year  use $100 of the balance to renew for another year on Dec 31.  Check with them first closer to the date  though to see the exact date of the balance confiscation . Smiley Wink

Not setting the balance limit at $200 instead of  $150 so that people have room to  add $100 to a balance of between 50 and a $100 with out losing part of it   is just  ...... ... .    I can't think of an appropriate word that won't get me banned, but like you say @Sarcee that is capitalism at work . Smiley Wink