cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting verification codes by SMS

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Yesterday I tried signing into one of my banks and was asked to have a security code sent to my cellphone which I then had to enter before I could continue.  Since my cell is normally off at home, it took a while for it to boot and update and it took a while for the text to arrive. It seems by the time I entered the code on the website, the code had expired. I tried a couple more times during the day, same thing.  So I called the bank help line, had to give them a lot of personal information and got a new temporary password, which worked. I changed my password, but the next time I got the same thing and I wasn't going to go through the same rigmarole again.  So this morning I turned on my cellphone and gave it a few minutes to boot and update before trying to sign in to my bank again. I got the same security screen and clicked to send a text and this time the text appeared right away and I was able to enter it and complete signing in.  Just to make sure it would keep working, I signed in a couple more times and didn't get the security screen.

Overall, it cost me $3.00 for five text messages to sign in to my bank, of which only the last one worked. Considering that the way I use my cellphone it normally costs me $4 to $6 a year with forwarding unused balance, this is ludicrous. Not a lot of money, but annoying.  So here is my tip. If you need to enter a security code sent by SMS, make sure your cellphone is fully booted and updated before trying, especially if it's an older one, or the code may expire by the time you get the text.

**Added Labels**

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting verification codes by SMS

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have TD bank EasyWeb as well.  It does NOT have to be a cellular number you can choose to have it call your landline phone as well and tell you the security code.   It appears ALL banks have some form of Two Factor Authentication in place to protect customer privacy because there were a high number of reports of Data Breaches and what not..  Not only banks but other institutions and yes even government has mandatory 2 f actor, have you tried accessing your CRA or MyService Canada accounts lately? yes they need it too.

Yes it may be a bit of an inconvenience, but a text or call on your cell or landline is one more step to take but it ensures only YOU are the one accessing your financial account.  In my mind that is peace of mind.

Some of you keep your cell off and maybe even in the glove box of your car, I totally understand.  If  you want to do online banking you better get in the habit of dusting off that ol cell phone of yours or at least setting up the bank to call your landline if  you still have one.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm in the same boat as you with a PAYGo cell phone that costs me almost nothing. However, I never use it for 2FA. I either have "them" send an e-mail, or call by phone (to home phone/landline), depending on who I'm dealing with.

Not sure if your bank has this option, but everyone I deal with (banks, CRA, etc) provides either a phone or e-mail option, which costs me nothing.

There are still a few people who don't have a cell phone, so either an e-mail or phone option may be a requirement for some institutions.  The phone call is not made by a person, but an auto-call with a "robot/computer voice" providing the security code.

I may have used the text option once, just as a test, but it's not something I use regularly.  I no longer turn my cell phone completely off because Rogers only "stores" texts for a few days and I didn't want to miss any texts/notifications, etc. I leave it in standby, that way I don't miss any texts or calls.  I have voicemail turned off  to eliminate PAYGo charges for those, so I simply see the list of missed calls and can call back (usually with my landline) if necessary.  I recharge my cell phone every 3-4 days and check it once a day.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So I'm not sure if you know this but some banks such as RBC Royal Bank, have a different type of 2 Factor Authentication.  When I sign in to the online banking on my Desktop computer, I can enter my Password AND answer a series of "Security Questions" and be fully validated and Logged in.

Another new feature they did was I can sign in to RBC's online Banking, I need to have my phone turned on and close to me, I will get a NOTICE on my phone, THe NOTICE is NOT a text message, but rather a Validation notice from the RBC mobile APP, I just tap it to accept the notice, then the Online banking on my Desktop will sign me in.

Since this is a Notice from an APP and NOT a Text Message, it would not consume any text messages on my plan.

You might want to see if your online bank will send a NOTICE similar to that instead of a Text Message or also check if they offer another form of authentication via security questions

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Pauly wrote:

So I'm not sure if you know this but some banks such as RBC Royal Bank, have a different type of 2 Factor Authentication.  When I sign in to the online banking on my Desktop computer, I can enter my Password AND answer a series of "Security Questions" and be fully validated and Logged in.

Another new feature they did was I can sign in to RBC's online Banking, I need to have my phone turned on and close to me, I will get a NOTICE on my phone, THe NOTICE is NOT a text message, but rather a Validation notice from the RBC mobile APP, I just tap it to accept the notice, then the Online banking on my Desktop will sign me in.

Since this is a Notice from an APP and NOT a Text Message, it would not consume any text messages on my plan.

You might want to see if your online bank will send a NOTICE similar to that instead of a Text Message or also check if they offer another form of authentication via security questions

I have both RBC and TD Canada Trust Easyweb. It was TD that gave me the trouble because I never have my cellphone turned on at home. I've never had such trouble with RBC. I don't do data, so using it would cost me extra.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you with a PAYGo cell phone that costs me almost nothing. However, I never use it for 2FA. I either have "them" send an e-mail, or call by phone (to home phone/landline), depending on who I'm dealing with.

Not sure if your bank has this option, but everyone I deal with (banks, CRA, etc) provides either a phone or e-mail option, which costs me nothing.

I've had no trouble with RBC; it's TD Canada Trust that wanted verification by SMS. I don't know how I ended up giving them my cellphone number. But I see I have a security option to change the number, so I may just change the phone number to my landline and select "Call" if I ever get the security screen again. I can't imagine ever being away from home wanting to access my account  on my cellphone for any reason.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have TD bank EasyWeb as well.  It does NOT have to be a cellular number you can choose to have it call your landline phone as well and tell you the security code.   It appears ALL banks have some form of Two Factor Authentication in place to protect customer privacy because there were a high number of reports of Data Breaches and what not..  Not only banks but other institutions and yes even government has mandatory 2 f actor, have you tried accessing your CRA or MyService Canada accounts lately? yes they need it too.

Yes it may be a bit of an inconvenience, but a text or call on your cell or landline is one more step to take but it ensures only YOU are the one accessing your financial account.  In my mind that is peace of mind.

Some of you keep your cell off and maybe even in the glove box of your car, I totally understand.  If  you want to do online banking you better get in the habit of dusting off that ol cell phone of yours or at least setting up the bank to call your landline if  you still have one.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Pauly wrote:

I have TD bank EasyWeb as well.  It does NOT have to be a cellular number you can choose to have it call your landline phone as well and tell you the security code.

Yes, I saw that option and may just change it.  I'm just not sure if I can have both home phone and cellphone and choose which one to send a text or call to, depending whether I'm at home or out. Ideally there should be a choice.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Pauly wrote:

I have TD bank EasyWeb as well.  It does NOT have to be a cellular number you can choose to have it call your landline phone as well and tell you the security code.

Yes, I saw that option and may just change it.  I'm just not sure if I can have both home phone and cellphone and choose which one to send a text or call to, depending whether I'm at home or out. Ideally there should be a choice.

I see now I can have 5 phone numbers for receiving the security code, so I guess there is a choice. But to add or delete any, I get the security screen to get a security code on my cellphone, which makes sense. Otherwise someone with my account number and password could change it and my password,lock me out and scam me.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just to put this to bed, I was able to add my home phone to my verification phone number list, but I had to receive and enter a code sent to my cellphone to do this. Even though my cellphone was on for quite some time before doing it, it took a while before the text appeared, not immediately like the last time. Fortunately, it was less than "a few minutes" before the code expired. All is good.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So I just found this out:

TD has an app called TD Authenticate as an alternative to an SMS message for Authentication. They introduced it to solve the problem of people traveling and not wanting to roam with their cell phone, but I guess it also solves the problem of people who do not want to receive a text message and get charged every time they receive a text message too.  they can use the Authenticator app when connected to Wi-Fi to solve the problem

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation