Cannot set up Pay As You Go Voicemail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cannot set up Pay As You Go Voicemail

About 1 month ago, I purchased a new, unlocked Android phone and a Rogers SIM card and set up Pay As You Go. My service seemed to be working fairly well until I tried to set up my voicemail a few days ago. When I hold down 1, my phone dials +1-416-272-2786, which I assume is the voicemail retreival number stored on my SIM card. I then get a greeting in English and French asking me to enter my wireless phone number with area code. I do this and then get the reply "XXX-XXX-XXXX is not a recognized mailbox number".

Does anyone know what's going on? Did I wait too many days after activating my phone before setting up voicemail? Does my phone have the wrong voicemail retreival number? Is there a different number for Pay As You Go as compared to regular Wireless?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Cannot set up Pay As You Go Voicemail

Hey @tg87 

If you reach the voicemail server and it prompts you to enter your number. This mostly likely means that on the Rogers Voicemail backend you dont have a voicemail account. You would need to contact Prepaid Support and ask them to confirm that voicemail is on your package incase it dropped off(Their's something spefic they need to put on for the server to recognize you have voicemail). They can be reached at 1-800-575-9090 Press option 4 - Option 4 again - Then option 1 to reach a live agent . Hopes this helps! Comment below if you got your issue resolved Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, not sure, it may have a different number.

I would call the pay as you go #, spam 0 till you get a real person.
They can check to see that voicemail is set up on the plan, etc. And then hopefully confirm the number.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @tg87 

If you reach the voicemail server and it prompts you to enter your number. This mostly likely means that on the Rogers Voicemail backend you dont have a voicemail account. You would need to contact Prepaid Support and ask them to confirm that voicemail is on your package incase it dropped off(Their's something spefic they need to put on for the server to recognize you have voicemail). They can be reached at 1-800-575-9090 Press option 4 - Option 4 again - Then option 1 to reach a live agent . Hopes this helps! Comment below if you got your issue resolved Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks @RogersAsif. I did exactly what you suggested and got the issue resolved in a few minutes. They enabled voicemail at their end and I turned my phone off, waited a couple minutes, and turned it back on. Then I was able to set up my voicemail by holding down 1 and following the instructions.

During the reboot, my voicemail retrieval number got changed to 1-778-288-1453, for which I'm no longer charged long distance!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Nice @tg87 !!!

Glad your issues have been resolved Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi!

I have tried to set up my voicemail via holding 1 and cannot set it up. Was looking for some support from staff as I can't ever seem to get an actual representative. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hello, @Jaswhite

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. We can help with the voicemail setup, please provide your device details. When it's failing, what's the prompt you get? Is it prompting to enter a number etc?

Please check our How Tos section which has both video and step by step instructions, thank you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the advise but I have already followed the how to.

It doesn't recognize my number.

Highlighted

Hello, @Jaswhite

Most likely it's prompting for the voicemail retrieval number, not your personal number. What kind of phone do you have?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Around

cant set up my pay as you go  voice mail it says not a recognized phone number help