cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a TRUE "Pay as you go" with NO monthly fee with Rogers?

PSG
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I'm trying to get my child started with a phone that wil be used only on weekends and hopefully not too often so I simply want a Pay-as-you-go card where I litterally pay as I go, with no monthly fee attached.

That doesn't seem to exist with Rogers ...

The cheapest I find still has a $0.75 monthly fee even though it says so on the front page of PayAsYouGo that one of the advantages of PAYG is "NO MONTHLY FEE"!!

Can soneone please help me make sense of this?

Thank you.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I get a TRUE "Pay as you go" with NO monthly fee with Rogers?

Good evening @PSG,

Thank you for your post!

We have two options of $100 yearly plans available, if you do not wish to subscribe to a monthly package.

Click here for more info! Please note that taxes are extra.

Certain provinces charge an additional 9-1-1 government fee which may also apply. Visit rogers.com/911 for details. Additional cost applies to all other available pay-per-use services.

Let us know if you need more information!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

PSG
I plan to stick around

I think I understand now: there's a $0.75 911 Energency Service Fee which Rogers cannot do without ...

Did I understand this correctly Rogers experts?

Good evening @PSG,

Thank you for your post!

We have two options of $100 yearly plans available, if you do not wish to subscribe to a monthly package.

Click here for more info! Please note that taxes are extra.

Certain provinces charge an additional 9-1-1 government fee which may also apply. Visit rogers.com/911 for details. Additional cost applies to all other available pay-per-use services.

Let us know if you need more information!

RogersMaude

canford
I've been here awhile

True pay as you go

We have one cell phone in the family that is used only three or four times per year, yet Rogers wants us to put $100 into a non-refundable deposit presumably so that call charges are paid for from this pot of money. With only three or four calls per year, this is an astronomical charge for the phone. How can I change to a true pay as you go? Rogers has my credit card number, so could easily charge me for each call. $100 per year is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a phone that is used so seldom. 

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

@canford wrote:

True pay as you go

We have one cell phone in the family that is used only three or four times per year, yet Rogers wants us to put $100 into a non-refundable deposit presumably so that call charges are paid for from this pot of money. With only three or four calls per year, this is an astronomical charge for the phone. How can I change to a true pay as you go? Rogers has my credit card number, so could easily charge me for each call. $100 per year is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a phone that is used so seldom. 

From what I know you have two choices  ...switch to a company where you can do what you are asking for  or..... suck it up and realize that that $100 plan is as cheap as it gets at Rogers .....     It was my understanding that for new customers the lowest paygo  scenario at Rogers is now $10 a month or  a non refundable$120  a year .  Take your pick . Smiley Wink

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@canfordThis true pay-as-you-go plan is no longer offered by Rogers. I have it, but it has been grandfathered. I pay $100 each year, but the balance rolls over and I can use $100 from it to renew. If I only made 3 calls a year, the only cost would be the monthly $0.75 911 charge plus the calls I made. Maybe a few spam texts received. All Rogers offers now is a minimum $10/month plan with various bells and whistles, like no LD charges within Canada, some free texting, and such. If you're really interested in saving money with the few calls you expect to make, I would suggest a provider like 7-11 Speakout. All their plans are good for a whole year and and the rates are cheaper than Rogers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

canford
I've been here awhile
Thank you for the info

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

All Rogers offers now is a minimum $10/month plan with various bells and whistles, like no LD charges within Canada, 

I don't believe any  of the Rogers paygo plans  offer  "no LD charges  in Canada".  One of the reasons I left Rogers ...there are others that do . 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@PSG wrote:

I think I understand now: there's a $0.75 911 Energency Service Fee which Rogers cannot do without ...

Did I understand this correctly Rogers experts?

That's true. But any cellphone, whether there's a plan or not, can dial 911

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

I don't believe any  of the Rogers paygo plans  offer  "no LD charges  in Canada".  One of the reasons I left Rogers ...there are others that do . 

There are plans but you still pay for air time, so not "free". But since I only make one or two long distance calls a year, I haven't looked into it. Before I knew I could use my PayGo balance to renew, I would make my LD calls on my cellphone to use up some of the balance that was just going to waste. Now I don't care if it costs me a buck or two on my landline.

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor wrote:

There are plans but you still pay for air time, so not "free". 

Would you mind  pointing out which Rogers paygo plans  have canada wide minutes  because all I  could find  was plans for local minutes  with a $.50 a minute charge for LD ?  I live in a house that is on  a line between calling areas and 30% of the time i was getting dinged for long distance  even though  I was in the same  house ...just depends which tower picked up the call .  I finally just gave up and switched to a company that did have  a cheap pay go   Canada wide plan .

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor wrote:

There are plans but you still pay for air time, so not "free". 

Would you mind  pointing out which Rogers paygo plans  have canada wide minutes  because all I  could find  was plans for local minutes  with a $.50 a minute charge for LD ?  I live in a house that is on  a line between calling areas and 30% of the time i was getting dinged for long distance  even though  I was in the same  house ...just depends which tower picked up the call .  I finally just gave up and switched to a company that did have  a cheap pay go   Canada wide plan .

That's what I meant, "50¢/minute for Canadian and U.S. long distance calls" because that's the cost of local calls on the old talk anytime plan.

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

That's what I meant, "50¢/minute for Canadian and U.S. long distance calls" because that's the cost of local calls on the old talk anytime plan.

Oh ....ok.   Just wanted to be sure that anyone reading realized that that $.50 /min LD charge is IN ADDITION  to any plan  costs (since Rogers paygo plans are ALL limited to local minutes) or local call airtime charges if you are still on the old anytime plan.

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

If you're really interested in saving money with the few calls you expect to make, I would suggest a provider like 7-11 Speakout. All their plans are good for a whole year and and the rates are cheaper than Rogers.

@Petro Canada  could be added to that list  as well .  The cheapest "anytime" type plan with them is ,a $25 voucher will last 120 days for a yearly amount of $75  rather than $100  .  Their minutes are cheaper @$.30  and they are Canada wide minutes so no long distance,   and they use the Rogers towers so I would assume that means similar coverage . 

canford
I've been here awhile

Thank you barn door. I am Canadian, and this might be an option for us.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation