How much you can accumulate with Pay as you go?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: How much you can accumulate with Pay as you go?

I believe this is not quite right.  The monthly options to roll your balance over to the next month.  I don't think you have to top up IF there is already enough in the account to pay the next month's fee.  The brochure I have , hard copy "Pay as you Go", says , and I quote... "All plans are recurring and valid for one-month period.  If your account does not have sufficient funds to pay the monthly fee of the prepaid plan for the following month at the end of a given month" ... list of rates to be charged.. etc etc   So , from that, I assume that the above means that if there IS sufficient funds to pay the plan for the next month... then life goes on as it should.  So a top up is only required IF the account needs $$ for the next month's fee.  I heard this today from a human on the phone.  Which is different from what I was told the day I set up my account (couple of weeks ago).  I was told that if I didn't top up a minimum of $10 on the 18th each month, my plan would expire, and I'd lose whatever money was in it.  Weird.  I think some of the employees are not well trained, and don't really know what they are talking about, so they just make it up as they go along, not sure.  Anyway, I'll be sure to get a NAME of someone to confirm that I"m right about this (not needing to top up if there is already enough to pay the next month).  It sure is complicated out there...which is why I never got a cell phone before, not sure if all this hassle is even worth it, just a toy, I don't actually need it in my life.  Jury is still out on that one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might just be more symantics on how it was described.

There are MANY people with pay as you go, which DONT keep a ballance on the account... they dont put say $50 in there when it only withdraws $10 a month.. they just add $10 at a time to it.

In that case.. then yes, if you DIDNT add that next $10 to it.. then everything accrued would be dropped.

BUT if you leave money on the tab.. it will withdraw it auto each month, fufilling the payment., and allowing it to continue.

That is my understanding of it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can top up your Pay-Go account anytime, minimum $20, maximum $100 using debit, credit, or a voucher. This does not appear to include using funds from the balance, so to do that you have to go to a Rogers store, where the rep will do that through customer service. However, if I let it expire, even with over $100 balance, I could lose it all and have to start again from square one. It won't automatically renew for you, even if there is enough balance to renew at $20. The account expires at 12:01 a.m. on the expiry date, so you have to renew at least one day before. Technically, one year is only 364 days. I got caught out a couple times, but when I went to the Rogers store to renew, they gave me back my lost balance by renewing from a day before the expiry date. You could not do that on line. 

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

BUT if you leave money on the tab.. it will withdraw it auto each month, fufilling the payment., and allowing it to continue.

What is a tab ....   a credit card  or an automatic  withdrawal from a bank account ?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, this is very helpful.  I have about $30 in my acct, and only need 15.75 to renew, so I'll go to the Rogers Kiosk at the nearest mall and have them call Customer Service for me . Seems kind of a lame bass-ackwards way to accomplish this, since I have more than enough to cover another month.  I should not have to top-up when there's enough $$ to cover the next month. BTW, I have a hard-copy brochure "Pay As You Go" and on the back there is a list of top up amounts, and the lowest one is $10.00.  I'm not done with this issue yet.  I think that "loosing your balance" has got to be illegal, when there is more than enough in the account to pay for the next month.  Shall make some enquires. 

I Plan to Stick Around

If the balance in account is $30, and the monthly fee is 15.75, why would I need to top up at all???  If I don't top up a minimum of $10, is my $30 gone??

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Norah wrote:

If the balance in account is $30, and the monthly fee is 15.75, why would I need to top up at all???  If I don't top up a minimum of $10, is my $30 gone??

Then why would Rogers  bother with a $100 card ? Someone like OY could just buy a $30  card and make it last the whole year. I think the rollover issue is just a customer perk for those on the ball and good customers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

certin sized 'cards' have different expiery dates.. that it runs out, unless more is added.. The smaller sized ones, only lasting 1-2 months.

The $100 card, doesnt expire for a year.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@barndoor wrote:

Then why would Rogers  bother with a $100 card ? Someone like OY could just buy a $30  card and make it last the whole year. I think the rollover issue is just a customer perk for those on the ball and good customers.

I started out with $25 cards, which only last a month, which worked for me. Then I loaned the phone to my son, who was looking for a job, and he went through the minutes in no time. (He's an iPhone addict now.) Then I discovered the $100/year deal, which works out to just $9.42/month including tax. I believe 7-11 Speakout has $50/year cards, but I was too lazy to change carriers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Barndoor: Thanks for your input , I appreciate it!  as for the $100 per year plan, its not quite the same. For $100 a year, there are some "free" (ie included) local calls.  There are two options (described on the back of the Pay as You Go brochure, hard copy.  When I signed up for my $15.75 per month plan, I only "plunked in" $50 to keep me going for 3 months without having to think about it again.  I would NOT have done that if I'd known that I HAD TO top up at least $10 a month (whether my account needed the money or not). The whole thing is very odd. I'd like to talk to a human about it. Unfortunately, every "human" has a different answer on just what the rules are.  My rollover date is Jan 18th and I haven't figured out "the rules" yet.  All very confusing, and in a way, I just want to stomp on the phone and forget I ever had one.  Life was just fine before I got it (two weeks ago).