Incoming Text Messages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Incoming Text Messages

This is for Rogers customer service...

I really don't care where the text messages come from, be it Canada or Internationally, but as a Pay As You Go customer I don't expect to be charged for text messages that do not concerm me. Note, these are advertizing texts that are invading my privacy and you do not want to know how abusive I get with tele-marketers.

I don't get that many text messages, but that isn't the point. When you are on Pay Go, my dollars count.

I got a cell phone and went with Rogers Pay As You Go back in 2001 for one reason only, not to chit chat (less than 10 people have my cell phone number), but so that those who have my number and the hospital can get a hold of me when my senior mom is taken to the hospital.

Programming this is a no brainer. You only allow text messages through from numbers that regularly call you...based on my account history.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Incoming Text Messages

Hey @OLDYELLR,

I can certainly understand the frustration of receiving unwanted text messages. Although we do try to filter most SPAM messages before they come through, there are times where a few may slip through the cracks.

When you get a chance, contact the PAYGO department and they can get those charges fixed up for you.

RogersRoland

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

By the way, I forgot to mention.

In Europe when I am with another provider while on vacation, I do not get charged for incoming text messages. What a concept!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GlobalRider

Sadly this is a user to user forum and not much of Rogers will come on here.

I would like to see that as well but that means they would need to re build a old or new plan for it. Its not much of a bad thing per persay but Rogers at time doesn't want to change things up.

I do agree and like that idea tho
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Even simpler, do not charge for any incoming text messages.

Somebody has to send them, so charge them. And when they reply, they will get charged.

Lets face it, text messaging uses no bandwidth and is a cash cow.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When is Rogers or North America going to get with the times and follow the rest of the world when it comes to charges for incoming text messages?

I have a Pay As You Go account and pay for incoming text messages and it will be a frozen day when I pay for incoming text messages that are SPAM.

Follow the leaders in Europe (I would know since I also have and use a European SIM card when there) where all incoming text messages are free...so I could not care less about SPAM texts.

Man are we backwards here!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Canada pays the highest cellphone rates in the world. I can't think of a single incentive for it to be otherwise. Every penny out of our poclets is profit for the carriers.

http://newamerica.net/publications/policy/an_international_comparison_of_cell_phone_plans_and_prices

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Short-Wave

Most Pay As You Go plans include Texting Messaging within the plan that would include incoming texts. 

Check out Rogers.com/paygo for the plan options or SMS add-on to your current plan here.

You also have the choice of monthly plans that have unlimited text messaging included!

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have the most basic Paygo plan. Presently calls are 35 cents/min and texts 25 cents/min. However, it's going up next week.

"Rogers msg: As of May 6/15, the rate per min for the first 5 min of each day at 35¢/min & 15¢/min after will increase to 50¢/min for the first 5 min of each day & 25¢/min after. The long distance rate will increase from 40¢ to 50¢ & the text rate will increase from 25¢ to 30¢. For details: rogers.com/2015"

That's basically a 43% increase for calls and 20% for texts. It's relatively huge.  As I said before,we pay the highest cellphone rates in the world and there are no checks and balances because the CRTC does nothing to encourage competition.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why would I want or need a "plan option" that I have to pay extra for when some cell networks here (and all in Europe) do not charge for incoming text messages.

Just follow suit Rogers and get with the times.

I can also run my time down to $0 and just switch to 7-Eleven Speakout where...wow, what a concept...incoming text messages are free.

Rogers lost my TV business last November...what next...my cell phone as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, take note.

I'd love to know how "they" do it. By they, I mean ALDI TALK, my pay-as-you-go service when I am overseas in Europe.

For starters, incoming calls and text messages are FREE, as they should be. After all, why should I pay for an incoming call that may be the wrong number or an incoming text message that is SPAM?

And get this, talk about ultra low rates for any calls or texts that I do make or send. I made a 14 minute 20 second call to Canada from Germany and it ran me €1.80 or about $2.60. That works out to €0.12 or about $0.17 per minute....OVERSEAS.

And before heading back this July, I topped up my phone with a €15 (under $22) card that expires on July 17...2017...not next month.

Simply amazing. A company that is not greedy.