cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free PayGo during COVID-19 lockdown?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I very seldom actually use my cellphone, but I always turn it on an take it with me when I leave the house. Yesterday I was out and called someone's cell at home to see if anyone needed anything while I was in a store. It was probably less than 30 seconds and checking my transactions, I see I wasn't charged for the call. I didn't text because I needed an immediate reply.  I'm on a grandfathered talk anytime plan. Just curious if anyone else sees something like this.

*Added Labels*

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Free PayGo during COVID-19 lockdown?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I used my PAYGo cell for the first time in a while for a phone call yesterday (picking up something at the curb) and noticed the same thing. No charge.  It may be part of the "no Canadian long distance" (or any similar Canadian) cell phone freebies during COVID-19.

Thanks, Rogers.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Seems it's not free all the time. I don't normally text, but just had a brief text exchange, 1 text and 2 replies, and was charged  $0.30 for each. Yet I see 3 incoming spam texts today no charge. Weird and inconsistent.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I made a call this morning and it was free.  I haven't tried texting...  Perhaps switch to calling instead of texting until this offer ends?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor
I'll try that next time. It just seems odd because I would think texting uses less resources.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

June 30th Last day of free calls

Just received a text from Rogers that free PayGo calling and Canada Wide Long Distance ends today. (PayGo texts were not free.)  Lucky me, today I had to call my ISP about an internet and home phone problem using my cellphone and the 20-odd minutes cost nothing.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation