Is it possible to send an SMS directly from my PC using my Rogers account?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Can't quite find the info I'm looking for

I'm a Rogers PayasGo ($20 a month-auto topup) customer with $3 addon for unlimited incoming text and 30 outgoing text a month

Question is: If I text message from Computer to another mobile phone  thru Rogers website

Does that count as an outgoing text message?

Or If I connect to a wireless network thru my phone and text message thru Rogers website thru as eg.. Opera mini browser

Is that a count toward my outgoing text messages?

Hope that makes sense

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Is it possible to send an SMS directly from my PC using my Rogers account?

Did my own testing

Texted with 'Rogers 2 way text' from their website, from Computer and mobile phone

Both were free outgoing, a bit of a PITA on mobile phone, but it does work

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I know that anybody can send SMS-es to my Rogers phone number (I use Pay As You Go cards) with the help of this page: http://websms.rogers.page.ca/2way , the received messages being paid by me.

In a similar manner, is there a modality to somehow use my Rogers account and send SMS-es to other people, who are located in Europe or in Canada?

It can happen that I have to send quite complicated SMS-es which are difficult to write using the keyboard of the mobile phone. I know that, with the help of the page I mentioned above, I can send from the PC this kind of SMS-es to my phone and then forward them further to the mobile of another person but this trick is a bit complicated and expensive, nearly doubling the cost of an SMS.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @bogdanlazar,

Regretfully, it is not possible for you to send SMS directly from your PC using your Rogers account. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

RogersCilio

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

There are several way to send texts to a Rogers cell phone from your PC.  Here is an easy one without having to remember anything or even sign in.

http://websms.rogers.page.ca/web/

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  Thanks for finding this page - boy it is an old web page, but still works.

To do two way conversations, you need to register your phone number - it is not your MYRogers userid and password, a completely different one.

If you don't register, the person has no way to send a message back directly and unless you include details in your message like your name, and phone number, they won't be able to respond. . There is nothing to tell them who it came from.  Just a generic phone number.

It is for texting to Rogers customers, and to use it, you don't even have to be a Rogers customer.

The recipient will get your message with your phone number there, and they respond via their phone.  Your received message is sent to your phone where you can read it there. But it will not include their return phone number as usual, since it is from this web hub.

Play with it a bit and see how it works.

So it certainly isn't a very clean solution, but you can send a message for sure.

I used to use it often because back in 2008 I had a flip phone and it was a pain to type text.

Bruce

Highlighted

@OLDYELLR@BS - The OP is aware of the site, however, looking for a solution where Rogers PayGo account can be used and send SMS through a website to Europe and other parts of Canada. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersMoin  Missed that in the OP.  It is the only option I am aware of.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"There are several way to send texts to a Rogers cell phone from your PC.  Here is an easy one without having to remember anything or even sign in.

http://websms.rogers.page.ca/web/"

Also it is not a page from where I can send SMS-es to non Rogers mobile phones, I would like to try it. However, in all browsers I have experimented with (Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Chrome) I get something like this: 

2017-01-19-RogersSent-SMS-Page.jpg

This is what Internet Explorer displays when I click http://websms.rogers.page.ca/web/ .

I do not know whether there is something wrong with my PC or with the page itself.

Note:

I mention that http://websms.rogers.page.ca/2way/ shows no trace of bugs if I open it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@bogdanlazar

I do not know whether there is something wrong with my PC or with the page itself.

Nothing wrong with your computer - it is just very old browser coding and so graphical layout doesn't populate, just the layout of the text fields and positions of each link.

Even the second one, although no bugs, everything but the 2-way texting is the only thing that is still live, although not fully functional.  The rest of the links on the page redirect to the main rogers.com page.

Coming back to your original posted questions, now that I have looked a bit closer, here are some thoughts.

Only the way you have currently stated in your post.

Your second question about Europe or Canada

only way is the same site, but they have to be Roger's customers receiving the call and you are right, the costs would add up quickly. Don't know if that site does a Rogers phone when it is out of Canada.

"It can happen that I have to send quite complicated SMS-es which are difficult to write using the keyboard of the mobile phone. I know that, with the help of the page I mentioned above, I can send from the PC this kind of SMS-es to my phone and then forward them further to the mobile of another person but this trick is a bit complicated and expensive, nearly doubling the cost of an SMS."

Third party solutions 

One solution that comes to mind would be Skype - it is 14.4 cents per text to Europe (Germany), and you can send via skype to the person who is not a Rogers number or where the costs would be high for you on your pay as you go, and do your long texts from your PC.

https://www.skype.com/en/features/sms/  

You can put in your cell phone number as the id for calling, so they can text back (you pay the .25 for receiving it, they pay whatever their rate plan is over there). So a bit cheaper than rogers pay as you go rates.

If you are doing a lot of those texts, you can add-on international text unlimited for 20.00 per month. That would be equivalent to sending and receiving say around 35 sent and received texts.  That addon is unlimited, so you wouldn't have the issue of double charges.  If I understand it.

Other alternatives, but Europe would not be available, just US and Canda

Google hangouts, and companies like phone go don't yet have international texts, Canada only from PC, but it will not be your phone you are getting your messages back in, it will be in the application on your PC and there is a phone app, but you will have two separate numbers for each, and they are not your regular cell phone number.  Fongo covers calls to most major cities in Canada, but not all.  see https://fongo.com .

Just some thoughts of how you can do what you describe in different ways, but will not be using your cell phone, although with Skype, you will get their messages back on your cell phone.

Alternatives to be able to run your phone from your PC if you are using Android or iPhone

These options allow you to link to your phone via your PC or MAC and you just type your messages ( but here are a couple of alternatives - I have Android and use the Airdroid app described in this article.

There is a solution for iphone as well.

Iphone solutions and Android solutions

http://www.howtogeek.com/221476/how-to-send-sms-messages-from-any-pc-or-mac/

and I don't know iPhone, but here is something else - don't know if it works anymore - old article - they may have a newer way of doing things.

http://www.howtogeek.com/221476/how-to-send-sms-messages-from-any-pc-or-mac/

So, no real clean simple ways of doing what you want to do - type your texts on your PC and send/receive via your phone other than the ones you know about from Rogers already, but there are some options to think about.

If you decide and like something let us all know - in particular, prepaid customers who are losing the ability to run their phones with One Number after january, like me, are looking for alternatives to type via our PC on our phones.

One last thought - if your phone supports it, a bluetooth keyboard?

Bruce